• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maybe Self Diagnosed at 30?

SKE

Hi all. I’m a 30 year old female, and I’ve recently realized that I think I may have a mild case of Asperger’s. I was wondering if anyone would care to chime in? I listed the things that make me feel that way, and I plan on discussing it with a professional, but I’m curious if it sounds similar to anyone else’s experience, or if maybe it is just related to other trauma.

Here’s my list so far:

I get fixated on things/hobbies/interests that are intense for a while, then give way to a new fixation.

I miss social cues/have trouble socializing/trouble making and keeping close friends.

I get over stimulated with a lot of noise/large gatherings.

I sometimes have “meltdowns” when I get very upset (i.e. feeling out of control, overwhelmed, unable to calm down, essentially like a panic attack)

I don’t like direct eye contact, but I can do it if I have to. I seem to avoid it naturally though.

I like schedules and plans and have trouble adapting if they are changed.

I am highly emotional but have trouble dealing with my emotions (have very childlike reactions to strong emotions).

I have ritualistic habits and compulsions (i.e. tweezing body hair, tongue biting after teeth brushing until it feels “even,” nail biting)

I sometimes hit myself when I get too upset, not sure exactly if it is to calm down or to self-punish. Not very frequently or very severely.

I do everything FAST. I think fast. I have a really hard time just slowing down in general.

I hate being interrupted in the middle of a task.

I prefer to communicate in writing. Especially if it is an emotional topic. I dislike phone calls and in-person meetings.

upload_2020-7-30_17-43-42.png

Hi and Welcome

I am struck by your phrase "have a mild case of Autism". My understanding is not that you have a case of autism, it is something you are. To "have a case of sounds" like that you have a transient illness or bug.

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here. I certainly would identify with a lot of what's on your list, and the items sound like they could well add up to high autistic traits or Aspergers. This is a good place to discuss your ideas about this, and hear the ideas of others.

You can also look at Jessica Kingsley publishers catalogue for a good range of books relating to autism, and some relating specifically to the way autism may present in women, that can be different in some ways from aspects mentioned in the current diagnostic criteria that were devised mainly in relation to boys and men.

:dolphin::spoutingwhale::whale::fish::spiralshell::dolphin::spoutingwhale::whale::fish:

Holy cow, do I identify with a lot of the things you've listed. Welcome to the forums, SKE. I hope you stay with us a while.

Hello, welcome yes i also identify with your list, check out 'Tania Marshall' she's informed about Autism and presentation in women also there is a link to a on-line assessment tool.

Hi and Welcome

I am struck by your phrase "have a mild case of Autism". My understanding is not that you have a case of autism, it is something you are. To "have a case of sounds" like that you have a transient illness or bug.

Thank you for pointing that out. Definitely still working on finding the right language to explain thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom