• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mini Audio Amplifiers

Judge

V.I.P Member
Just started to read about these. Amusing, though in many instances I sense these devices are junk. (I've known about "Pyle" products for years. Wouldn't touch 'em.)

Though some are feature laden with decent reviews. I never imagined them to replace my main audio receivers, but I could see using them with more portable speakers and dvd players, maybe hooked up to my computer monitor through HDMI as well.

Anyone out there using such a product, or contemplating buying one? Just wondering. Quite a few out there...

Last edited:
I've seen these before, but I'm a basic ***** and bought a dad soundbar. Woot.

However, I recall seeing this guy's video a while ago: Williston Audio Labs - Mini Amp Review

Electronics from no-name brands in Chineese city-factories have gotten fairly good at quality and, audio wise, have a pretty good noise floor even with the cheapest components. I think this is due largely to big brands having their stuff made there. For example, say JL Audio orders enough units for ten hours of factory production, then the factory can run a twelve hour shift and make two hours worth of identical unbranded units to sell on Alibaba. They will do literally anything to fill production time...and Americans will buy literally anything.

I'd want a mini amp when I end up living in my van - to plug into my laptop. I'd assume there's good quality USB or 3.5mm compatible amps that I could use to get the most out of my WAV files.

Ed

I'm not familiar with this but I am very curious about what you discover. The tiny amps are at least cute, but they look like scale models.

Somewhere buried in my car is a 285-watt 9-Speaker Bose audio system. Power is definitely going into smaller spaces these days...so these kind of devices aren't so surprising to me.

Funny to think of how much I have lowered the bass on my car audio system and yet it still packs a punch.

An interesting comparison. In this instance it seems an "equalizing" factor depends upon what volume is used. If not too loud, these little devices may be nearly as good as the "monster" amps most of us are familiar with.

Last edited:
I'm as curious and as doubtful as you are, Judge. We used to judge the quality of an amp by it's weight. It is after all just a big copper coil, thicker wire in that coil meant better quality.

Just started to read about these. Amusing, though in many instances I sense these devices are junk. (I've known about "Pyle" products for years. Wouldn't touch 'em.)

Though some are feature laden with decent reviews. I never imagined them to replace my main audio receivers, but I could see using them with more portable speakers and dvd players, maybe hooked up to my computer monitor through HDMI as well.

Anyone out there using such a product, or contemplating buying one? Just wondering. Quite a few out there...

I am ...... skeptical. As anybody who has been to a live performance knows, there is a big difference between sound quality and volume. This is one reason I don't go to live performances (the main one is anthrophobia). Transistors for amplifiers are constantly improving, but simply pushing the current through is not enough. The wave form has to be maintained without distortion, and therein lies the problem. The response speed has to be high, and that requires big components and dissipating lots of heat, I doubt these mini amplifiers can do it.

Years ago, when the Sony Walkman first came out, a couple of the guys on my crew complained they weren't loud enough.. I built some amplifiers to go between the Walkman and the earphones that I called the "Oatmealizer." The sound was horrible, but load enough to turn the brain into oatmeal (not that their brains were not already oatmeal). They were happy.

Edit Addition; I notice whenever I walk into a stereo shop, the first thing they do is try to impress me buy putting on rock music and turning the volume up full. Usually the distortion is so bad it sounds like a load of dishes in a clothes dryer. I put on some GF Handel, Mozart, Lully, or even Vivaldi, and slowly turn up the volume until the distortion becomes noticeable. Oftentimes before volume is halfway up. I am rarely impressed.

Last edited:
I'm saving up to buy a solid state amplifier with a DAC and streaming capabilities, but a full sized one, not one of these small ones.

Hmm. I'd be skeptical about that too.

I have to look at the dimensions on the amps that I have but they are what I would consider full-size.

Hmm. I'd be skeptical about that too.

I have to look at the dimensions on the amps that I have but they are what I would consider full-size.
All my major audio components are seventeen inches wide. I like the consistency of size, especially when some of them need to be stacked.

Though right now I'm looking at something to take up a minimum of space. Maybe hooking up a DVD player to this monitor, but it would require an amp and speakers for audio. Odd to see over the years how that 17" standard has slowly evaporated. Especially with optical disc devices.

Last edited:
The more of these critiques I read about through YouTube, the more I see a common issue of poor total harmonic distortion at higher volume levels. Though for what I'm looking for, high volume won't be much of a consideration.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom