• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mask for Smell Sensitivity

Chat's Meow

Hi there! I'm new. I joined because I had a question that I couldn't find the answer to online...

Does anyone know of a mask to block smells? One that isn't too flashy. Something that I can wear to completely or mostly block out smells?

Last edited:
Normally I'd point you towards most any N95-rated disposable respirator mask, but at the moment all such masks are supposed to go exclusively to medical professionals on the "front line" of fighting the coronavirus.

Though there may be other types of such masks that still effectively filter out strong smells. Though they're all quite obvious visually. Nothing subtle about them. Yet at the moment no one is wearing a mask for fashion reasons either.

Here's such a link at least to let you know what's out there. Though presently it's probably somewhere between difficult and impossible to obtain one rated as an N95 mask or otherwise.

What is the Best Respirator For Terrible Smells?

You might also look for carbon filtration filters that you can place inside a more conventional mask. Won't be airtight or totally effective in blocking noxious smells, but it might help. Just understand that an Aspie wanting to block out really bad smells is a much taller order than simply wanting to protect one's self and others from the coronavirus.

It all comes down to your own individual sense of smell. Where there are no guarantees that there is some perfect solution to such a problem. Personally I have an extreme sense of smell, that more often than not makes life miserable at times.

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Br...carbon+filter+face+mask&qid=1587488726&sr=8-6

Last edited:
lucky you! it's the hot new trend right now! get yerself a medical mask or make one yourself.

if you like, I can send you a pattern. I am currently making them for chemo patients.

Normally I'd point you towards most any N95-rated disposable respirator mask, but at the moment all such masks are supposed to go exclusively to medical professionals on the "front line" of fighting the coronavirus.

Though there may be other types of such masks that still effectively filter out strong smells. Though they're all quite obvious visually. Nothing subtle about them. Yet at the moment no one is wearing a mask for fashion reasons either.

Here's such a link at least to let you know what's out there. Though presently it's probably somewhere between difficult and impossible to obtain one rated as an N95 mask or otherwise.

What is the Best Respirator For Terrible Smells?

You might also look for carbon filtration filters that you can place inside a more conventional mask. Won't be airtight or totally effective in blocking noxious smells, but it might help. Just understand that an Aspie wanting to block out really bad smells is a much taller order than simply wanting to protect one's self from the coronavirus.

It all comes down to your own individual sense of smell. Where there are no guarantees that there is some perfect solution to such a problem. Personally I have an extreme sense of smell, that more often than not makes life miserable at times.

https://www.amazon.com/Activated-Br...carbon+filter+face+mask&qid=1587488726&sr=8-6
Thank you for your response! It was very helpful, and I'll check your links out. I appreciate the help!

lucky you! it's the hot new trend right now! get yerself a medical mask or make one yourself.

if you like, I can send you a pattern. I am currently making them for chemo patients.
I appreciate it, but I'm not very experienced with sewing nor do I have a kit to sew with, so no thank you. But thank you for replying!

I appreciate it, but I'm not very experienced with sewing nor do I have a kit to sew with, so no thank you. But thank you for replying!

No sew masks! No sewing required! All you need is a 10x10 piece of fabric.

Materials:
2 headbands
1 cloth
1 felt

1. Take your fabric and place it face down on a flat surface.
2. Fold the top half down to the middle and then fold the bottom half up to the middle so the two ends meet. (I recommend ironing every fold, but not required)
3. From there, flip it over so that the seam faces down.
4. Then fold the top half down to the middle and fold the bottom half up to the middle.
5. Flip it over again. After that take the felt and place it under the 2 flaps.
6. Take one headband and twist like if you were putting your hair in a ponytail so it has 2 loops and then loop it over each end of the folded rectangle about 1/3 of the way from the end. Repeat on the other side
7. Fold the free sides of the rectangle in toward the middle so one layers over the other.
8. Flip it over and hold it and pull one loop from the headband on each side and this is the part that will go over the ear.

I have encountered this also. One quick little trick, can't vouch if safe because in no way am l a medical doctor therefore sign my 20 page release of medical liability of no medical injury to you or your unborn, pets, spouses or friends.

I just take a cotton swab and put a cologne smell l like and dab it on around the outside nostril part of my nose. It's quick and easy. It blocks out smells you don't like, it's masking at it's finest.

I think autopsists do something similar to the above, dab something under the nostrils, I seen it on tv shows anyways

The only mask that I can think of for dealing with smells is to just put a clothes pin on your nose. It might look silly, but it defiantly works.

When I was working as a nurse, I often would dab something under my nose - a hint of my favorite perfume. If you want a mask - I'd suggest doing the same - dabbing a little pleasant smelling something on it.

I can vouch for the fact that fabric masks do NOT block smells. (On a similar note, the smell of whatever I ate for lunch is less appetizing later. Coleslaw burps are MUCH worse when wearing a mask.)

Perfume on the mask might work, or Vick's under the nose (if you like the smell of Vick's or at least don't mind it.)

I can vouch for the fact that fabric masks do NOT block smells.

True.

It's why I immediately posted about portable respirators. Otherwise most any more conventional mask will not likely keep out pungent smells, especially for sensitive noses on the spectrum. Adding a filter underneath a cloth mask might help, but probably won't eliminate smells entirely.

New Threads

Top Bottom