• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Me with no conscience might be a mental illness

Andrew1999

hello I have no conscience. I don’t think I’ve ever had one. It might be a mental illness I don’t know. I’ve supressed emotions for years and years. I can do anything wrong under the sun and not feel guilt about it. Any insight?

This calls for a therapist's help soon, as suppressing emotions & getting a tough result sounds pretty unhealthy. Mental illness or not, I think you still need to see a good doctor & maybe get a second opinion.

hello I have no conscience. I don’t think I’ve ever had one. It might be a mental illness I don’t know. I’ve supressed emotions for years and years. I can do anything wrong under the sun and not feel guilt about it. Any insight?
I once had it explained to me that sociopaths are made and psychopaths are born. You can't really tell them apart because both have a total lack of empathy. A sociopath can potentially be assisted while psychopaths don't have the proper brain structure to begin with. This may or may not be true.

Supposedly, a sociopath doesn't "suppress" emotions. There are certain empathy-related emotions they don't feel. They unlearn empathy for other humans very early in life in Pavlovian ways, usually through experiencing and seeing brutality. Very much like a rancher unlearns empathy for livestock or a slaveholder for slaves. He isn't secretly crying in his soul for the torment he's putting them through.

Suppression of emotion is voluntary, usually out of fear of the consequences of experiencing them. If you are suppressing emotions, you only need to unsuppress them and they'll all be there.

But it isn't entirely bad. Most psychopaths aren't violent monsters.

Last edited:
Feeling guilty about lacking a conscience...?

@Andrew1999, still get evaluated,
but that the prospect of having no conscience seems to bother you
may mean that you have one, after all, but are suppressing it.

Last edited:
Yeah. I do that too about suppressing emotions. Felt the same way. It is possible to come back from that. My advice would be to watch people rescue animals in need and helping others.

You truly may have no conscience. However you still follow society's rules of not hurting others because it's the right thing to do? I think l met somebody who truly hurt me with very bad advice and they have zero empathy. Like l told them how horrible their advice turned out to be, and no response not even on a friendship level.Its hard for me to comprend. Only you know yourself, how you wish to live your life. I just understand that one of these personalities can hurt others with zero concern.

New Threads

Top Bottom