• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Milk in folk medicine

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I'm listening to the Chernobyl podcast again; I'm trying to get information on the Soviet Union for a novel I'm writing.

While listening to it, I heard that there was a heavy influence of folk medicine still prevalent among the Russians at the time; and they believed that they could treat radiation burns by pouring milk on them. That's interesting because, my dad works at a smelter in a neighbouring town, and in the past the townspeople also had a folk medicine belief, that milk could help treat various diseases associated with pollutants from the smelter. Hence on our ways in and out of that town, we'd drive through abandoned fields that used to house cattle.

This all makes me other, how prevalent is cow's milk in folk medicine?

Maybe a fermented milk beverage like kefir or ryazhenka would help immensely with radiation burns, and also absorbing the radiation.

Fermented foods are amazing. After the A-Bomb blast in Hiroshima, doctors came in to help the survivors. There was very little food in the area. The doctors who ate Miso Soup survived without any radiation damage. Those who didn't eat miso, and ate something else, or starved, ended up dying.

I once tried fermented milk. It was absolutely disgusting. No different from sour milk. Never touching it again.

Health fads are usually just that: fads.

When taking antibiotics, I was advised by my doctor to drink kefir (fermented milk). Good for your gut biome, apparently.

@Judge Very interesting article. The need to reduce Interlukin-10 and Cytokines is something that might
be helpful in the inflammatory condition the Sars2-Mers-Covid19 creates in the body.
The inflammatory process is destructive to the body organs, memory and cardiovascular systems.

Wonder if any of the scientists have experimented with this yet?

I occasionally drink buttermilk, which is essentially the same as kefir but minus the kefir grain, and I use it to make cornbread. Yogurt is a good probiotic, too.

I was diagnosed with eczema last summer and have been researching causation, what causes flareups and how to make it go into remission. It is a poorly understood autoimmune disorder for which there is really no good treatment. Because much of our immune system comes from the gut, I've concluded, for myself anyway, that good gut health is the key; hence, I eat/drink probiotics every day. I think it really helps me prevent flareups.

Milk has long been considered a beauty aid for skin. Milk baths are supposed to be wonderful for skin. I don't know about that - it would take many gallons of milk to fill a bathtub - but Cleopatra allegedly bathed in milk.

I occasionally drink buttermilk, which is essentially the same as kefir but minus the kefir grain, and I use it to make cornbread. Yogurt is a good probiotic, too.

I was diagnosed with eczema last summer and have been researching causation, what causes flareups and how to make it go into remission. It is a poorly understood autoimmune disorder for which there is really no good treatment. Because much of our immune system comes from the gut, I've concluded, for myself anyway, that good gut health is the key; hence, I eat/drink probiotics every day. I think it really helps me prevent flareups.

Milk has long been considered a beauty aid for skin. Milk baths are supposed to be wonderful for skin. I don't know about that - it would take many gallons of milk to fill a bathtub - but Cleopatra allegedly bathed in milk.
For eczema, this soap has worked wonders for my family. You can get it at Dollar Tree.
iu

@Mary Terry

My mother used to read fairy tales to me and in one of them the
daughters had different privileges regarding what liquid they were
allowed to use for bathing.

Water, wine, milk.....
I've never bothered trying to use wine to wash in, but I did try milk.
I thought since I had a surplus of powdered milk, I'd use it for
soaking my feet.

Turns out that I am allergic to cow milk, whether it's ingested or
applied topically. I got the same dismal symptoms from
soaking my feet in milk as from drinking it. Mental confusion, chills,
sadness, runny nose.

For eczema, this soap has worked wonders for my family. You can get it at Dollar Tree.
iu

I used to use Yardley which I love, but the dermatologist told me to use Dove soap for sensitive skin, laundry detergent that is "free and clear" of dyes, perfumes, etc., and CeraVe moisturizing lotion and foaming facial wash, so I've been using those things. Wish I could find a hair shampoo that is "free and clear", too, but haven't found any at Kroger where I shop.

Allergies can be very serious. My brother and I are both allergic to corn, peanuts and hops (beer) so we joke about how we will never be seen sitting in a bar, drinking beer and eating bar nuts. If we did, we'd have pneumonia the next day. :eek:

New Threads

Top Bottom