• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Met a famous celebrity?

Dadwith2Autisticsons

V.I.P Member
I was just curious if anyone at this forum here, including any of their close family members, have ever met a famous celebrity in-person, either just an inch or so away and with a chance to talk to them or greet them. If so, how did you feel and/or how did that greeting go, or what did that conversation entail? For those who have not had a chance yet to meet a celebrity up close, if there is one you would like to meet, who would that be?

i feel very indifferent about celebrities,to me theyre all the same generic fleshy objects as the rest of us,i treat them exactly how i treat everyone else.
i used to administrate for the seperate forums of two different sky tv programmes,and my co admin was one of the tv shows presenters but no one else knew that,he became a mate-he said i was the only one on the moderation team who he could trust not to mention who he was and i treated him normal and didnt ask him about celebrity life,we were going to meet up for a gaming session but we were hundreds of miles away from each other his busy work took him elsewhere.

ive also met the manchester united team [including eric cantona],as the whole team including the manager/ferguson were opening the nursery at my old primary school probably back in 1994,i was probably about 10 at the time and the only one who didnt care as i have no interest in people.

now in contrast, ive also met the cat who was in this UK three network; tv advert:
and i was overcome with happy,i dont think it had anything to do with the celebrity side though,more that he was of the feline variety. :D

With my family about 15 years ago we ran into Elton John at the museum of art, I didn't see him, but everybody else did, my sister and grandma.

Also, my uncle worked at an extremely high-end furniture store called Kreiss (10,000 for a chair type stuff) and he got me autographs from both Garrison Hearst and Evander Holyfield.

I don't have those anymore.

These days celebrities remind me a little bit of aliens, far removed from reality and so far out in left field they about don't exist.

1) My wife and I were looking for land in western New York about four years ago, prior to our move out of state, when the home builder and his construction buddy came to that land parcel to show us several home plans. My wife kept looking at the assistant, and I wondered why. Then I noticed his resemblance to Nick Carter of the Back Street boys, and so I wondered if she was wondering the same.

Anyways, my wife goes to show this very blond hair, fair skinned guy, who looked in his thirties/early 40s, the boundry lines, while I still talked to the home builder. I ask the older guy if that could be a family member of Nick Carter as the resemblance was very much there, and he shook his head saying it was his brother. Days later, when visiting that same land at early evening, we took our sons to the lakeside park a mile away. A woman saw our small child Dylan, who was about one years old then, and scooped him out of the stroller without asking.

Dylan cried and cried and would not stop in her arms. She gave him back to my wife who put him in the stroller. We told her about our other son Aaron who was playing on the children play equipment in the sand near her. She then told us her brother's name is Aaron. He is a singer she said. We put two and two together, and knew that was the sister of Aaron and Nick Carter, and we had a short conversation with her about us liking the Back Street Boys music. She admitedly though was a bit too overly confident and assertive in her actions and speech, unlike her brother we met a few days earlier, who acted a bit timid. So, we researched the Carters, and true enough Aaron Carter's family lived just outside that very small touristy village where the land was near.

2) When my Mom was alive, very long ago she was managing a medium sized motel where we lived in the state of New York when a country singer's small tour bus stopped to eat at a restaurant just in front of the motel. The singer's manager asked if she had many rooms to rent, and she said yes, as other motels and hotels in the surrounding area had taken others of their bus in. The singer was Connie Francis, a famous country singer of that time and prior.

That singer and their entourage stayed there that night, and as my Mom loved country music, she made her and the others feel very welcome. At the end of the stay Ms. Francis personally handed Mom a thick large rectangular black and white antique looking poster board picture that she hand signed with inscription saying, "_____,(name) thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Love Connie Francis." A day after they left, 2 dozen roses came to her motel from that singer, too.

3) As I love American football, my wife and I would often go to football training camp in the summer, to get autographs of the Buffalo Bills players. Some days they would sign before practice, along the fence, and sometimes after. The nicest of the players around ten years ago were the punter and kicker, and the rookie quarterback drafted that year. They were really friendly, and wrote an extra message and not just their names on the item we put before them.

The most elusive was Marshawn Lynch. Only once during the many sessions that we attended would he sign to any of the children along the fence by the practice field, and perhaps it was because of severe shyness and avoidance of media there. My wife had handed him a Bills placemat to sign, and a lady assistant with him whispered in his ear, and he hesitated and said, 'Naww.' I think on that day he wanted to sign only for kids.

4) My wife, about twenty years ago, met the Prime Minister of Canada at that time, with her classmates, during a school trip to the government complex where he was, and he shook her hand and the other classmates, with him not saying anything to most, but speaking briefly to just one child she said, from her memory, and speaking to the principal and a teacher. She said he had a firm handshake.

Last edited:
1) My wife and I were looking for land in western New York about four years ago, prior to our move out of state, when the home builder and his construction buddy came to that land parcel to show us several home plans. My wife kept looking at the assistant, and I wondered why. Then I noticed his resemblance to Nick Carter of the Back Street boys, and so I wondered if she was wondering the same.

Anyways, my wife goes to show this very blond hair, fair skinned guy, who looked in his thirties/early 40s, the boundry lines, while I still talked to the home builder. I ask the older guy if that could be a family member of Aaron Carter as the resemblance was very much there, and he shook his head saying it was Aaron's brother. Days later, when visiting that same land at early evening, we took our sons to the lakeside park a mile away. A woman saw our small child Dylan, who was about one years old then, and scooped him out of the stroller without asking.

Dylan cried and cried and would not stop in her arms. She gave him back to my wife who put him in the stroller. We told her about our other son Aaron who was playing on the children play equipment in the sand near her. She then told us her brother's name is Aaron. He is a singer she said. We put two and two together, and knew that was the sister of Aaron Carter, and we had a short conversation with her about us liking the Back Street Boys music. She admitedly though was a bit too overly confident and assertive in her actions and speech, unlike her brother we met a few days earlier, who acted a bit timid. So, we researched the Carters, and true enough Aaron Carter's family lived just outside that very small touristy village where the land was near.

2) When my Mom was alive, very long ago she was managing a medium sized motel where we lived in the state of New York when a country singer's small tour bus stopped to eat at a restaurant just in front of the motel. The singer's manager asked if she had many rooms to rent, and she said yes, as other motels and hotels in the surrounding area had taken others of their bus in. The singer was Connie Francis, a famous country singer of that time and prior.

That singer and their entourage stayed there that night, and as my Mom loved country music, she made her and the others feel very welcome. At the end of the stay Ms. Francis personally handed Mom a thick large rectangular black and white antique looking poster board picture that she hand signed with inscription saying, "Alice, thank you so much for your wonderful hospitality. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay! Love Connie Francis." A day after they left, 2 dozen roses came to her motel from that singer, too.

3) As I love American football, my wife and I would often go to football training camp in the summer, to get autographs of the Buffalo Bills players. Some days they would sign before practice, along the fence, and sometimes after. The nicest of the players around ten years ago were the punter and kicker, and the rookie quarterback drafted that year. They were really friendly, and wrote an extra message and not just their names on the item we put before them.

The most elusive was Marshawn Lynch. Only once during the many sessions that we attended would he sign to any of the children along the fence by the practice field, and perhaps it was because of severe shyness and avoidance of media there. My wife had handed him a Bills placemat to sign, and a lady assistant with him whispered in his ear, and he hesitated and said, 'Naww.' I think on that day he wanted to sign only for kids.

4) My wife, about twenty years ago, met the Prime Minister of Canada at that time, with her classmates, during a school trip to the government complex where he was, and he shook her hand and the other classmates, with him not saying anything to most, but speaking briefly to just one child she said, from her memory, and speaking to the principal and a teacher. She said he had a firm handshake.
My grandfather waited like 20 years to get tickets to the masters golf tournament. He got em two years before he died. I went one year before that to the practice rounds, where hundreds of people would wait for autographs. The players were pretty selective about signing, usually signing about 50 of the 500 autograph seekers. Tiger woods walked over to me and my cousin and we were so excited, but less so when he signed autographs for the three people to our left and three to our right... ;( I did get some good signatures though, Jim Furyk and a few more.

My grandfather waited like 20 years to get tickets to the masters golf tournament. He got em two years before he died. I went one year before that to the practice rounds, where hundreds of people would wait for autographs. The players were pretty selective about signing, usually signing about 50 of the 500 autograph seekers. Tiger woods walked over to me and my cousin and we were so excited, but less so when he signed autographs for the three people to our left and three to our right... ;( I did get some good signatures though, Jim Furyk and a few more.

That was bad luck about the Tiger Woods one, but glad you got a few others at least. I used to watch golf a lot before we had our children. Mickelson was my favorite. Now I follow a bit of Jordan Speith. I guess as I age I am getting more into the more relaxing sports like golf, and also country music.

I remember when I was about ten years old my twin brother and I would search for golf balls at the large open field playground across the creek next to our home. We found like two dozen balls during one week, and buried them there deep in the dirt near a tree. Thirty years later I returned and dug in that same spot as I was curious. Somebody had found them.

Last edited:
Gordon Lightfoot (famous singer, sang "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald)
Alexander Haig (former Secrtary of State and NATO Supreme Commander)
Robert Lansing (movie star)
Tommy Ivo (former Mouseketeer, drag racer)
Don Prudhomme (famous drag racer)
Tom McEwen (famous drag racer)
Robert Schuller (famous TV preacher)
George Barris (famous custom car builder, built the original Batmobile)

The first two I recognize very well, and Robert Schuller. The others I have not heard because drag racing I never followed, nor was I into Batman and custom cars much. But, thanks for your input on this subject and telling us which celebrities you met :)

I met Cadel Evans, he was okay, I've also talked to a whole bunch of other professional cyclists (even got to ride with a few). It's just like talking to normal people, only you're ten thousand times as nervous.

I was just curious if anyone at this forum here, including any of their close family members, have ever met a famous celebrity in-person, either just an inch or so away and with a chance to talk to them or greet them. If so, how did you feel and/or how did that greeting go, or what did that conversation entail? For those who have not had a chance yet to meet a celebrity up close, if there is one you would like to meet, who would that be?

I have actually met several famous people and most of the time I didn't know who they were or that they were famous.

This was a long time ago, but if someone had told me that Donald O'Conner was the guy that ran up the walls in the movie I would have been impressed.

Is Paula Poundstone famous? I met her and chatted with her for a while but I'd never heard of her before.

I met some Anaheim Angels baseball player once and everyone else was groveling and he looked disappointed that I didn't know who he was. He must have been a big shot.

I have a close-up video of Pete Wilson's ear (ex governor of California) but wasn't actually introduced.

I can't think of any more off-hand but there are probably a bunch, but my girlfriend will have to tell me if they are famous.

I guess you could say I have "connections" but those are all by accident and not something I sought out intentionally. I had a friend who worked in TV and audio during the early years and knew all the famous people like Walter Cronkite and such. My nephew-in-law has a beach named after his family. I worked in several art galleries and lots of famous people buy art and go to the art shows.

I have actually met several famous people and most of the time I didn't know who they were or that they were famous.

This was a long time ago, but if someone had told me that Donald O'Conner was the guy that ran up the walls in the movie I would have been impressed.

Is Paula Poundstone famous? I met her and chatted with her for a while but I'd never heard of her before.

I met some Anaheim Angels baseball player once and everyone else was groveling and he looked disappointed that I didn't know who he was. He must have been a big shot.

I have a close-up video of Pete Wilson's ear (ex governor of California) but wasn't actually introduced.

I can't think of any more off-hand but there are probably a bunch, but my girlfriend will have to tell me if they are famous.

I guess you could say I have "connections" but those are all by accident and not something I sought out intentionally. I had a friend who worked in TV and audio during the early years and knew all the famous people like Walter Cronkite and such. My nephew-in-law has a beach named after his family. I worked in several art galleries and lots of famous people buy art and go to the art shows.

Yes, Paula Poundstone is a famous comedian. I often heard her a lot in the entertainment news about twenty five years ago or earlier when she was doing comedy on cable tv. Pete Wilson I remembered farther back, too. Donald Connor I do not recognize as I never watched many movies, as I was more into sports stuff from my teens through forties.

Last edited:
Yes, Paula Poundstone is a famous comedian. I often heard her a lot in the entertainment news about twenty five years ago or earlier when she was doing comedy on cable tv. Pete Wilson I remembered farther back, too. Donald Connor I do not recognize as I never watched many movies, as I was more into sports stuff from my teens through forties.

In any case Paula Poundstone does some benefits for homeless dogs and cats in my area so I liked her because we had that in common and she's doing it for a good cause. If I run into her again now I'll know she's famous. I suppose that's likely if I go to the benefit this year.

Yes, that was my reaction to Donald O'Conner too. Later I found out he was the guy in Singing in the Rain that ran up the walls and flipped all the way around. I thought that was pretty great when I was a kid.

Define "famous" though... Through my involvement in the Calgary arts scene over many years I have interacted with lots of well known artists, both local artists and national artists

From one experience many years ago I learned that most artists are just people like you and me... And for those who know hockey a little, I fueled up Dave King's (former coach) a couple of times...

An old high school friend of mine is a well known Canadian folk singer - Cara Luft... I still stay in touch, go to her shows, she never forgets who I am

A fairly well known local blues musician, John Rutherford, frequents the same flea market I often go, he is very friendly to talk with...

I've met the Canadian Pickers, moreso Scott, and also Gerry who was part of the show

One last one, there are more, I met Jocelyn Alice when she was just a local musician here in Calgary about seven years ago, I know she has had a hit song now and grown well beyond the Calgary market, maybe not ultra famous yet, except for her infamy with the Toronto Blue Jays recently, look it up...

Etc... They are just people like you and me

I ran around Vegas for three days with one and partied with one for a few hours. :p (I don't want to announce who specifically on the internet like this though). He couldn't walk three feet without somebody stopping him for a photo or something, it was really annoying, no wonder they don't want to go outside of their rooms. I had talked him into going to a strip club (go figure). So we went there, the club gave us a lot of free stuff... he didn't' even tip the waitress though, I was a bit weirded out by that.

Was invited backstage to hang out with a band, which really was just totally awkward for me, I didn't know what to do. The singer tried to give me bud light but I hate bud light... so I gave it to somebody else. My friend (at the time) got so wasted and ended up running around completely naked and climbing around on furniture and such. Unfortunately she was also driving, which was way scary afterwards. I don't know how she didn't hit anything, I don't think I ever hung out with her after that.

I've been around other bands and such but I never have anything to say to them so I just leave them alone really.

Other than that I've seen actors at conventions and such but they've always been so busy I didn't bother and I have no interest in spending hours in line and up to 100$ for them to badly scribble their name on something. ;)

Oh and there's been like football players and basketball players come into clubs I've worked at but they're generally real jerks so I keep away from them as well. Plus a lot of girls are always going up to them asking for autographs for their boyfriends... I don't know how they don't get in trouble for that really, we're not even supposed to admit to having boyfriends if we do. Normally all they want to do is try to find hookers to come be with them outside of the club, using their, "I'm a famous celebrity," line as some kind of bait. And unfortunately it works on too many of the girls, herpes anyone?

Define "famous" though... Through my involvement in the Calgary arts scene over many years I have interacted with lots of well known artists, both local artists and national artists

From one experience many years ago I learned that most artists are just people like you and me... And for those who know hockey a little, I fueled up Dave King's (former coach) a couple of times...

An old high school friend of mine is a well known Canadian folk singer - Cara Luft... I still stay in touch, go to her shows, she never forgets who I am

A fairly well known local blues musician, John Rutherford, frequents the same flea market I often go, he is very friendly to talk with...

I've met the Canadian Pickers, moreso Scott, and also Gerry who was part of the show

One last one, there are more, I met Jocelyn Alice when she was just a local musician here in Calgary about seven years ago, I know she has had a hit song now and grown well beyond the Calgary market, maybe not ultra famous yet, except for her infamy with the Toronto Blue Jays recently, look it up...

Etc... They are just people like you and me

Famous could be defined as very well known either nationally, regionally, or locally, so however anyone wants to define it is fine with me. You mentioned Dave King, I remember him mostly from his days coaching the Canadian national team in the Olympics, and when he coached the Calgary Flames. He must have been a coach in the NHL somewhere else though, too.

I wish more local artists like painters, singers, dancers, and musicians would get more recognition, or maybe they do and I just do not hear about it as we do not get out into that local arts and entertainment scene much. Most are just as talented
likely than the nationally recognized ones, but because of bad luck or less marketing, or less desire to be nationally famous they maybe are focusing more locally and regionally.

I ran around Vegas for three days with one and partied with one for a few hours. :p (I don't want to announce who specifically on the internet like this though). He couldn't walk three feet without somebody stopping him for a photo or something, it was really annoying, no wonder they don't want to go outside of their rooms. I had talked him into going to a strip club (go figure). So we went there, the club gave us a lot of free stuff... he didn't' even tip the waitress though, I was a bit weirded out by that.

Was invited backstage to hang out with a band, which really was just totally awkward for me, I didn't know what to do. The singer tried to give me bud light but I hate bud light... so I gave it to somebody else. My friend (at the time) got so wasted and ended up running around completely naked and climbing around on furniture and such. Unfortunately she was also driving, which was way scary afterwards. I don't know how she didn't hit anything, I don't think I ever hung out with her after that.

I've been around other bands and such but I never have anything to say to them so I just leave them alone really.

Other than that I've seen actors at conventions and such but they've always been so busy I didn't bother and I have no interest in spending hours in line and up to 100$ for them to badly scribble their name on something. ;)

Oh and there's been like football players and basketball players come into clubs I've worked at but they're generally real jerks so I keep away from them as well. Plus a lot of girls are always going up to them asking for autographs for their boyfriends... I don't know how they don't get in trouble for that really, we're not even supposed to admit to having boyfriends if we do. Normally all they want to do is try to find hookers to come be with them outside of the club, using their, "I'm a famous celebrity," line as some kind of bait. And unfortunately it works on too many of the girls, herpes anyone?

Just as long as it was not Elvis, or Wayne Newton. That is the only guy singers I remembered in Vegas. No need to mention their name :) We went to a Bryan Adam's concert and he pointed to a girl in the crowd and pulled her on stage to dance. I wondered if he was going to have fun with her later. He did not seem to care if she was married. That is the life of lots of famous musicians I guess.

When I was a girl, my dad was slated to go on a business trip to Hawaii. He brought me and my mom along as a family vacation. He was called away the whole time, and my mother enjoyed her daytime beverages. I got to play at this fancy resort all by myself without the burden of being an adult. We took one outing all together, on a whale watching tour. The only other hotel guests on the boat with us were Ozzy Osbourne, his wife, and two children. I played a bit with Jack and Kelly, his two kids, though I couldn't understand a word they were saying through their thick Brit accents. I did not know who Ozzy was. But I rode a small dingy boat with him and his kids while the others went snorkeling. My dad reflected on the experience later with some surprise over his conversation with Mr. Osbourne, particularly about his passion for saving the whales.

When I was older, we took a trip to New Mexico and my mom got all giddy over seeing a member of the Eagles in our hotel. I only like the song "Hotel California" when it's covered by someone else.

I was using a coupon from donating blood, at the MacDonalds near my home. A man opened the door for me. I looked at him and realized it was Louis L'Amour, the western writer. I was so surprised and stunned that I just froze and stared at him. He looked at me and laughed. He said something about supposing I recognized him. He took me in and bought me lunch and asked about my blood donation and my own writing. He said something about a real writer is only different than a scribbler because the writer keeps writing all the time.

I was totally starstruck and walking on air for days afterwards.

Just as long as it was not Elvis, or Wayne Newton. That is the only guy singers I remembered in Vegas. No need to mention their name :) We went to a Bryan Adam's concert and he pointed to a girl in the crowd and pulled her on stage to dance. I wondered if he was going to have fun with her later. He did not seem to care if she was married. That is the life of lots of famous musicians I guess.
I think Elvis is not currently living, and who?

When I was a girl, my dad was slated to go on a business trip to Hawaii. He brought me and my mom along as a family vacation. He was called away the whole time, and my mother enjoyed her daytime beverages. I got to play at this fancy resort all by myself without the burden of being an adult. We took one outing all together, on a whale watching tour. The only other hotel guests on the boat with us were Ozzy Osbourne, his wife, and two children. I played a bit with Jack and Kelly, his two kids, though I couldn't understand a word they were saying through their thick Brit accents. I did not know who Ozzy was. But I rode a small dingy boat with him and his kids while the others went snorkeling. My dad reflected on the experience later with some surprise over his conversation with Mr. Osbourne, particularly about his passion for saving the whales.

When I was older, we took a trip to New Mexico and my mom got all giddy over seeing a member of the Eagles in our hotel. I only like the song "Hotel California" when it's covered by someone else.

That's the best time to meet a celebrity, when you don't know who they are. :3
I think people not drooling over them is refreshing for them.
That's how I hung out with the one for days, I didn't really know who he was and I walked up and asked him if he was so and so. He gave me his number to hang out later. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom