• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

mixed drugs messages

Aspergers_Aspie

Does anyone think, in the 80s, there were mixed messages regarding drugs?
On one had there was grange hill
The 1986 cast released Grange Hill: The Album, with two singles: "Just Say No" (tying in with a character's heroin addiction) and "You Know the Teacher (Smash Head)". The album was re-released on CD on 12 November 2007,
But there was this song

Pass the Dutchie - Wikipedia

I remember hearing that song when I was a kid, but I had absolutely no idea that it had anything to do with drugs. I think that the name and lyrics were changed so as not to so obviously be a cannabis reference.

I think that there has always been 'mixed messages' regarding drugs, including now. It's the best form of advertising.

"Just Say No" in the eighties was First Lady Nancy Reagan's mantra.

And she had quite a lot of influence in society, apart from the West Wing.

"Drugs" is a very wide category of things. If you insist on treating them all as a single topic you're surely going to end up with contradictions. I don't see anything contradictory about 'heroin bad, marijuana okay'.

Marijuana has certainly been a 'gateway drug'. That's because it's been classified with heroin and crystal meth, and people equate them. Ethanol is also a drug, but it's legally treated differently. Nobody points out that the vast majority of people on heroin tried beer first. Or aspirin.

There are still mixed messages regarding drugs. There is still profit in drugs. I live in Canada, and am subjected to the occasional American drug advertisment. "Do you suffer from problem X? Our drug can reduce symptoms (shows rich healthy people enjoying life). May cause bleeding lungs, heart palpitations, bowel excavation, or, in rare cases, exploding head."

I do remember the song Pass The Dutchie. From what I recall it was misunderstood that "Dutchie" meant a joint and instead was slang for a Dutch Oven cast iron cooking pot.

Google "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane. It's what I grew up with. Also "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles. Two completely different points of view.

People with psychological problems should avoid illegal drugs. People who are in good mental health probably should too but they are at far less risk of self destruction.

There has always been a line drawn where interest lies. Think of the old trope that pot was bad and opiates were perfectly safe. Ummmmm. Never trust the special interests. Do a lot of your own research. A group called MAPS is working on hallucinogens as medication. It is fascinating. I don't know where I stand on any of it, to be honest. But the conversation is getting a lot wider.

I wasn't alive during the '80s but from what I gathered, this phenomenon has only become even more insidious and pervasive in modern times. I can definitely see how society (as that it can be reduced to a single, monolithic entity) has some pretty hypocritical views on the consumption of drugs.

Considering how probable it was that Reagan's CIA introduced crack to the the inner cities, it makes sense that he would vehemently contradict himself publicly to justify - and generate support for - his "war on drugs". And we all know what a resounding success that's been!

I'm a living testament to the positive psychoactive effects that weed can have on an Aspie. I mainly use it as a "social lubricant" whenever I'm hanging out with my comrades, but also to heal myself from my near-daily PTSD flashbacks, and most importantly, to enhance my creativity. But aside from the ganja, and the occasional booze, I stay away from any of the harder stuff. This is just out of personal preference and a desire for self-preservation. I've seen more than enough cautionary tales in my own life...

However, I will admit I'm kinda curious to try out shrooms someday. But I'm wary of any psychedelic because I have an uncle with paranoid schizophrenia, and the last thing I need is to have a catastrophic psychotic episode, lose all the incredible progress I've made in the past several years, and end up like him. If I take any mind-altering substance, I simply want reality to feel warmer and for the colors to look a bit brighter, not the ability to telepathically communicate with God and smear my own feces on the walls, thank you very much!

So I have a genetic rationale for my doubts about psychedelics. If I do ever get a hold of some shrooms, I'll only consume a minuscule dose, and with a close friend physically present... preferably my honeybear, who's expressed a similar curiosity. I know he's by my side no matter what happens, so he'd make an ideal "trip sitter". It'll be an interesting date idea, that's for sure...

I don't buy the whole BS "weed is a gateway drug" narrative - not for a second. But I do think that same idea is more accurately applied to alcohol, which is exponentially more normalized in our culture, and more crucially, opioids. Don't get me started on those.

While I don't mean to come off too like a tin foil hat-wearing lunatic, I do think the pharma giants have seriously prioritized profit over genuinely improving people's lives. This is unfortunately inevitable with any massive corporation under capitalism, regardless of what products they offer, and medicine is no exception.

Just think about all the lives that have been ruined and potential squandered by domineering, patronizing "parents" of autistic kids who drag them to shrinks and force-feed them zombifying doses of so-called "AnTi-pSyChoTiC" drugs, just to get them to shut up and fall in line. I can not put into words the sheer level of disrespect and revulsion I feel for any p-doc who profits from the psychiatric-industrial complex.

Often times, psychiatrists will not disclose any information about what they're prescribing. They look at their patients like circus sideshows, talk down to them like preschoolers, and coerce them to amputate their own souls and / or chemically castrate themselves with these poisonous meds. Their justification is that it's all "for the patient's own good", as if somehow they know what's "best for them" better than the patient themself. Then, the patient, mentally surrendered and reluctant to self-advocate for fear of being sectioned, is successfully guilt-tripped into taking these pills in pursuit of some fabled "sanity"... all so the doc can go on a golf retreat at GlaxoSmithKline's expense or some s**t like that.

You may wonder why I'm so goddamn bitter about shrinks. I have a deep, personal reason for this. The sad state of affairs with my uncle is all because he was taking a nap one summer day, and his AC broke down, causing his body to overheat. Basically, all the lithium in his blood boiled. And now, he's confined to a nursing home for the rest of his life, wheelchair-bound and unable to speak in anything except for slurred monosyllables.

My number one greatest nightmare is to be taken advantage of in a moment of vulnerability, like he was all his life, and me being set on a course where I end up in a similar position as him. A waking death, a living Hell, like the protagonist of the Metallica song "One".

This may sound kinda twisted, but out of compassion for my uncle, I wish he passed away then. If I could find out the name of the Dr. Mengele wannabe who first prescribed him lithium, I would sue his ass to kingdom come. This egregious case of malpractice makes me want to puke blood and drown Mt. Everest.

Sorry for all the ranting and raving, like I typically do. When I think about these things, I tend to get pretty heated. I hope a few of you were able to gain at least some insight or catharsis from this post.

Yeah, it would seem perhaps the most lingering mixed message that continues to transcend time right up to the present are those claims that marijuana is a "gateway drug". Seems to me that's just another false narrative designed to bolster select bureaucrats and law enforcers who profit from the failed "war on drugs".

That the reality is and always has been one's individual metabolism relative to whatever substance they ingest.

Though I also recall psychologist Dr. Timothy Leary and how he continued to advocate the use of LSD from the late 60s onward until his death in 1996. Seeing people take acid always seemed like risky business. With some having good trips and others not so much. And flashbacks happening later at a less appropriate time.

Lithium is a dangerous drug. The difference between a therapeutic dose and a dangerous dose is pretty small. Overheating and dehydration can exacerbate this. So can crunching a timed-release tablet. If someone is prescribed Lithium, they should be monitored by a reliable 3rd party.

Ironically, just as cocaine used to be an active ingredient on Coca Cola, lithium used to be the active ingredient in 7=Up.

I probably consumed a Godly amount of LSD when I was a youngster. Never had a bad trip. I used to joke that I wished I could have flashbacks so I could save the money. OTOH I know people who totally freaked out just from smoking a small amount of pot and ended up in the ER. Everyone is different. All depends on what baggage you bring to the show and how you react to the changes in perception.

My reaction was "Wow man. Far out!" Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. Other people think they are going insane or that their brains were being permanently damaged. White Rabbit. Doesn't matter that it won't happen, it is the fear that makes it traumatic.

But if you are on an SSRI, serotonin poisoning is a very real risk. Not Just an out-of-control trip, in rare cases you can die.

Last edited:
Lithium is a dangerous drug. The difference between a therapeutic dose and a dangerous dose is pretty small
For real. I once had a patient with permanent brain damage from a previous lithium overdose due to dehydration. Another patient of mine died from lithium toxicity during my holiday when she got a fever and her attending doctor didn’t realize dehydration and lithium are a dangerous combination. She never got IV fluids so she became violently ill, slipped into a coma and never woke up. It was incredibly sad. When I was prescribed lithium myself I was drinking water obsessively because I was so scared of lithium toxicity. So glad I’m no longer on that stuff.

Google "White Rabbit" by Jefferson Airplane. It's what I grew up with. Also "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" by the Beatles. Two completely different points of view.

People with psychological problems should avoid illegal drugs. People who are in good mental health probably should too but they are at far less risk of self destruction.
Lucy in the sky with Diamonds isnt about LSD, apparently Julian Lennon came home from junior school, and gave his artwork to his dad, John asked what it was, he(Julian) said quote"Lucy in the sky with Diamonds".

For real. I once had a patient with permanent brain damage from a previous lithium overdose due to dehydration. Another patient of mine died from lithium toxicity during my holiday when she got a fever and her attending doctor didn’t realize dehydration and lithium are a dangerous combination. She never got IV fluids so she became violently ill, slipped into a coma and never woke up. It was incredibly sad. When I was prescribed lithium myself I was drinking water obsessively because I was so scared of lithium toxicity. So glad I’m no longer on that stuff.

Wow, I've been taking lithium for years without worrying about any of that. :eek: My doctor told me my lithium levels are on the low side so maybe that's a factor.

Wow, I've been taking lithium for years without worrying about any of that. :eek: My doctor told me my lithium levels are on the low side so maybe that's a factor.
Hey, if they work ;) I never actually got my lithium levels up to the therapeutic window, somehow my body eliminated the stuff like crazy and I had a lot of side effects without experiencing any benefits.

Lucy in the sky with Diamonds isnt about LSD, apparently Julian Lennon came home from junior school, and gave his artwork to his dad, John asked what it was, he(Julian) said quote"Lucy in the sky with Diamonds".
Julian was born in 4-1963. Sgt. Pepper was recorded in 5-1967. Given that records take time to produce, Julian would have been barely 4 at the oldest. When I checked, junior school starts at age 7. Maybe nursery school?

And just because the inspiration might have come from something Julian said, it doesn't change the way the song would obviously be taken. This was the 60s after all. John was describing a perfect acid trip (even if maybe unintentionally or perhaps subconsciously) which is how I was using it. He'd done acid enough to know.

Also on the same album, "A Day in the Life" is inspired by LSD. British radio stations wouldn't lay it because of the obvious drug reference. And "Fixing a Hole" was not about home repair.

Last edited:
The first one of these types of songs I heard was Puff the Magic Dragon.
It was very clever.

And, funny...I woke up this morning with White Rabbit in my head and I haven't even heard it in years. :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom