• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Missing my cat

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
Today I am missing my cat really badly. Her name was Ashley and she gave me 18 wonderful years. She died last fall from diabetic complications and age. She was an amazing kitty that was my constant companion, and oftimes, caregiver. She used to meow at me when it was time for bed or time for me to take my medicine. If I got up in the middle of the night she would cock one eye open as if to say, "Boy, go back to sleep." If I was upset or sad, she would groom my arms as she would to an upset kitten. When I came home from work, she was always happy to see me. I'm still kind of grieving as I was hoping to have her as I recover from gastric bypass surgery. Instead, I am on my own.

Today I am missing my cat really badly. Her name was Ashley and she gave me 18 wonderful years. She died last fall from diabetic complications and age. She was an amazing kitty that was my constant companion, and oftimes, caregiver. She used to meow at me when it was time for bed or time for me to take my medicine. If I got up in the middle of the night she would cock one eye open as if to say, "Boy, go back to sleep." If I was upset or sad, she would groom my arms as she would to an upset kitten. When I came home from work, she was always happy to see me. I'm still kind of grieving as I was hoping to have her as I recover from gastric bypass surgery. Instead, I am on my own.

I can really relate to this Matt. I'm having some problems with my legs which cause a lot of pain and my cat Lucy will come running up to me if I'm in bed and start making pain noises. She seems to understand I'm in pain and will start licking me on my forehead or arm, snuggle into me and purr loudly. She reaches out her paw and grabs my hand and brings it to her face to rub it. Last night I was thinking that she's a therapy cat without ever having been trained to be one! I hope you will consider adopting another cat or kitten! You sound like a great cat daddy!

lilly

I know the feeling. Lost a family cat not too long ago and one before that (and another before that), so I definitely can relate. Sorry for your loss, truly.

I'm always missing my little friend as well. My Yorkie left this world almost thirteen years ago.

But for me the sense of loss has become too great to have acquired another pet. It didn't help that the following year I also lost my one and only true advocate- my mother.

Last edited:
I too can relate to this. It's really difficult to lose a lifelong feline friend and I am truly sorry for your loss.

Our pets can be a great comfort to us, especially when we're feeling low or unwell.

Sorry to hear about your loss, and sorry you're having such a rough time.

A relationship with a cat is something special. I lost my favorite kitty to tainted pet food; she would groom my hair, licking and pulling out knots with her teeth - and I'd let her because it told me she wuvved me. And cat wuv is the best kind of wuv.

I know how it feels from when I lost my last cat Christine (Chrissy for short) from cancer, it's a horrid feeling to say the very least and I will never ever forget her, I paid to have her cremated properly and I have her ashes. Against all advice to grieve first the next day after a very restless night missing my cat I went straight to the cat rescue centre and got another. I felt guilty at first because she was a different cat and it just didn't feel right, but it did help me take my mind off the loss and now I've gained the same close bond with my current cat Chloe who is now 4 years old. Perhaps you should think about doing the same, there's masses of cats in rescue centres that need good loving homes.

When my cat was terminally ill I tried everything including spiritual healing which was given free. I can't prove it helped, but I will say that she seemed to enjoy life and was still running around right up until the night before she died when she suddenly went dramatically downhill. After she passed away the healer said the following:

"I will continue to send Healing to Chrissy , when she has recovered from her earthy condition she will be reunited with you."

I hope that is true and the same is true for you and Ashley, I wish you the very best.

Last edited:
I'm always missing my little friend as well. My Yorkie left this world almost thirteen years ago.

But for me the sense of loss has become too great to have acquired another pet. It didn't help that the following year I also lost my one and only true advocate- my mother.

@ Judge,
Do you not realize how many advocates you have on this forum? I hope you don't feel you are without friends who believe in you because I think you have many here. You would leave a huge hole if you left us.

I've lost several pets and you never really forget them. But I try to focus on the fact that they all had an amazing life (far better than my own) and I did everything I could to reduce any suffering they experienced before they died. They had the best time they could while they were alive on this planet and I did my best to make sure they were happy right up to the end. That's all you can do.

I’m sorry for your loss,I lost my pet staffy Sprocket a few days before Christmas and he was only 3 years old,I miss having a friend so I definitely know the pain.

So relatable
My cat only lived 7 years, she barely kept me going in my emotional lows amongst bullying and abusive parents.

Sorry for all of you that have lost little loved ones. I have 4 in an attempt to soften the blow when it comes. Probably won't work. Remember though, there are lots out there in the shelters, if you can manage it.

When my cat died when I was 15 (my first real pet bereavement) a friend said "He's gone through the Pearly Cat-Flap" which cheered me up a bit. Of another cat I said "He's scampered up the stairway to heaven" (this cat was never one to take stairs at a measured pace!) <3

I'm so sorry for your loss Matt. I know how hard it is to loose a furbaby that helps in so many wonderful ways. I've lost three of them in the past 12 years. I miss them everyday.

I've loved all the cats I've been the staff for even that bully Oreo who would chew the **** out of my arm if I petted him too long.
From your description you had a special Companion in Ashley. Those that think cats don't love their staff either haven't had one themselves or haven't paid attention.
Or maybe that's just Stockholm's syndrome speaking :)
I know your pain - I have 3 loved ones passed. Oreo angry as he was, Bozo who chased dogs and peed on you if you petted him too long and sweet Wig always playful and willing to cuddle.

New Threads

Top Bottom