• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maybe autism

I have a heck of a time looking someone in the eyes for more than a second or two without it feeling overwhelming. I always have to look away to talk. My psychologist suggested maybe I could practise looking at someone in the eyes to get better at it. That's like asking someone to practise listening to nails scaping a chalkboard to get more relaxed with the horrid sound.

As a child I didn't like being touched. I even had nightmares about it. My mother said I would cry even louder if she tried to pick me up when I was a baby crying. Light touch is the worst. Firm touch is okay.

This is going to sound disgusting but...I hate taking a shower. I like being clean and don't like being dirty but I hate taking a shower so much that I can go a week without getting clean. (Baths are even worse). I don't like the change from being dressed, then I am not dressed, then I am being pummeled with water droplets, then I'm washing, drying... I don't like the sensory changes.

I feel the things I see...literally. When I see the wheels turning on a car, I literally feel the motion of the wheel as if I was the wheel. It's true for everything I pay attention to - I don't have any sight without a physical sensation. I feel the movement of people's arms and legs, the leaves moving on a tree etc.

My least favorite date is going to a restaurant. I don't like taking a bite of food only to look up and find someone's face staring at me. I prefer to eat alone.

But I do like people and although I have difficulty forming friendships because I've never been able to figure out how to go about it - I have still had a few very close friendships over the years. People usually think I'm quirky but funny and in general I have a nice disposition. In terms of sensory things driving me nuts, I expend a lot of energy hiding it.

Every evening I find myself mentally reviewing my social intereactions for the day - trying to figure out what people meant and if my response was appropriate to the situation. I seem to do it automatically - just trying to figure out how to better fit in.

I was diagnosed with ADHD many years ago and learning disabilities and have a daughter with ADHD and recently diagnosed ASD. Even tho I am old, I'm thinking of checking out a ASD diagnosis for myself. But I do - at my age (69) - feel embarrassed to be asking about it.

Welcome! It's never too late to discover more of yourself - if nothing else, you can better take care of yourself :)

welcome to af.png

Welcome! Please don't feel embarassed. Older folk often were not diagnosed and women in particular were simply ignored or misdiagnosed. (Though, I have no way to know if you are female) There are a lot if out there.

Don't feel embarrassed about wanting an ASD assessment for yourself. You can do what's best for you.

I was diagnosed later in life. It was the "missing piece of the puzzle" for me and was one of the best choices I made in my life because it helped explain so much and put my life into perspective and ultimately, not only did it give me a sense of peace I never had, it also allowed me to accept and love myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom