• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Memory issues part of ASD?

OrdinaryCitizen

Here are my symptoms tell me if any of you have same and how typical are memory problems for people with ASD?

I have no problem thinking or understanding others however when talking i run into this problems:

Not able to tell stories (and jokes)
  • e.g. i've seen a movie and someone ask me what what this movie about, i have no idea because i have no outline of events i just seen in the movie saved in my memory to quickly explain, i recall certain events from a movie, but cannot build a whole picture to meaningfully give short description.
  • in general talking (or writing to forum) i don't see any outline of what i am trying to say - sentences get born one word at a time and i really have to concentrate to say something meaningful.

Cannot build long sentences
  • have no structure of sentence i am trying to say prior to saying it its like i have to improvise every time i talk.
  • when talking out loud every word i say immediately erases from my memory before i even have chance to finish sentence so in middle of sentence i can forget what i was talking about.
  • many times conversation comes to a dead end and i don't know what to talk about - like i "turning page in a book and next page is blank" nothing there in my mind (this could be due to fear of public speaking).

Bad memory in general
  • only memorize most important things all rest are instantly forgotten.
  • cannot recall names of objects when talking even if its something i say many times.
  • planning something complex is a problem i see no outline (big picture) i only see separate pieces and cannot build any visual representation of complete process, so planning something is best done on paper than in my head.
No big picture
  • all pieces of information i know are separate from one another, not connected together into one big system of knowledge i can work with
  • instead i link this pieces to physical world and use it as a system for thinking - i base my thinking of physical world every time visually imagining what i am talking about or process that happens in physical world then describing it
  • i am good with adaptation in physical world and totally suck in social domain because i see no big picture of how it functions and don't know much about it since due to my problems i usually not communicate with many people.

Mistakes with labels
  • sometimes when talking i mistake words that are in same category
    e.g. i say
    • "chair" instead of "table"
    • "spoon" instead of "fork"
    • "cat" instead of "dog" etc.

Last edited:
l read about depression can affect short term memory.
Understand that brain injury also may affect. My ex (MD) , talked about people who had been in some type of accident, especially hitting the front part of forehead, and having a completely different personality. It was due to the location of head that was injured. Did you ever have some type of severe head injury possibly in the front of your head?
If family members asked him questions about a veteran who was behaving out of the norm, he always asked if there been any type of accident involving the head.

If you have always lived with this then it might be injury. As long as you have people who understand this, it isn't a big deal to those close to you.

Here are my symptoms tell me if any of you have same and how typical are memory problems for people with ASD?

I have no problem thinking or understanding others however when talking i run into this problems:

Not able to tell stories (and jokes)
  • e.g. i've seen a movie and someone ask me what what this movie about, i have no idea because i have no outline of events i just seen in the movie saved in my memory to quickly explain, i recall certain events from a movie, but cannot build a whole picture to meaningfully give short description.
  • in general talking (or writing to forum) i don't see any outline of what i am trying to say - sentences get born one word at a time and i really have to concentrate to say something meaningful.

Cannot build long sentences
  • have no structure of sentence i am trying to say prior to saying it its like i have to improvise every time i talk.
  • when talking out loud every word i say immediately erases from my memory before i even have chance to finish sentence so in middle of sentence i can forget what i was talking about.
  • many times conversation comes to a dead end and i don't know what to talk about - like i "turning page in a book and next page is blank" nothing there in my mind (this could be due to fear of public speaking).

Bad memory in general
  • only memorize most important things all rest are instantly forgotten.
  • cannot recall names of objects when talking even if its something i say many times.
  • planning something complex is a problem i see no outline (big picture) i only see separate pieces and cannot build any visual representation of complete process, so planning something is best done on paper than in my head.
No big picture
  • all pieces of information i know are separate from one another, not connected together into one big system of knowledge i can work with
  • instead i link this pieces to physical world and use it as a system for thinking - i base my thinking of physical world every time visually imagining what i am talking about or process that happens in physical world then describing it
  • i am good with adaptation in physical world and totally suck in social domain because i see no big picture of how it functions and don't know much about it since due to my problems i usually not communicate with many people.

Mistakes with labels
  • sometimes when talking i mistake words that are in same category
    e.g. i say
    • "chair" instead of "table"
    • "spoon" instead of "fork"
    • "cat" instead of "dog" etc.
Look up developmental disorder, brain injury from stroke ,unipolar depression, see which one gives you a lightbulb moment

Look up developmental disorder, brain injury from stroke ,unipolar depression, see which one gives you a lightbulb moment
Forgot to mention regarding memory and talking problems i could observe similarities in my mother and grandmother to big extent, and i had this for as long as i remember myself so its not a depression related.

Example of having no outline when talking, dont pay attention to words rather look how she talks.

Last edited:
I read issue of inability to absorb b-12 from food so l guess people try injections of B-12. So you may eat plenty of these foods but to no avail. This may cause memory issues.

Another one l read is variants of frontotem plural lobar degneration that runs in families.

Thyroid disease can cause the same and is determined by blood test.

Forgot to mention regarding memory and talking problems i could observe similarities in my mother and grandmother to big extent, and i had this for as long as i remember myself so its not a depression related.

Example of having no outline when talking
your whole family could have a marker on your gene for vascular weakness which would make you weakened to the possibility of a stroke at birth ,Most of my family have a weakness or a Marker on our gene for allergies .Most of the family appear to be grass pollen and penicillin ,the rest are animal dander.
We also seem to have the possibility of a marker on our genes for motor neurone diseases, Not as prevalent as allergies,May I ask is your natural language English, that would cause you problems identifying what you want to identify ,if your natural language isn’t English.
As I have heard people say they’re in documentaries what is the word in English for and it would make you feel the same as if you’ve had brain damage,Of course it could be early onset dementia or Alzheimer’s, my mother died from ALS at 54 ,A large percentage of people die in their 70s ,I am not saying your terminal in anyway ,what I’m saying is until you know for a fact what is happening, you !could !be closing yourself off to the answer.

Sounds like you have working memory problems and language problems.

I can relate to a fair bit of what you’re talking about, assuming I understand correctly...

I can relate to word-finding difficulties and using the wrong words for things but it sounds like I have a much easier time with word structures than you do - and for me being able to see the words on the page/screen helps so that I dont forget the words I just thought up and can rearrange them and change them as needed until they look okay and hopefully make sense....but verbally I often can’t hold onto all the words long enough to put them together properly and express things, especially complicated things or a sequential narrative (and my brain does not store memories in sequential order, either).

In my case it is not depression or health issues, just how my brain is wired.

Last edited:
I don't have a problem so much with recalling and summarising a movie - thugh I might miss important bits out, or not have it quite in the right order because my mind jumps around a lot. However, I do find it hard to imagine a new story/make up a story.

I sometimes mix labels up, but I think that most people do.

I often don't see the whole picture - well, I can, but I need to have all the bits in place to do so, I can't fill in missing bits of information. Or I focus on one detail and lose sight of the whole.

Poor short term memory can be the result of depression as has already been mentioned, or an issue with your diet or gut.

your whole family could have a marker on your gene for vascular weakness which would make you weakened to the possibility of a stroke at birth
Interesting theory, another moment that could have made things worse i remember very early in my childhood before going to pre-school found tiny pink medical pill on the floor in our home, it was glazed so i swallowed it, had strong headache for about 6 hours after that, could have caused mini stroke as well.

Thyroid disease can cause the same and is determined by blood test.
Thanks for input, I do have hyperthyroidism presume because of the stress, however my parent did not have thyroid problems. Must be Frontotemporal lobar degeneration or something similar that runs trough generations.

I did learn to talk much better (or mimic normal speech with simple sentences) after initial 20 years of my life and now everyone say i talk normally.

In school my verbal communication was very brief this could have caused developmental issues, i remember at around age of 16 i seen no point in talking and tried to avoid it as much as possible guess has some verbal phobia since i was laughed upon for inability to talk properly and people always talk over me (even to this day) if they hear me slow down during speech or build sentence that really makes little sense.

Last edited:
Interesting theory, another moment that could have made things worse i remember very early in my childhood before going to pre-school found tiny pink medical pill on the floor in our home, it was glazed so i swallowed it, had strong headache for about 6 hours after that, could have caus

Thanks for input, I do have hyperthyroidism presume because of the stress, however my parent did not have thyroid problems. Must be Frontotemporal lobar degeneration or something similar that runs trough generations.

I did learn to talk much better (or mimic normal speech with simple sentences) after initial 20 years of my life and now everyone say i talk normally.

In school my verbal communication was very brief this could have caused developmental issues, i remember at around age of 16 i seen no point in talking and tried to avoid it as much as possible guess has some verbal phobia since i was laughed upon for inability to talk properly and people always talk over me (even to this day) if they hear me slow down during speech or build sentence that really makes little sense.
sorry my iPad is faulty and deleted a bit of your post in this post.
May I ask do you use a translation service? as my English isn’t perfect when I try to communicate to somebody via writing, I don’t know how to write perfect English ,so I’ve used a translation service when reading posts in another language,Your post remind me of the translation service.

Interesting theory, another moment that could have made things worse i remember very early in my childhood before going to pre-school found tiny pink medical pill on the floor in our home, it was glazed so i swallowed it, had strong headache for about 6 hours after that, could have caused mini stroke as well.

Just thought, could you afford to get an MRI ?,it could tell you if you’ve had a TIA (transient ischaemic attack -what you call a mini stroke)in the past, it would probably tell you a lot of other things as well.

sorry my iPad is faulty and deleted a bit of your post in this post.
May I ask do you use a translation service? as my English isn’t perfect when I try to communicate to somebody via writing, I don’t know how to write perfect English ,so I’ve used a translation service when reading posts in another language,Your post remind me of the translation service.
My native is Russian, i don't use translation service, its how i talk my English vocabulary is rather small.
Looking back at 10 years i spent living in US (Los Angeles), cannot recall much communication besides work or formal occasions.
No wonder been diagnosed with Social Phobia.

Sometimes when talking i sound like Yoda from star wars because i build sentences backwards due to my condition.

My native is Russian, i don't use translation service, its how i talk my English vocabulary is rather small.
Looking back at 10 years i spent living in US (Los Angeles), cannot recall much communication besides work or formal occasions.
No wonder been diagnosed with Social Phobia.

Sometimes when talking i sound like Yoda from star wars because i build sentences backwards due to my condition.
I think the last sentence would be attributed to autism I do it as well.

Your English is amazing just think you’re a bilingual and I’m speaking English but not exactly perfectly, I was born in England and lived here my whole life, still find it hard to comprehend after 49 years.

Just come to realization this morning during breakfast that i am constantly analyzing everything when having even simple conversation trying to get my point across i always re-analyzing what i think in real time before i put it to words.

My mind is constantly working 24/7 i don't ever relax and enjoy life anymore this is whom i become - a thinker.

Wish there were some prescription drugs to stop thinking, perhaps i could to stop thinking and enjoy life.

New Threads

Top Bottom