• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mimicking & Fictional Characters

I've heard that, especially among female aspies, "mimicking" other's behaviors or mannerisms in order to mesh with society is pretty prevalent. What are your thoughts or experience with this?

For me, since I'm not in a position where I'm under a lot of social tension, or in very social situations outside of occasional outings, my "mimicking" behaviors tend to be different. I feel that I don't have any real people whom I know, to be role models. I simply don't personally know anyone that I would want to be like. That said, the people I look up to are usually fictional. These are the sorts of people I tend to reflect. And I'm not exclusively talking about "role models" but rather examples for every day life, that I mix and match and incorporate into my own actions, behaviors, and mannerisms. Kind of like different templates for how to act, because I genuinely like the way they work and want to do the same.

However, this tendency doubtlessly seems odd to my family. Instead of understanding that I am mirroring fictional characters because I don't have any real people to mirror, they think that I am just an insane fan and am going through a "phase" if they recognize a behavior. It's funny, though, since my mimicking of fictional characters that I admire probably makes me stand out even more - but the way I see it, I can either be a stiff and socially awkward robot or be like someone I think is really cool.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else does this kind of thing, or can relate to this? If so, why? Do you have any examples?

I have always modelled other people's behaviour to create the social masks I use. As a child I was very clumsy at it but with age also came the opportunity to work with things like NLP and Profiling linked to my knowledge of psychology to produce better masks.

I use them just like I use certain clothes.

Oh, what a wonderful position I'd be in if I were a good mimic... I'd just mimic desirable NT employees and rocket into the best jobs out there!

Nah, but really I'm here studying body language trying to figure out how to better apply it.

Ohh I misunderstood.
Thought this was about like when I say "ha ha" in the same tone of voice as Nelson from the Simpsons.
Or the fake Julia Child saying "Today I'm going to show you how to eat a live duck."

Come to think of it, it is.

I find myself mimicking characters from books I read a lot, like talking the way the characters do. Like I read a lot of Sharon Kay Penman's books (she writes about the middle ages) and I find myself saying "hath" instead of "have". It's getting to be a big problem since I'm getting points off on papers for spelling "favorite" like "favourite". If I start saying "methinks" instead of "I think" I know I'm in trouble.

I have always modelled other people's behaviour to create the social masks I use. As a child I was very clumsy at it but with age also came the opportunity to work with things like NLP and Profiling linked to my knowledge of psychology to produce better masks.

I use them just like I use certain clothes.

I'd love to read a book that went into detail about the different social masks, how they're constructed from an Aspie point of view and when they are to be used. If you ever write such a book I will buy it right away . :)

I'd love to read a book that went into detail about the different social masks, how they're constructed from an Aspie point of view and when they are to be used. If you ever write such a book I will buy it right away . :)

When I write it you shall have a free copy ;)

I've heard that, especially among female aspies, "mimicking" other's behaviors or mannerisms in order to mesh with society is pretty prevalent. What are your thoughts or experience with this?

For me, since I'm not in a position where I'm under a lot of social tension, or in very social situations outside of occasional outings, my "mimicking" behaviors tend to be different. I feel that I don't have any real people whom I know, to be role models. I simply don't personally know anyone that I would want to be like. That said, the people I look up to are usually fictional. These are the sorts of people I tend to reflect. And I'm not exclusively talking about "role models" but rather examples for every day life, that I mix and match and incorporate into my own actions, behaviors, and mannerisms. Kind of like different templates for how to act, because I genuinely like the way they work and want to do the same.

However, this tendency doubtlessly seems odd to my family. Instead of understanding that I am mirroring fictional characters because I don't have any real people to mirror, they think that I am just an insane fan and am going through a "phase" if they recognize a behavior. It's funny, though, since my mimicking of fictional characters that I admire probably makes me stand out even more - but the way I see it, I can either be a stiff and socially awkward robot or be like someone I think is really cool.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else does this kind of thing, or can relate to this? If so, why? Do you have any examples?

I've read that it's a normal part of NT personality development, during teenage years, to imitate their peers and role models, trying on different personas until they settle on one, or a combination, they're comfortable with - I've witnessed my oldest son (NT) imitating various stand-up comedians until he subtlely incorporated Eddie Izzard, amongst others, into his mannerisms.
My understanding is that this is why AS/ASD's find it hard to fit in, as we are actually as we appear, rather than as we want others to perceive us.

I've tried consciously to imitate those around me, as well as fictional characters, in my desperate attempts to integrate.. I had no idea of this during teenage (I wonder if this could be ASD delayed learning?) and only started to become aware once I started work and realised that these adults around me (I still strongly perceived myself to be the child/adolescent I was at school/college then and still do in manny ways) were very different to me - I literally came to see them as a different species to me at this time and have never been able or seen fit to alter that perception.

I do find myself imitating people around me in a chameleonic way, though very poorly - it still doesn't help me really fit in, I notice my accent changes slightly to match among my local regional accents, I find myself straining to match my body posture to theirs and I may even swear occasionally (though I don't like swearing).. this is a lot of effort, difficult to stop (for fear of exclusion) and very tiring - I notice ability to make eye contact diminishing and approaching burnout/shutdown.

It occurred to me to imitate fictional characters so I didn't just look like everyone else, the problem is.. who?
I once attempted James T Kirk for a bit, being a Star Trek fan; he doesn't generally turn his head much though.. and I got hit by a car in a car park cos I didn't look properly, plus the walk was a lot of effort and a bit too attention-getting for my comfort zone.. :D

As a kid and teenager especially, I found myself mimicking fictional, or just famous, characters regularly.
I would "become" the person, donning their mannerisms, speech and sometimes appearance.
My sophomore year in high school, I dressed and did my hair and makeup to look like just like Twiggy (the 60's model, not the member of Marilyn Manson).
When Girl, Interrupted came out, I "became" Lisa, again, making my hair, make-up, and attire to look like her and channeling her personality and mannerisms.
I always struggled with who I was and am, so I guess I thought it was to better to be someone else concrete than no one at all.

I'm a man, and while I often mimic certain people or characters while speaking, its more of a habit than a purposeful choice every time. When I get really excited about a subject, I start gesturing like Doc Brown from "Back to the Future".

I'm a man, and while I often mimic certain people or characters while speaking, its more of a habit than a purposeful choice every time. When I get really excited about a subject, I start gesturing like Doc Brown from "Back to the Future".

You may just find that expansive gesturing is a common AS/ASD trait - this came up in another thread a while back.. I know I do it and the more excited I get the worse the gesturing gets. :)

You may just find that expansive gesturing is a common AS/ASD trait - this came up in another thread a while back.. I know I do it and the more excited I get the worse the gesturing gets. :)
Or the better the gesturing gets! :) That means you are excited (& happy?) which is a good thing! :)

Or the better the gesturing gets! :) That means you are excited (& happy?) which is a good thing! :)

When I become aware of people watching my gesticulations and starting to duck out of the way, I start to feel like I'm attempting very uncoordinated flight :p
I also talk faster and faster until I interrupt myself with the next sentence/idea.. I see peoples' faces - their jaws drop and they stare.. :rolleyes:

I think of the gesturing as expressive, like sign language.
If you are going to the bother of communicating, you want to make sure
what you have in mind gets across.

Videos of Donna Williiams speaking, I notice her gestures are quite like
AMSLAN....signing.

A bonus of expansive/expressive gesturing is that people will be busy following that
and not peering into your face/making all that eye contact. lol

When I become aware of people watching my gesticulations and starting to duck out of the way, I start to feel like I'm attempting very uncoordinated flight :p
I also talk faster and faster until I interrupt myself with the next sentence/idea.. I see peoples' faces - their jaws drop and they stare.. :rolleyes:

I have experienced that.
Rather dull-witted people take that to mean I am...overly excited/too animated.
I try to keep myself toned down/muted around people I don't know.
Not everyone I encounter needs
the full version of what I am thinking.

Hi
My little one mimics all the time. Before she could talk she mimicked animal sounds to perfection. Now she mimics to fit in and not be noticed.

What a great discussion topic. In reading this, it helped me to remember a time during adolescence where I would keep a list (of actor roles) of the people that I wanted to be like. At the time I pretended that each one (Captain Kirk, for example) was a personality because each one had a redeeming quality or trait that I looked to mimic.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom