• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Most creative transistor radio battery substitution...

oregano

So buzz off!
V.I.P Member
A huge problem with old transistor radios (along with stuff like 80s boomboxes and old 70s calculators) is that once the original owner is no longer interested, they simply stash it in the nearest closet...without taking the batteries out first. Alkaline batteries tend to rot if left sitting too long, and the rot then extends to the battery holder of whatever device they're in. The general response to opening up a radio after 10 years of abandonment and being confronted with a mass of yellow crystalline gunk where the batteries once were is to throw the whole mess in the trash...usually.

bp-top.JPG

I found this at an estate sale. It is simply labeled "Blaupunkt Derby", no model number. Blaupunkt didn't sell too many radios in the US-this is pretty much the only one I've seen. Nordmende had an agreement with Radio Shack in the 60s, so that's usually what you see. Of course, there were always radios brought home by GI's, but this is clearly an export model.

bp-label.JPG

This is what the battery compartment originally looked like. Of course, anytime you have a removable door, you're asking for trouble, especially when that door is an integral part of the power system.

bp-battcomp.JPG

And of course this is what happens after the radio has sat for 25 years with batteries installed. Top and springs are both unsalvageable. The red wire was part of the "solution" to the problem...

bp-batt.JPG

...which, of course, was to break out a soldering iron and hook 6 D cells together with jumper wires. I have to admit that I haven't seen this one before, and I've been puttering around old radios for 30 odd years. That red wire was to hook this mess to the radio. There was another one that hooked to the other polarity, but that came out.

bp-solderzoom.JPG

A closer look. Simply solder them all together, shove them in, and pray. These Duracells had 1992 expiration dates, so they too rotted. I threw the batteries away after taking these pix. I have no idea if this worked. Of course, I will do what most normal people with a little more electronics knowledge would do and simply wire in a 9v battery clip. Duh!

One of the other problems you sometimes see is something called 'Black wire disease'. This is where the negative wire corrodes turning black and loses all conductivity.

New Threads

Top Bottom