• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

More Bad News For The Autistic Community

I agree. It highlights autism without paying attention to the more obvious issues presenting. As the article points out, but most people will miss, he also has OCD and a lack of support and positive interventions. His parents gave him money to go to America to pursue his obsession? Why would anyone send a vulnerable and troubled person to another country by themselves?

There must be more to this young man's story than is being told here. He was given money to come live in the U.S. even though his folks knew he'd 'escaped' from a care facility. And it says he was living in his BMW. And yet he does not have work or the means to get work. Wait, what? I am being suspicious but it kinda sounds like the money was given to him to get him to go far away.

Another severely depressed person wants to go out with a bang and make the headlines?

F*** his parents too, seriously. Why even mention if he's autistic, or not. They just want the system to go easy on him.

If you guys don't mind a touch of humor, the reporters who did this article interviewed Gregg Donovan. Now who is Gregg Donovan, and what is his connection to Sanford? Well, Donovan is a guy who stood behind Sanford in a line for the bathroom.
Sanford even held Donovan's spot in line for a bathroom break.
“I was No. 5, and he was No. 4,” Donovan said.

I guess journalists sometimes get desperate, trying to find and interview someone with a connection to whoever the article's about.

Yikes this is bad news for the autistic community. Now people will be in fear of us snapping and and trying to kill them.

This reminds me of the hatred that pitbulls are facing because a Canadian woman was recently killed by a pitbull type dog. Never mind that almost all dog caused deaths in Canada are from other types of dogs-those deaths don't create a furor. Now innocent, well behaved pitbull dogs, who had nothing to do with that woman's death, and who have never hurt anyone, will be euthanized in Montreal and Quebec city as a result of new and coming laws :(

This reminds me of the hatred that pitbulls are facing because a Canadian woman was recently killed by a pitbull type dog. Never mind that almost all dog caused deaths in Canada are from other types of dogs-those deaths don't create a furor. Now innocent, well behaved pitbull dogs, who had nothing to do with that woman's death, and who have never hurt anyone, will be euthanized in Montreal and Quebec city as a result of new and coming laws :(

The good news: Good point.

The bad news: Good analogy too.

Worse still, being at the mercy of an all too often sensationalized media.

*sigh* I guess it will be another 20 or 30 years to hide who we are in order to blend in society without being judged labled oppressed let alone assumed to be murdering psychos.

I hate to say this but Over the past 3 years or so I've seen "Autism Awareness" do more harm than good. Headlines like this are a perfect example. I follow some Autism sites on Facebook and I see almost nothing about "here's how to communicate with an autistic person" but instead it's always "Here's a new device that will help autistic kids feel like they don't have to try as hard." Autism Awareness has now turned into a "popular excuse" that, like others mentioned here before me, allow parents to feel exempt from their responsibilities.

"Our kid got arrested? Not our fault! He's autistic. If we make a big enough fuss about it we'll make the news!"

This idea that we should be coddled with special "autism" toys and walk around with t-shirts, bumper stickers and jewelry to let the world know "it's okay, I'm autistic" is pretty messed up.

Again, I've seen more ignorance crop up than understanding due to the "Autism Awareness" movement. Everyone is more concerned with marketing to the autistic community than they are helping them. "We just came out with a new app to help your autistic kid!" "We just developed a new computer to teach your autistic kid how to program!" "Here's a customizable necklace that shows off your Autism Awareness pride!" "We just found a new study that links autism to fast food!" "We just made a new sport especially for autistic kids" "Here's a new shirt to help autistic kids feel comfortable" "Here's an expensive set of headphones so your autistic kid can ignore you in a socially acceptable way" "Here's a new game specially for autistic kids" it goes on and on and on!

Does anyone else feel a certain familiarity to a highly underrated movie?

http://www.wingclips.com/movie-clips/gattaca/be-realistic

If this doesn't put a chill down your back for the years to come, I don't know what will.

Re: The Gattaca Clip

The woman who tells him to be realistic at the dinner table - is she supposed to be his mother? She doesn't look anywhere old enough to be, unless she is also on the proverbial spectrum (many, if not most, of us look much younger than we actually are), and this is the film-maker's way of saying (or hinting) that people who are will still exist in this world and won't be discriminated against.

New Threads

Top Bottom