• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maybe I do need God in my life.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I have failed again and again in my own life. Right now, I have been stuck in the same spot for the last several months, sober but spinning my wheels, stuck at an inadequate job, inadequate social life, inadequate transportation. I could blame my family, but really, my lack of backbone has gotten me in this spot.

Something has to change in my life ASAP. I do not want to live with this dissatisfaction forever. This spiritual emptiness that movies and video games has failed to fill up.

I went thru this in LA. Four car accidents, on my fourth divorce attorney, l said something has to give. Lol

So l jumped on a dating site, since l was newly separated. I got kicked off that but that's how l met a nice guy that l believe might be on the spectrum and then l discovered my own autism possibility.

Maybe step outside of yourself and try something new? You have come so far, please don't give up. Feel free to pm if l can be helpful.

Last edited:
Start applying for a different job maybe? Do you have a rent a car service? Some cities have them.

I could blame my family, but really, my lack of backbone has gotten me in this spot.

Well, maybe this is the thing to work on, then.

Like, when it comes to family, take a stand, put your foot down, tell them off, when need be. There's no reason why they should be in control, and perhaps they wont be, if you refuse to let them.

Beyond that, try something new, branch out. Get a new hobby, do something creative, MAKE something. Or expand what you already have into new territory. What happened to that movie review site idea? The only thing stopping you from taking a real shot at that is yourself. Make something like that not just for yourself, but also to provide enjoyment to others, and then you are contributing while enjoying yourself. That might bring some real satisfaction.

As for the spiritual side of things, well... I doubt any of us here are truly qualified to advise on that one. That's generally something that must be figured out on your own.

Something has to change in my life ASAP. I do not want to live with this dissatisfaction forever. This spiritual emptiness that movies and video games has failed to fill up.

This is a non-religious post, if it's welcome:

I've gone through similar experience, becoming bored with buying music. I realized I was happier when I was younger, and had less. I could listen to an album over and over, happy to explore my few things. It seemed I had endless details to discover, in this music. Being able to buy more did not bring more joy, though. So I started donating and selling possessions, these past few years.

My father dying and a bad breakup lead me to "soul search," as well. I got into hiking (until I got Lyme Disease) to get away from culture and so many empty things. I wanted greater purpose and meaning, not distractions from my experience. I have donated and sold much since then. It's been very helpful, as I think culture is very empty. We binge watch our lives away while destroying the world, wondering why happiness is so elusive. I work now on reconnecting with my feelings, which I enjoyed so much when I was younger. And I expect less from distraction. I am learning to see quality again. It is also more enjoyable to donate money, and support people through my job, than collect things endlessly.

Some of my favorite activities now are spending the evening with earplugs in, reading or thinking; or walking around a small city just to see things and observe people. I don't shop and rarely eat there. I study and take in. I exist.

I experience more joy in being me and understanding what that means, now. I'm learning to go with life and appreciate its sensations, finding greater depth and resilience. Perhaps that makes sense to you.

This spiritual emptiness that movies and video games has failed to fill up.
I am also seeking more spirituality in my life. Especially concerning the 12 steps, finding that higher power is paramount to a full life in recovery.

I am an atheist, so it has been difficult for me to find my higher power and spiritual guidance.

I have also tried to fill my spiritual emptiness, but no luck yet. Let’s each keep seeking ways to fill the void that will not destroy our souls (drugs & alcohol).

I kind of shifted from atheism over to agnosticism over the past few years and now I feel much better. Now I just assume all religions are right and make up my own beliefs all the time. It sounds silly, but even simulation theory and believing in the greater good of mankind can go a long way.

All I've really learned is that atheism is why I was a depressed addict, so I changed that. I don't really care if there's no god or afterlife, but I'm going to live my life like I'm learning a bunch of **** and coming back with a vengeance in my next life. Who cares if I'm wrong? If it's all BS I'd rather make it fun instead of depressing.

Your god could be a purple unicorn that casts spells on people you don't like, if you want. Simply believing in such, in my brain, is a banishing spell all on its own.

Last edited:
Isn't nature a higher power? One we're already part of?
Does it matter?

Nature, love, purple unicorns.

From a psychological standpoint, the important thing is there is something greater than oneself.

When I worked as a hospice nurse, I entered into conversations with many people engaging in a close up look at mortality. Many of these people had religious beliefs and they were, from my perspective, wide and varied.

Over time I came to understand that all these varied beliefs were at their core the same.

We are all the blind men struggling to define the elephant we can perceive only a tiny part of.

The main question I would pose is: Is having the presence of a power greater than ourselves making my life better?

I have failed again and again in my own life. Right now, I have been stuck in the same spot for the last several months, sober but spinning my wheels, stuck at an inadequate job, inadequate social life, inadequate transportation. I could blame my family, but really, my lack of backbone has gotten me in this spot.

A meaning to your life isn't given...you choose what fulfills you. Live and be well.

If they don't believe in God but still desire purpose, yes.

What I meant was, it doesn't matter what one calls it. Some people call it God and others call it something else. If it gives meaning to your life, but is called by some other name, it is really the same thing, just a different part of the elephant.

I don't believe that any of the religions have a complete understanding of God. They also just have another part of the elephant.

I realize this is not a typical view of God or Nature or whatever and not saying you or anyone else has to see it that way.

I think I would probably be pretty much even more useless if I did not have some spiritual component to my life. You might be onto something, I think.
It adds something to life that gives it an actual purpose and meaning. I need structure so I find that in religion-
(Full disclaimer; though I am finding this structure in the Catholic faith, I would not recommend online resources for said faith because it online Catholic spaces have become the equivalent of Fundamentalist Southern Style Protestantism Now With More Guilt.)

What I think is, when people start asking themselves these kinds of questions, they are looking, and that is a good thing because many people do not ever look around and think as to what they could do to improve this side of their lives.

Good luck @Metalhead & I think a lot of people are looking into spirituality now as late stage consumer capitalism is failing to satisfy. (Humans have too much complexity to satisfy with only "stuff.")

Many of those rehab places push religion because a force external to the patient's mind can be a very powerful source of accountability. And, since God knows all your secrets, one cannot hide from said external influence. Basically, God is an effigy of a conscience - a tool teaching people to reconcile their desires with reality and avoid bad consequences. God is an intangible idea people can rely on for guidance and unconditional acceptance after all tangible forms of familial support and social acceptance have been rejected or destroyed.

So, I'd say finding Jesus solely for self-serving reasons isn't a healthy way to cope.

I'd like to point out none of this has anything to say about whether or not God exists. But, I also want to point out, in this context, God is being misappropriated as a bandaide for society's failings.

My faith has always been my anchor in life, so i am glad i have it. It is a constant truth in an everchanging world for me.
Although lately i have been struggling with not being pious enough.

Someone once said, "The worst part of sobriety is becoming a Christnan," and I think about that all the time. It feels almost inevitable, once you start looking for answers. But has always seemed like the easy way out to me.

Just listen what a 'fool' tells you... Jesus works... i mean he can change your life, if you let him.
The more eye opening stuff you can get in this life, is knowing not only that God exists, he can also interact with you.
I always believed in God, but i thought he was a judge far away in the sky, in his place, that no way he could be close to people, long story short, i ended up in a church, the Holy spirit touched me, it was so eye opening, and the experience that followed that, that now i am fully convinced, that God is the answer to the big questions, 'what the purpose of my life?, from where i come from? etc etc.

Worked for me. I always think of this quote by Galadrial in The Lord of the Rings: "May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out." Also Gollum: "Very close to Mordor. No safe places here..."

New Threads

Top Bottom