• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

missing element/an element that should be missing

WereBear

License to Weird
V.I.P Member
It seems likely that you are like me: indifferent to "objects for status."

And yet, this seems to be an intrinsic element of the species:

“Humans evolved in small social groups in which image and status were all-important, not only for survival, but for attracting mates, impressing friends, and rearing children. Today we ornament ourselves with goods and services more to make an impression on other people’s minds than to enjoy owning a chunk of matter — a fact that renders ‘materialism’ a profoundly misleading term for much of consumption. Many products are signals first and material objects second. Our vast social-primate brains evolved to pursue one central social goal: to look good in the eyes of others.”

Consumerism’s Dirty Little Secret: Are We Buying All the Wrong Things?

But perhaps our view of this is evolving as a species. Because we don't have to be held in thrall to our instincts. Especially when those instincts are standing in the way of survival; not helping.

Remember Thorstein Veblen.

Veblen is famous for the idea of "conspicuous consumption". Conspicuous consumption, along with "conspicuous leisure", is performed to demonstrate wealth or mark social status. Veblen explains the concept in his best-known book, The Theory of the Leisure Class (1899). Within the history of economic thought, Veblen is considered the leader of the institutional economics movement. Veblen's distinction between "institutions" and "technology" is still called the Veblenian dichotomy by contemporary economists.​

What do you think? Are we more evolved, and others will catch up to us?

I'd like to think so, but have no way of proving it. I don't need to claim that I'm "better" than NTs; I'm perfectly content with staking out that "different" territory. (What's better, Android or iPhone? Well, it depends...)

I think that consumerism is complicated and motivated by quite a number of factors. Status is just one reason to buy and the status someone is looking for varies from person to person. I just ordered a three pack of owl socks. What does that say about me???? Is there some sorta status attached to owning owl socks? And if there is, what is that status? What am I trying to project? Anything???? Or do I honestly just love owl socks? I also ordered one pair in avocado green socks with a little half an avocado near the top. What does that say about me? Human behavior is weird and I can't even figure my own out. There is this one tendency of mine I have always wondered about; my bragging about how an item of clothing I have was either found or bought used for 50 cents or less. I get really excited to say, "these socks I'm wearing, I found them in a parking lot!" Just doesn't make sense to volunteer such info, most people think it's gross to wear socks found in a parking lot. Am I trying to repel people? Don't know, the post just got me to thinking here in public.:rolleyes:

I think that consumerism is complicated and motivated by quite a number of factors. Status is just one reason to buy and the status someone is looking for varies from person to person. I just ordered a three pack of owl socks. What does that say about me???? Is there some sorta status attached to owning owl socks? And if there is, what is that status? What am I trying to project? Anything???? Or do I honestly just love owl socks? I also ordered one pair in avocado green socks with a little half an avocado near the top. What does that say about me? Human behavior is weird and I can't even figure my own out. There is this one tendency of mine I have always wondered about; my bragging about how an item of clothing I have was either found or bought used for 50 cents or less. I get really excited to say, "these socks I'm wearing, I found them in a parking lot!" Just doesn't make sense to volunteer such info, most people think it's gross to wear socks found in a parking lot. Am I trying to repel people? Don't know, the post just got me to thinking here in public.:rolleyes:
Dang! Now I HAVE to have owl socks! But they'd better be name brand. ;)

It seems likely that you are like me: indifferent to "objects for status."

And yet, this seems to be an intrinsic element of the species:

“Humans evolved in small social groups in which image and status were all-important, not only for survival, but for attracting mates, impressing friends, and rearing children. Today we ornament ourselves with goods and services more to make an impression on other people’s minds than to enjoy owning a chunk of matter — a fact that renders ‘materialism’ a profoundly misleading term for much of consumption. Many products are signals first and material objects second. Our vast social-primate brains evolved to pursue one central social goal: to look good in the eyes of others.”

Consumerism’s Dirty Little Secret: Are We Buying All the Wrong Things?

But perhaps our view of this is evolving as a species. Because we don't have to be held in thrall to our instincts. Especially when those instincts are standing in the way of survival; not helping.

Remember Thorstein Veblen.

Veblen is famous for the idea of "conspicuous consumption". Conspicuous consumption, along with "conspicuous leisure", is performed to demonstrate wealth or mark social status. Veblen explains the concept in his best-known book, The Theory of the Leisure Class (1899). Within the history of economic thought, Veblen is considered the leader of the institutional economics movement. Veblen's distinction between "institutions" and "technology" is still called the Veblenian dichotomy by contemporary economists.​

What do you think? Are we more evolved, and others will catch up to us?

I do not think that we are more evolved that NT's, we just evolved differently. Because of our different neurology, we process information differently. Usually in a more logical, practical way. I really do not care about social status. Everything I believe to be true, all of my priorities and almost every thing that I do are based on logical thought. This is not how most NT's think. But I have never made a conscious decision to think like this, just as most NT's have not made a decision to think the way that they do. Will they catch up to us? I do not think so, because we a not better. Just different.

Behold: my latest sock purchase.

womens-bob-ross-blue-happy-clouds-socks_ab6d597d-757a-45e2-aa6b-70bc5697f02a.jpg

'More evolved', 'better'? That's a dangerous train of thought.

Fair enough. Once upon a time, in small groups, such tokens of esteem were valuable indicators of a person's wisdom and utility.

But now it leads to mayhem and envy and problems. We now have better indicators than a Rolex (what, you can't afford a phone?) or the like.

do owl socks look like ?i'm intrigued thanks

I'm all for buying what I really need (or want in some situations) BUT...

It has to provide me value. It has to fit the uses I need it for.
I don't not like having things around that take up space for no reason.
I don't collect things as much as some seem to (and thats fine that they do)...

I like a modern minimalist approach to my life. Simple, clean, high quality but not a mass of things.

Some examples: I no longer buy any DVD or CD's. I can pick and choose what I want as far as music goes from iTunes, and rent what I want on Yahoo or something like that, but watch very little nearly zero movies, or TV. I just don't care much for television, never have.

I don't buy any type of knick knacks or anything like that.
I invest in stuff that is simple but useable. I don't need lots of gadgets and weird cooking things, house wares, or special coffee pots... I just like simple but stuff that will last and in my freakish OCD world, it has to match (somewhat)... Odd pieces just kind of mess me up... Kind of like the eggs not being even in the carton thing from a while back...

My clothes (I don't have lots of clothes and they are mostly boring).
It goes by how soft they are, tag-less preferred, that fit me loose, but don't fall off of me.

I'm not "tight" or "cheap"... I will spend money on what I specifically want, but not on just random stuff that will make do for now, and then throw it away soon after that, because it was cheap and of no quality.

I am in no way an "impulse buyer," and if someone is pressuring me, (like a car salesman)... No deal because I'm no longer interested. I usually kind of hint that upfront because it annoys me that bad, and it ruins the whole experience mostly.

I will save my money to buy a higher quality item, but I will not buy an item just for a "brand name." Some "brand name" stuff doesn't seem to be any better, or as good as something that might be from an independent, or small business.

So I do think I shop and think different about what I buy, compared to many people, but maybe not who knows... : )

Fair enough. Once upon a time, in small groups, such tokens of esteem were valuable indicators of a person's wisdom and utility.

But now it leads to mayhem and envy and problems. We now have better indicators than a Rolex (what, you can't afford a phone?) or the like.

Maybe... But on the watch thing... I had like 5 decent watches. I sold them all (not for a Rolex, or high dollar watch) but for the ONE watch I truly wanted which is my Apple watch (which isn't really expensive). It pairs with my iPhone, I can switch music on car radio with it, I can scribble text (nightmare but it works)... It has a use in my life, where as the other watches, were just watches that I never even wore mostly... So that how I thin stuff out, but also get what I want.

I got excited when I saw there was another sock-o-phile here. Then I saw found in parking lot . No! I like to avoid cat pee and tinea. I also knit socks. Colorful, weird, whacky.

I got excited when I saw there was another sock-o-phile here. Then I saw found in parking lot . No! I like to avoid cat pee and tinea. I also knit socks. Colorful, weird, whacky.
You knit socks! I knitted a few pair but never got the fit quite right and just gave it up.

In my defense:D, I am fairly sure the socks were from a cyclist I had seen earlier who had been walking on the beach and got his feet wet. We saw him next to his groups support van in the parking lot at the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge telling his story of his wet feet. (it was in May last year, anyone reading this who thinks I may have found their socks, I am keeping them! :pSorry.) About two hours later when we returned from our walk the van and cyclist were all gone but a pair of wet socks was laying there. I washed them three times. As for cat pee, yeah, :eek:yuk. I used to have a cat that peed on me when he was mad.

I feel excited when I find a really good price on something I need that is of a good quality.
The name doesn't matter.
Lasting quality does.

As far as fun things like Owl Socks, yeh, if the price is right and I know I'll get some wear out of them.
I like the occasional what some might call outlandish looking things, again if the price is right, for fun.
Not for a status, unless it's maybe to show I'm fun loving and don't care if it's something weird.
It's a bit of fun just for me. Got to have a little fun.

I've lived a while on this planet and while I don't think some people will ever give up the social status stuff,
I have seen changes.
Some of it may be because the Florida lifestyle is more casual, but, overall where ever I am, it seems to me the social stuffed shirts are less in the general population than they used to be.
Just my observation. But, I like what I'm seeing.

New Threads

Top Bottom