• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Medication that works for HFA, ADHD, and Anxiety?

virtualbacon

I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety a while ago, but only recently with HFA and ADHD. I am having the worst time with finding a good medication. SSRI's make my ADHD much worse, but help with anxiety. ADHD meds make my anxiety worse and add depression when the stimulant wears off, but while it's working I feel great. Taking nothing I am most affected by the ADHD (inattentive/lack focus, a space cadet), and every so often anxiety. Of course the HFA is always there no matter what, no meds for that, and I just have to deal with that on my own. My wife has said the ADHD stimulant I take (Focalin XR) has been the most beneficial as it gets me the energy/motivation to get off my butt and do housework or do fun things with our kids. I am struggling with the ups and downs of the med, even with an XR version. Ever since my son was diagnosed with HFA, I suspected I was as well, especially after learning so much about HFA and ADHD. I thought I would feel relieved after getting diagnosed, people noted the relief, but instead I feel lost, anxious, and depressed about what to do, and have been doing some soul searching, rethinking my childhood, hyper analyzing every social situation and wondering if people perceive me to be awkward, odd, different. I am hoping to get the medication situation figured out and in doing so, maybe my other struggles get better as well. Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

I don't have too much knowledge in terms of simulants but I know most if not all of them as short release drugs, as you said even the prolonged versions don't last too long. They are glorified caffeine pills.

You could try bupropion (Wellbutrin), which is an noradrenaline (or norepinephrine if you're American) - dopamine reuptake inhibitor (NDRI), an atypical antidepressant different to what you've been trying before with SSRIs. It works well for anxiety. It gets used a lot for ADHD after trying stimulants like atomoxetine (Strattera), mixed amphetamine salts (Adderall) or methylphenidate (Ritalin). It does have an inferior stimulant effect to the first line stimulants but the half life is much higher at 21 hours compared to the sugar effects of your dexmethylphenidate hydrochloride which is only 2 to 4.5 hours. Side effects can include sexual dysfunction - something I'm sure you've experienced with SSRIs, and weight gain. But the good news is that they are uncommon side effects. It can also induce epileptic seizures if the dose is too high and is definitely something to watch out for if you have epilepsy. It's also a good drug if you smoke and want to quit.

If that doesn't work then what you might be looking for is a cocktail of some sorts.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom