• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mixed-Up New Person

Wolf31

Hello everyone.
I am suspected of Aspergers by my therapist and found that I can relate to most of the traits that I have found while researching it. Hence, not really a formal diagnosis. Some people don't think it is possible for me to be Asperger because I've learned a few ways to hide what appears to be some of the traits. Anyway, hoping to find more answers and maybe some friends here!

Welcome to AC, it's a good place to be with friendly, accepting and helpful folks. You should be able to get a lot of information here which will be helpful to you.

We have a lot of undiagnosed people like myself who have slipped under the radar, spending most of our lives learning how to mask our autistic traits and behaviors.

You are not alone. Welcome to AF.

Hi Wolf31 :)

welcome to af.png

We have a lot of undiagnosed people like myself who have slipped under the radar, spending most of our lives learning how to mask our autistic traits and behaviors.

It is tough, especially when trying to figure out who I am. Some people say one thing, and others say another. I have been told that I was on the spectrum by family for awhile, but I don't know if they were serious or just messing with my head. I'm sure it was similar for you, ya?

It is tough, especially when trying to figure out who I am. Some people say one thing, and others say another. I have been told that I was on the spectrum by family for awhile, but I don't know if they were serious or just messing with my head. I'm sure it was similar for you, ya?

It's usually complicated in terms of what those in your immediate orbit think.

My brother seems to accept it- even understand it in terms of having grown up with me and being able to see my autism for what it is. My cousin on the other hand, just doesn't "buy into it" at all.

I just see the whole process of self-awareness as a journey of sorts, that we must ultimately travel entirely on our own. That it's your perception of your Neurodiversity that counts and no others.

Welcome, @Wolf31! :)

Some family members of mine said the same about me.
My mother used to jokingly bring it up occasionally (at least I think that it was meant to be half-joking with maybe a bit of actually suspecting it). I didn't take it too seriously until I actually started to research Asperger's syndrome and learned more about it. Then I finally understood where she was coming from even in her joking way.
My aunt brought up the possibility of me being autistic after she learned about it without knowing that I had by then considered the possibility of being on the spectrum myself.

My brother seems to accept it- even understand it in terms of having grown up with me and being able to see my autism for what it is. My cousin on the other hand, just doesn't "buy into it" at all.
It is similar with my parents.
My mother seems to think that I'm autistic too like the aunt I mentioned before, but my father "doesn't 'buy into it' at all" as @Judge phrased it.

Hi Wolf31 welcome. I did so much therapy before I self diagnosed that there weren't any issues left except characteristic traits of autism. o_O That made self diagnosis fairly straightforward. It's not all bad though, I attribute plenty of useful strengths and positive traits I have to autism too. :rolleyes: I hope you enjoy it here and find plenty of useful information and ideas.

:snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale:

It's usually complicated in terms of what those in your immediate orbit think.

I just see the whole process of self-awareness as a journey of sorts, that we must ultimately travel entirely on our own. That it's your perception of your Neurodiversity that counts and no others.

Hm, yeah. I'm not even absolutely sure what my issue is. It seems very likely that I am Aspie, and I've taken quite a few tests that put me really high on the scale, but sometimes I think I'm just a freak. I don't know anything anymore... Personality tests label me as INTP, IQ tests give crazy high numbers. Who am I?

Hi Wolf31 welcome. I did so much therapy before I self diagnosed that there weren't any issues left except characteristic traits of autism. o_O That made self diagnosis fairly straightforward. It's not all bad though, I attribute plenty of useful strengths and positive traits I have to autism too. :rolleyes: I hope you enjoy it here and find plenty of useful information and ideas.

:snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale::snowflake::spiralshell::spoutingwhale:
Hmm, that is interesting. I just started therapy about 2 months ago. Thanks!

You are you @Wolf31.
The same person you’ve always been.
A little more self aware, a little more understanding about why you do the things you do.

The whole realisation and acceptance can be a bit of a head-masher to begin with (I found)

This site and especially the people has been a life saver.

There’s tons of information on site when you’re ready for it.

Where are my manners?? Hello and welcome :)

It's an interesting tool to define yourself in a more productive way.

Step inside,take your shoes off.

Relax. Coffee or tea?

There is lots to read,lots of people from all walks of life, take a little time out.

They share their struggles ,talk a load of nonsense (mostly me)

And help each other out.

Your life could be shattered into a million rays of light with a single sentence from a stranger.

It could change your life. Opening up your heart in a new way to future possibilities.

You could say that sentence to someone.

Like I said ,stay a while, take your shoes off.

Oh, maybe try buying new socks once in a while.

Just saying.

You are you @Wolf31.
The same person you’ve always been.
A little more self aware, a little more understanding about why you do the things you do.

The whole realisation and acceptance can be a bit of a head-masher to begin with (I found)

This site and especially the people has been a life saver.

There’s tons of information on site when you’re ready for it.

Where are my manners?? Hello and welcome :)

Thanks! Yeah, it seems to be very much a head-masher right now. I suppose time will help, and not trying to figure everything out all at once...

It's an interesting tool to define yourself in a more productive way.

Step inside,take your shoes off.

Relax. Coffee or tea?

There is lots to read,lots of people from all walks of life, take a little time out.

They share their struggles ,talk a load of nonsense (mostly me)

And help each other out.

Your life could be shattered into a million rays of light with a single sentence from a stranger.

It could change your life. Opening up your heart in a new way to future possibilities.

You could say that sentence to someone.

Like I said ,stay a while, take your shoes off.

Oh, maybe try buying new socks once in a while.

Just saying.

Thanks. You are right, I should read a lot more here.

Hello everyone.
I am suspected of Aspergers by my therapist and found that I can relate to most of the traits that I have found while researching it. Hence, not really a formal diagnosis. Some people don't think it is possible for me to be Asperger because I've learned a few ways to hide what appears to be some of the traits. Anyway, hoping to find more answers and maybe some friends here!
im even more mixed up than you! diagnosed 2.5 years ago! dont have answers! dont even know if i have friends or what that is!people waste !their time thinking i will understand!!! if they explain!!!!!!!!!! the meaning !.
a doctor 5 or six years ago didnt help inferring i was a hypochondriac,to me the medical community think it means we are toxic .
i definitely think some! young and not so young! male NDs are toxic not all!!!!!!!!!.

Thanks! Yeah, it seems to be very much a head-masher right now. I suppose time will help, and not trying to figure everything out all at once.

This may be your saving grace :)
I wanted to know everything, immediately.
I couldn’t take the information in fast enough.
I wanted to find something that disproved my theory.
Needed to find something that meant I couldn’t be on the spectrum.

By going at the information available like an ‘interest’
I wasn’t understanding and assimilating it.
(I was only looking for something to show me I wasn’t asd)

I like what Fridge wrote in his reply about how you might just ‘take a moment’

Breathe, read, slow down.
Those Aspie traits aren’t going anywhere, you have all the time in the world to learn about yourself.

Good luck and I hope we’ll hear from you soon :)

Hello everyone.

I can relate to the difficulties that you are referring to. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at the age of 42, that is after getting a second opinion because the first therapist said I did not have Asperger's. Yet, I spent most of my life living in isolation and I suffer from all the co-occurring conditions of Asperger's: Anxiety, Depression (my depression is now under control), Agoraphobia, A.D.H.D and irritable bowel syndrome (IBS). My advice to you is to seek a diagnosis from a psychologist who specializes in high functioning autism (Asperger's). This the only way that you will know one way or another and only then you will know how to deal with what you have.

Hello everyone.
There is a prevalent Rain Man stereotype of what it is to be Autistic. Sadly, that stereotype is not going away any time soon although people are becoming more educated and open-minded about the matter. I think we all eventually learn ways to pass in the neurotypical society. I know that I no longer outwardly appear as Autistic but the efforts to pass leave me physically, mentally, and emotionally spent. Even though I have developed some social skills, the self-discovery only took me so far as I have significant difficulty deciphering the unwritten rules at work. Thus, I continuously have problems figuring out what the expectations are beyond what is written down in a job description. I still have a lot of sensory issues that aren't going away and may actually be worsening with age.

New Threads

Top Bottom