• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mood-boosters

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
One of my interests is in supplements so I've tried dozens and dozens and I thought it could possibly be helpful to someone if I were to list the ones which I've found to have noticeable benefits. These can all be bought OTC/online:

-Noopept: nootropic, slight mood and energy boost.

-Sulbutiamine: synthetic derivative of thiamine, moderate mood and energy boost.

-Kava: plant extract, anxiety relief and mood boost, can be rather strong and result in a "drunk" feeling

-Kratom: a plant, a stimulant but reduces anxiety, improves mood and energy, can get you high, has potential for addiction

-Phenibut: the most effective anxiety relief I've ever experienced, can get you get very high, probably should be a controlled substance, mood and energy booster, very high potential for addiction

-Mucuna Pruriens: a bean containing L-Dopa, meaning dopamine results, mood and energy boost, some call it a natural alternative to Adderall, personally I don't think it's strong enough to warrant that

-Uridine Monophosphate: a nuceleotide base found in high levels in beer, I've read it having dramatic effects on mood and energy but personally only experienced a mild effect.

Warning: the majority of these don't mix well with each other.

Don't forget ginseng! Good list. I'll have to check into those, some I know are outlawed here, like Kratom, but hopefully not all.

L- Dopa (Levodopa) is pretty useless without it's counter part Carbidopa as it is near impossible for Levodopa to cross the blood/brain barrier on it's own. Parkinson's meds are a combination of the two.
Drugs & Medications

Alright @Fino. Very informative. As long as no ducks were harmed in the testing stages. l am writing them down and researching.

I’ve never heard of any of those, whoa. I just started taking rhodiola on the recommendation of a friend. Has anyone tried it?

One of my interests is in supplements so I've tried dozens and dozens and I thought it could possibly be helpful to someone if I were to list the ones which I've found to have noticeable benefits. These can all be bought OTC/online:

-Noopept: nootropic, slight mood and energy boost.

-Sulbutiamine: synthetic derivative of thiamine, moderate mood and energy boost.

-Kava: plant extract, anxiety relief and mood boost, can be rather strong and result in a "drunk" feeling

-Kratom: a plant, a stimulant but reduces anxiety, improves mood and energy, can get you high, has potential for addiction

-Phenibut: the most effective anxiety relief I've ever experienced, can get you get very high, probably should be a controlled substance, mood and energy booster, very high potential for addiction

-Mucuna Pruriens: a bean containing L-Dopa, meaning dopamine results, mood and energy boost, some call it a natural alternative to Adderall, personally I don't think it's strong enough to warrant that

-Uridine Monophosphate: a nuceleotide base found in high levels in beer, I've read it having dramatic effects on mood and energy but personally only experienced a mild effect.

Warning: the majority of these don't mix well with each other.

The only supplement on your list that I am familiar with is Uridine which is reportedly beneficial for people with hyperuricosiuric autism (which I have). Because it's affects are not well understood, my doctor prescribes Allopurinol and Chlorthalidone which have also been found to be effective. I have considered trying Uridine just to see if it works.

Saffron has been known since medieval times to boost mood, its main drawback being that it's really too expensive to be viable for everyday use.

I believe 5-HTP is another? I recall hearing people on an anxiety forum recommending it. Another is St John's Wort.

I only go as far as teas if I want to take the edge off - Peppermint or Chamomile are favourites for me. Other people use essential oils too.

I can't say I've ever bothered with supplements myself. Diet tends to cover all areas of nutrients etc. Pair that with a proper sleep pattern, enough water and regular exercise and I think it should improve mood. Add to the mix meditation and mindfulness - provided you maintain these routines, it can really help.

Of course, I understand in this day and age taking a pill is a lot less hassle than dedicating time and effort to improvements in multiple areas. Plus, introducing and sticking to new regimes can be difficult at the best of times, let alone if you're dealing with mood disorders etc. Finding enough enthusiasm or willpower to change can be a monumental task.

Still, it's not to say it's impossible. It feels good when a new routine doesn't end up falling by the wayside. Especially as I know I'm a flaky person. Whilst I can begin new changes with the best and strongest of intentions - my focus on a new obsession can immediately drop off. I know I have to be stubborn with persisting when I want to give up. I'm a stubborn person - so if I expect any new routine to stick I have to be even more stubborn to my internal resistance to change.

Ed

Last edited:
Just looked up Phenibut. I could never take it due to it being too similar to Gabapentin which is a neurontin (Antiseizure med) which causes me toxic psychosis.
Phenibut (β-Phenyl-γ-Aminobutyric Acid) Psychosis - PubMed

Wait, you're saying mixing them could result in psychosis? Because I've taken them together many times. :eek: Maybe I've been in a psychotic state all this time! :confused: And I can't find anything at that link related to Gabapentin. Am I supposed to be able to?

I’ve never heard of any of those, whoa. I just started taking rhodiola on the recommendation of a friend. Has anyone tried it?

I've tried it and don't want to be a downer but felt nothing. But I've often wondered if it's possible I'm just not that sensitive to what I feel because I never feel anything from those sorts of mild things, such as Rhodiola and what another mentioned, St. John's Wort and 5-HTP. I started out with drugs when I was younger with intense, not-so-good things, so maybe that's gotten me jaded. What I've listed in the OP all had immediate and noticeable effects. Rhodiola is meant to work over time. Different nature.

^ Everyone is different. What might affect 1 person negatively may well be ok with you. Best to be cautious, you can Google a drug or substance and it's interactions. At the end of the day, just use common sense. If you don't feel any negative side effects, I suppose you can use it at your disgression. However, in all fairness it probably makes sense to consult your local Doctor before you start taking any new supplmentation or drugs regularly.

Ed

Hooooly cow. Anti-seizure meds caused you to have a psychotic episode? How long had you been taking it before it happened? I have temperal lobe epilepsy, and I’ve been taking lamotrigine for about three years. Did it happen to you right away?
They gave me extreme homicidal thoughts and made me get angry at the drop of a hat within the first month of use. Almost caused my wife and I to divorce. I was first put on Keppra because I told my first neurologist I was having "Seizure like episodes due to lack of a better term." (My exact words) Even though my EEG showed no signs of seizure like activity but the strobe in the face part sent me into overload. At the time I had no knowledge of ASD or SPD so I didn't know it was overload. The Keppra was also causing me to stay in a constant state of overload. Of course it doesn't affect everyone that way so it may never happen to you. I say they because I was also put on Gabapentin for neuropathy and Oxcarbazepine for trigeminal neuralgia.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom