• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Megaman games.

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
So recently I bought the NES cart for Megaman 2 and beat it to completion. I liked the game except for the fact that you're not given any more passwords after killing all the robot masters and that goddamn Boobeam Trap fight.

That is one of the most poorly designed fights in all of video games. I don't wanna replay the game because of it. It also made me shocked how easy the final level is.

So recently I bought the NES cart for Megaman 2 and beat it to completion. I liked the game except for the fact that you're not given any more passwords after killing all the robot masters and that goddamn Boobeam Trap fight.

That is one of the most poorly designed fights in all of video games. I don't wanna replay the game because of it. It also made me shocked how easy the final level is.

Ah yes, Megaman 2, from the era where devs hadnt quite figured alot of things out yet. Darned common trend back then, to sort of interrupt the flow of a game with some really bizarre thing out of nowhere that didnt make any bloody sense.

Reminds me of Solar Jetman, another game that pulled something like that. Sort of a Lunar Lander kind of thing, you're exploring all these planets and lifting fuel and items back to your main ship. Slow-paced and very deliberate style of game. And then you do the final task, and are suddenly thrown into a bad scrolling shmup segment out of nowhere for no reason and have to fight a boss because reasons. And if you died there... you had to do the entire gigantic maze that is the 12th planet all over again, which could take like 40 minutes. At least Megaman didnt make you repeat literally 40 minutes of gameplay because you lightly touched exactly one wall.

But yeah, so many games did that back then. Kinda baffling, it never actually worked out well for them but devs kept doing it anyway.

As for the final level: I dont think it's really meant to be a proper level. It's just a creepy buildup to the "alien" boss fight. Which in itself is a little weird, Megaman games never really tried to be creepy...

Which in itself is a little weird, Megaman games never really tried to be creepy...
What I also found weird is that it had never been suggested that aliens exist in the Megaman world so when I saw "Alien" in the list of bosses in the guide I was using, I was definitely confused. It kinda made the ending plot twist more effective for me.

Ok so I bought Megaman 3 and I have to move the cartidge in a specific way to avoid graphical glitches for some reason.

Last edited:
Ok so I bought Megaman 3 and I have to move the cartidge in a specific to avoid graphical glitches for some reason.

Chances are, something is damaged. Either the connector pins in the cartridge, or the ones in the console itself. They really werent very sturdy, those things. And they were finicky. For the "tape player" NES, the one most are familiar with, a nudge to the thing when it was running often caused instant graphical corruption. Wouldnt go away unless you restarted. Not that the other models cant have that happen, but that one was the worst for it.

But if it's doing it without being randomly bonked, something isnt working right.

For the "tape player" NES, the one most are familiar with, a nudge to the thing when it was running often caused instant graphical corruption. Wouldnt go away unless you restarted. Not that the other models cant have that happen, but that one was the worst for it.

But if it's doing it without being randomly bonked, something isnt working right.
Yeah I finally managed got it to work properly but damn, I'm not gonna remove the cart until I finish this game.

This kinda thing is why I prefer the Famicom. The carts are small and uses a incredibly simple top loader design which makes sure the carts are correctly in place.

Anyways I'm starting to think that Megaman 3 is kinda mediocre. It feels like every level is as tedious as Heat Man's stage. One of the levels even does the "disappearing blocks" crap from the previous game. It feels like every level in this game felt the need to add a dumb gimmick like that.

I have a giant Mega Man tattoo on my back. It still needs some color filling to get completed, but I'll have to wait until the pandemic dies down for that to happen.

Today I finally beat Megaman 3. The game was tedious as all heck until the Wily stages. Then the game felt playable.

GODDAMMIT

I MEGAMAN 1 CAME INTO THE MAIL TODAY AND I WAS ON THE SECOND TO LAST LEVEL AND THEN THE GAME DECIDED TO CRASH ON ME!

GODDAMMIT

I MEGAMAN 1 CAME INTO THE MAIL TODAY AND I WAS ON THE SECOND TO LAST LEVEL AND THEN THE GAME DECIDED TO CRASH ON ME!

Yeah those old games will do that.

Dont get me wrong, I LOVE playing those older games on original hardware when possible, but... at the same time, this is part of why I usually use emulators. They cant go "OMG THERE'S A DUST PARTICLE" and freak out. Which is particularly awful with the original "tape deck" NES model. It getting nudged was bad enough, but the problem with even the slightest dust was worse. At least with a nudge-crash you could say "darn, I'll just have to be more careful next time, let's move this thing a bit so I dont bonk it again", but with a dust-crash it's basically just "LOL I felt like crashing randomly" and can happen at absolutely any time. Feh.

I've never quite grasped WHY it was so vulnerable to that. Or why it was so hard to get it to STOP doing that. There's some screwball tech reason, I'm sure. And it's not like the top loader or Famicom are immune to the effect either, but at least with those it's not absurdly common.

Anyways I'm starting to think that Megaman 3 is kinda mediocre. It feels like every level is as tedious as Heat Man's stage. One of the levels even does the "disappearing blocks" crap from the previous game. It feels like every level in this game felt the need to add a dumb gimmick like that.

In all honesty I tend to feel this way about most of the series. It's neat and all, but.... ehhh. I always thought it was a little overrated. Particularly the boss weapons. They sound great in concept but most players will totally ignore them 95% of the time (except in 2, where they just use the metal blades at all time, which is even worse) because the basic shot is already too good. The whole thing just was never designed or balanced all that well for that, even though it's like the primary mechanic.

In all honesty I tend to feel this way about most of the series. It's neat and all, but.... ehhh. I always thought it was a little overrated. Particularly the boss weapons. They sound great in concept but most players will totally ignore them 95% of the time (except in 2, where they just use the metal blades at all time, which is even worse) because the basic shot is already too good. The whole thing just was never designed or balanced all that well for that, even though it's like the primary mechanic.
Personally my problem with Megaman 3 is that it tries so hard to be more than the first 2 games that it's obnoxious, such as when they make you fight 4 robot masters from the beginning again for the purpose of the game having more levels. Or the times when there's multiple bosses per stage (Outside of Wily Fortress stages I mean. I don't mind doing that there because it has more impact when it's at the end of the game and is a good difficulty increase) so you can have more bosses to fight. Protoman would constantly interrupt whatever the hell I was in the middle of to fight and it was not even remotely fun each time I did it.

Overall if I were to rank the 3 games I've played, then I would do it like this:

A (Masterpiece) - N/A

B (Good, would replay) - Megaman 1

C (Good, would not play again) - Megaman 2

D (Medicore) - Megaman 3

F (Abomination) - N/A

I wanna play all of the classic Megaman games for the sake of having an opinion on it/making a cool tier list using the ranking system I use for games as shown above.

IT HAPPENED AGAIN

IN THE EXACT SAME PLACE

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS CAUSING THIS CRASH

I saw this post and wondered if it was possible there's a genuine bug causing it (those old games really were very glitchy... dont even get me started on NES Metroid, that game is pretty much one giant bug), though looking it up, I dont find info on any glitches associated with Wily's castle at all. Perhaps a specific interaction between objects? I'm curious, what were you doing the moment it happened? And have you cleaned the cartridge/console connections?

On a side note, I pretty much agree with your ranking there. I wonder what you might think about 4, 5, and 6. For me it seemed like the quality of it just started to slide in some inexplicable way after 3. 4 and 5 never managed to hold my attention long enough to finish them. And 6 was, well... ya know, I never even ever hear about 6, really.

I'm curious, what were you doing the moment it happened? And have you cleaned the cartridge/console connections?
I was in the underwater section where the series of penguins try to attack you before you fight the boss.

The first time it crashed I killed all of the penguins so I got superstious and thought that maybe killing the penguins crashed the game? But when I got to that level again, I didn't kill any penguins and the game still crashed at the exact same location in the level.

I have cleaned the cartridge for tons of times (which got rid of another glitch where I would be sent back to the title screen after finishing the conveyer belt section in Gutman's stage and jumping onto the mountain after said section) but this glitch still happened again. I'm thinking about trying to open the cart and looking for abnormalities even though I don't have experience in that kinda thing.
On a side note, I pretty much agree with your ranking there. I wonder what you might think about 4, 5, and 6. For me it seemed like the quality of it just started to slide in some inexplicable way after 3. 4 and 5 never managed to hold my attention long enough to finish them. And 6 was, well... ya know, I never even ever hear about 6, really.
I actually own 4 and got it in the mail the same day I got the first game. I heard 4 and 5 are pretty forgettable and I also heard good things about 6 in the few times it's mentioned. Some people call it underrated. The real trashheap is 7 and 8 allegedly.

I was in the underwater section where the series of penguins try to attack you before you fight the boss.

The first time it crashed I killed all of the penguins so I got superstious and thought that maybe killing the penguins crashed the game? But when I got to that level again, I didn't kill any penguins and the game still crashed at the exact same location in the level.

I have cleaned the cartridge for tons of times (which got rid of another glitch where I would be sent back to the title screen after finishing the conveyer belt section in Gutman's stage and jumping onto the mountain after said section) but this glitch still happened again. I'm thinking about trying to open the cart and looking for abnormalities even though I don't have experience in that kinda thing.

I actually own 4 and got it in the mail the same day I got the first game. I heard 4 and 5 are pretty forgettable and I also heard good things about 6 in the few times it's mentioned. Some people call it underrated. The real trashheap is 7 and 8 allegedly.

It is possible that there's damage to the part of the cartridge that contains the rom. If that's the case, there's likely nothing you can do. Not really something that can be fixed as far as I know.

And yeah, 4 and 5 were just kinda bleh. I've played both, and the only things I can remember is that in 4 there's some sort of bird thing, and Toad Man is one of the easiest bosses in the series. I remember next to nothing about 5. 6, 7, and 8 I've just outright not played. 9 though... the one that came out freaking decades later... was superb. That one is the high point of the series for me. MUCH better than all the rest. And it had that excellent music for the Wily fight. And all of the weapons were useful for the first freaking time ever.

Ok so I bought Megaman 11 today. It feels familiar but also different. I've only played one level so far and haven't beaten it yet.

Ok I bought the first and second legacy collections for Switch and beat Megaman 1. I still like it.

On the second legacy collection I started playing Megaman 7 and I'm genuinely suprised how much I love this game. I had really low expectations for how the game would control but the controls feel amazing! The level design is also good and I like the bosses.

New Threads

Top Bottom