• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meltdown recoveries

Voltaic

Plaidhiker@youtube
gad a bad night. Even after waking up 11 hours later with omelettes and tea made by my gandma, it just doesn't feel normal. The memories of the overwhelming emotions are still fresh in my mind. The thoughts associated with the emotions call for me to continue down that path. My actions are recalled with heavy regret.

I am like a delicate, beautiful flower at these times, amazing to look at, but susceptible to the slightest amount of stress. Nonsensical analogies beside. Being triggered back into a meltdown is easy trying to recover from one. Even the memory of the last meltdown can be enough.

The world feels surreal at these times. It just continues forward, as if nothing happened. It moves forward as if my what happened did not exists, it just never changes no matter what happens to me.

How do you guys deal with these? I know it is unlikely they will ever stop, so I have to learn to deal with the aftermath.

I try to sleep a lot, weighted blanket, space heater (real or Youtube) chicken noodle soup, lots of soup. Aspirin. Hope you feel better soon.
9d5ce801ed498d7a06ec260a6bf20b71--peter-rabbit-beatrix-potter.jpg

1. Always make it right, no matter how often you have to apologize. Those who love you understand. It may be humiliating but the day you stop apologizing is the day the meltdowns win.

2. Personally, I just go down into it and that feeling you talk about. I know what you mean. I embrace that altered world and sink into it because if I don't, if I reject it, it hurts more. For me, it means not talking. It might take a day or two, but if I stop talking I can calm down.

3. Music. SOmetimes it is rather harsh, metal music. Other times it's Bach. It all depends on what happened and what the feelings are.

4. When it's truly over, like a few days later, and you are not htinking you are a bad person ( I feel that way at least), then DO SOMETHING very kind for the people you love . Never ever give up on your good side and never believe you are a bad person. That happens to me and it is like punishment to me, but it never works because it just makes things WORSE! So believe you are good and try to do things that show you care.

Those are just some things I do. If I think of more I will post. Much comfort to you. You mean a lot to us here!

I agree a lot with what Okrad said. Very good advice. One additional thing is I try not to put myself into position where a possible meltdown can happen. Unfortunately,Usually for me its at home and due to wife having negative comments about nearly everything I do. Also just being negative in general and I just have nowhere to go to escape it, except sleep.

OkRad has some good things there.
Also not talking for at least 24 hours helps me too.
And slowing down physically along with soothing tea and just a lot of sleep to recover along with music that is calming and low like a background ambiance.

New Threads

Top Bottom