• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Middle age Aspie

JediJen

Hi!
I was just diagnosed last year at the age of 48. Whew! What a relief it's been, but also a little getting used to. My son wasn't diagnosed until he was 14, after years of me asking him to be tested. Don't have a Facebook page, but thought it might be nice to connect with others on the spectrum. Glad to meet everyone!

a5146d9c809c1d39e690774344d47acb.png

I'm 48 years old born in 1969 in the UK and you're therefore just very slightly older than myself, except since I had very slow speech development as a young child and both my brothers were low functioning autistic children our family got lot of attention from the medical experts, because of this I was one of the minority of children who was first officially diagnosed in the mid 1970s as autistic along with both brothers, although it was strongly suspected even before that and my parents obviously knew something was very wrong. As I grew up I started showing great improvement and I'm now on the higher functioning end of the autistic spectrum with various traits, but my now adult brothers sadly remained low functioning and for instance can't count to 5 or tell the time. I actually got a fresh diagnosis more recently, a couple of years ago since for some reason my paper medical notes weren't transferred to computer when the system became fully computerised.

It's good that you are relieved by your diagnosis and I'm sure it helps and confirms many things that you've experienced throughout your life so far. I hope to see you around these forums and welcome to ASPIESCentral.

Last edited:
Hi & Welcome,
Hope you find communication with other Aspies satisfying.

I'm 48 years old born in 1969 in the UK and you're therefore just very slightly older than myself, except since I had very slow speech development as a young child and both my brothers were low functioning autistic children our family got lot of attention from the medical experts, because of this I was one of the minority of children who was first officially diagnosed in the mid 1970s as autistic along with both brothers, although it was strongly suspected even before that and my parents obviously knew something was very wrong. As I grew up I started showing great improvement and I'm now on the higher functioning end of the autistic spectrum with various traits, but my now adult brothers sadly remained low functioning and for instance can't count to 5 or tell the time. I actually got a fresh diagnosis more recently, a couple of years ago since for some reason my paper medical notes weren't transferred to computer when the system became fully computerised.

It's good that you are relieved by your diagnosis and I'm sure it helps and confirms many things that you've experienced throughout your life so far. I hope to see you around these forums and welcome to ASPIESCentral.

Thank you!

New Threads

Top Bottom