• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Minimalism and Anti-Consumerism

Mattymatt

Imperfectly Perfect
Is anyone else out there interested in minimalism and anti-consumerism? Lately, I have begun trying out a new lifestyle to break free from all of this buy, borrow, and spend nonsense. I've found it very freeing. Over the past year, I have stopped buying brand new things. When I want/need something, I search for it second hand on Craigslist and LetGo or go to thrift stores. I am so over helping to line corporations with money that does not ever make its way back to the people that work for them; my own little piece of corporate/societal subversion, if you will. When I needed furniture for my apartment, second hand was the way to go. When I needed new microwave/toaster ovens, I found them at Good Will.

It feels so good to not be trapped by the consumerist culture. I lead a purely utilitarian life. My clothing is also very utilitarian, not really fashionable, and I could care less. I got into some reddit discussions about work and jobs and I notice that everyone is chasing the almighty dollar. Why!? Whatever happened to living a life well below your means so that by the end of the month you have a net savings? Isn't it stressful to accrue large amounts of consumer debt?

The other day someone smirked at me for my simple ZTE smartphone. That same person I later heard whining about not earning enough to pay the bills. If more people considered their absolute needs versus their wants and did not get lured into buying stuff they don't need, maybe they wouldn't have to chase the dollar?

I have a mixture of new and second hand items in my flat. Some things I received as a gift. I like things to be functional, useful, to serve some purpose - I would never buy something just to show off or make a statement. I dress for comfort, not for style. I like to keep things simple: too many things tire me. Some people I know buy a new mobile phone as soon as a new model comes out, but not me: I have had the same one for over 6 years. I don't consider myself to be a slave to consumerism and couldn't afford to anyway. I do like to keep my PC and software/hardware modern and up to date, though, especially as I use them for work.

I do like to keep my PC and software/hardware modern and up to date, though, especially as I use them for work.

The nice thing about PC computers in the last 10 years is that they really don't need to be upgraded as often. Although my main workstation PC is state of the art(less than a year old). The 2 other PC's in my shop and living room are over 10 years old and still run great to this day. It's amazing how much faster your PC runs when you can keep those stupid systray programs from autoloading. Plus I don't run antivirus software. Instead, I use my computer in a limited non-administrator account. That way, if something bad gets into my machine. I just delete the account and create a new one.

I have simple tastes, too. Since I retired from work, the only clothes I buy are things I need for a trip or travel or a special occasion such as a wedding. I'm frugal shopper, use coupons, and watch for sales and discounts. Our house does not need any more furniture so when I recently inherited some antique family pieces, I gave away some furniture to make room for the newly acquired stuff.

I hate knick-knacks, dust-catchers, and stuff like that so tables and surfaces are uncluttered. My cell phone is at least 5 years old and I never download anything to it although I do occasionally allow it to update itself (and then fight with it so I don't have to insert my fingerprint or a password to use it.) I have a very nice luxury car in the garage but prefer to drive my old farm truck most places.

I never borrow money - ever - so everything has long been paid for and we have only monthly bills for electricity, insurance, etc. I use a VISA card with cash back rewards to buy groceries and gas, and pay off the total balance every month so I never incur interest charges. The accumulated cash on the VISA card helps pay for our vacations. I buy few souvenirs on vacation, mostly for my kids and grandkids, as I really have everything I want.

I never buy music or movies or any kind of "entertainment" anymore because it is easy to entertain myself with satellite radio and TV, Netflix, library books and art supplies accumulated over the years. I like to garden so I grow a lot of our food such as tomatoes, all kinds of peppers, lettuce and other greens, beans, okra, corn and all kinds of herbs. I grow food mostly in large pots in the backyard which are easier to manage than planting in the ground. Gardening is probably my favorite hobby. It's economical and guarantees that my food is fresh and truly organic, not that I'm hung up on eating only organic food.

Inflation is going up in the US, gas prices are really going up, and it remains to be seen what Trump's tariffs and PO'ing all our allies with his immature rantings will do to our economy and the cost of consumer goods here.
We've always saved money and lived well within our means so I know we will be secure and financially sound in the future. It's a nice feeling to not worry about having enough money.

In my opinon it's like another social norm, that I've never ascribed to. The majority of people see having money and chasing it as the ultimate goal but never stop to think about what they are doing, if they ever reach that goal, what comes next and why is money so important to them to begin with? For me, it's just a necessary thing to live. The only good I can see from having a lot of money is the ability to hand it out to those in need after taking care of your own.

I think there are much important matters to be thinking about and figuring out. The majority are too focused on what everyone else is doing to really appreciate what they do have and the things that mean so much more than money ever could. How much does having the newest phone really matter if it means you're further in debt? You're seriously going to boast about having the latest tech when you don't even really own it and what's so great about it anyway? A phone that works is all you need.

I agree. Having everything you need and having money left is much more satisfying than never seeming to have enough and always chasing more at the cost of the happiness they think they'll achieve but never do because there's always something else. I'm not against new, or having new things. I just think it's in the reason for and ability to acquire it that's important.

Completely agree with you! Years ago I read a book explaining that we vote with our dollars and we end up voting a lot of power to huge companies. And that isn't at all a good thing to do.

I have an old flip phone, buy most of my clothes at thrift stores (actually primarily one thrift store) and even at that I try to keep as simple and small a wardrobe as possible (and am trying to simplify it more all the time), trim my own hair, have no netflix or cable or anything similar, get used books and the library, and so on and so on.

Of course I buy new sometimes because sometimes used turns out pretty much impossible. I bought a new shirt, shoes and underwear this year. The shoes and undies I can't get used (though I have been lucky a couple of times with thrift store shoes, it's rare) and sorry, but no thrift store undies. yuk! Hopefully the shirt I will wear till I am 60. We also bought a new water heater. Oh, and I bought new playpens for my bunnies because I was a bit desperate. (bunnies are NOT pets for lazy people:eek:, they are difficult, demanding, and will eat anything. Even your drywall).

Anyhoo, I look around at people who seem to be at least trying to keep up with trends and a certain lifestyle and appearances and it seems kinda sad. The pressures, time, and money involved. Not only do I not have the energy to even attempt such a thing, if I did I can think of quite a number of better uses for all that energy and time and money.

What I really would like brand new is a miniature jersey cow.

I like this :)

I do a lot of the above.
Some of it comes from necessity,
some of it comes from the buzz I get when getting a bargain.

3/4 length pure wool overcoat. Immaculate condition. £15.00 from charity shop.
£200+ if bought new.
Best bargain to date :)

Completely agree with you! Years ago I read a book explaining that we vote with our dollars and we end up voting a lot of power to huge companies. And that isn't at all a good thing to do.

I have an old flip phone, buy most of my clothes at thrift stores (actually primarily one thrift store) and even at that I try to keep as simple and small a wardrobe as possible (and am trying to simplify it more all the time), trim my own hair, have no netflix or cable or anything similar, get used books and the library, and so on and so on.

Of course I buy new sometimes because sometimes used turns out pretty much impossible. I bought a new shirt, shoes and underwear this year. The shoes and undies I can't get used (though I have been lucky a couple of times with thrift store shoes, it's rare) and sorry, but no thrift store undies. yuk! Hopefully the shirt I will wear till I am 60. We also bought a new water heater. Oh, and I bought new playpens for my bunnies because I was a bit desperate. (bunnies are NOT pets for lazy people:eek:, they are difficult, demanding, and will eat anything. Even your drywall).

Anyhoo, I look around at people who seem to be at least trying to keep up with trends and a certain lifestyle and appearances and it seems kinda sad. The pressures, time, and money involved. Not only do I not have the energy to even attempt such a thing, if I did I can think of quite a number of better uses for all that energy and time and money.

What I really would like brand new is a miniature jersey cow.
The people that play "Keeping Up With The Jones'" are actually pretty unhappy people and think material possessions are the answer. Perhaps I am more enlightened to know that this stuff doesn't make me happier. Buying tuff might make me happy for a short period, but that's it. Nothing sustained and once the novelty wears off, I feel like an all day sucker. The only time acquiring something that helps in happiness is for a hobby. I recently bought a used HF amateur radio and I've been having lots of fun with it. It's not mindless and requires troubleshooting and knowledge.

I like this :)

I do a lot of the above.
Some of it comes from necessity,
some of it comes from the buzz I get when getting a bargain.

3/4 length pure wool overcoat. Immaculate condition. £15.00 from charity shop.
£200+ if bought new.
Best bargain to date :)
It feels good to get over on the corporations by getting a bargain, keeping it out of a landfill, and not lining their pocket.

The people that play "Keeping Up With The Jones'" are actually pretty unhappy people and think material possessions are the answer. Perhaps I am more enlightened to know that this stuff doesn't make me happier. Buying tuff might make me happy for a short period, but that's it. Nothing sustained and once the novelty wears off, I feel like an all day sucker. The only time acquiring something that helps in happiness is for a hobby. I recently bought a used HF amateur radio and I've been having lots of fun with it. It's not mindless and requires troubleshooting and knowledge.
I did forget art supplies! Guess I kinda categorize that with groceries and toiletries and laundry soap.

And I've told this many times in the past. Money can't buy happiness, but it can rent it.

It feels good to get over on the corporations by getting a bargain, keeping it out of a landfill, and not lining their pocket.

Actually, all you did was keep it out of the landfill. Some sucker before you had to pay full price for it and use it before it could land in the bargain bin for you.

Plus, manufacturers actually make stuff that is designed to break or fail within a year or two time frame. Throw it out and buy again and again. No wonder America ships their garbage in ships clear around the world to developing countries! Insane!!!!

Plus, manufacturers actually make stuff that is designed to break or fail within a year or two time frame. Throw it out and buy again and again. No wonder America ships their garbage in ships clear around the world to developing countries! Insane!!!!
^^This. Planned obsolesecence.

Yes, I became aware of an actual Minimalist movement a few years ago. I went through most of my adult life feeling that I was poor in comparison to peers and that I didn't have the standard of living I should have. Then I went through a divorce and since my former spouse had been controlling about money I got carried away with my financial freedom and the opportunity to purchase whatever I wanted to. I was also questioning who I was on my own and keen to establish a home that felt lived in and personal. So I accumulated too much stuff and after a few years reached a point of feeling overwhelmed by it. I've spent two years purging and being more mindful about what I buy and this is a very good place to be. At one time my aesthetic preferences weren't very in line with minimalism but that is also shifting.

I think I'm quite lucky in that I discovered minimalism before I moved out of my parents house. It clicked with me immediately, being perfectly in line with my own preferences to tread lightly on the world, be careful with money, and avoid stress whenever possible. My aesthetic tastes aren't really minimalist, stark white walls are boring, but my lifestyle is.

I wonder if minimalism and anti-corporatism are Aspie characteristics?

I am totally on board with this philosophy! It's too bad there are so few of us, we might be able to change the world! Perhaps we will increase in number through evolutionary pressure and save the planet!

I wonder if minimalism and anti-corporatism are Aspie characteristics?
Judging by many of the discussion on this forum, and the other aspies I know, I don't think so. One of them is more of a hoarder. The minimalism group I am a part of has no other aspies.

New Threads

Top Bottom