• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Martial Arts and the Autism Spectrum

When it comes to martial arts (karate, boxing, whatever), I

• Think it's a good idea for those on the spectrum.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Study or have studied and it has been helpful.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Do not see it's benefit for those on the spectrum.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Prefer to use "The Force."

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If someone is going to beat me up or kill me. They are going to beat me up or kill me. I can tell you this though. That person may have injured my body, but that person will have a torn soul after I'm done talking to them. Even if I only get one word in, or wink an eyebrow.

I did karate several years back as a young adult. Though I wasn't diagnosed back then, I found that it improved my coordination and flexibility as well as my confidence. I think it would be good for kids on the spectrum because it provides not only physical training and coordination, but also a social structure and a clear, unambiguous set of rules for behaviour, which, when learned, can reduce stress because the kids would know exactly what they should be doing (when to bow, calling the sensei "sir", doing the exercises with the group, etc.).

While I have never been in a situation in my adult life which required self-defense per se, I have been in situations in which I have needed to fall properly (riding my bike really fast downhill when the front wheel suddenly locked, for example) or I might have been injured and my karate training helped with that.

I had the chance to do Karate when I was younger as I was getting bullied at the time - although my Dad made it perfectly clear to me that if I chose to learn it, it wasn't so I could just go and start fights with the bullies (to be fair, I've read some stuff saying that karate wouldn't be that effective in a street fight anyway depending on the style you learn) and that it was just for exercise and building my confidence up.

Stupidly, I decided not to do it and instead chose an alternate sport. I say stupidly because I ended up in hospital for several weeks with a broken leg.
(Ah well - at least I didn't have to sit my SATs because of it). :D

Boxing and taekwondo for a good deal of my life. My father taught me to box, as I was small and picked on a lot by other older girls, I stopped training in my fifties because my hands hurt so much after practice. Also did gymnastics from about the age of eight until I was fourteen or so.

Taekwondo I studied from the time I was in my twenties, right up to now, I still practice basic moves and kicks and blocks and punches, but don't go to a dojo as there aren't any nearby, sometimes I wish there was. All of the sports I chose and liked were essentially lone sports, like cycling that I could learn on my own. But they all seem to have one thing in common, they were things that I learned by watching other people do them in real time, as your article states and that seems to be the pattern and the draw for me.

My hand and eye coordination was and still is very poor in comparison to others. Field hockey and basketball and baseball which I played, I was terrible at, and my coaches knew it, although I can still catch and throw a ball pretty close to where I want to. But sports where I didn't have to compete with others, like taekwondo and gymnastics are something that I truly enjoy. I liked the routines, the practice, the rituals involved in those sports. And still do.

I've seen a few videos of Krav Maga in use. One of the things I find puzzling is the close up 'in your face' blows. Wading right in, and giving the attacker no chance to fight back, with the element of surprise involved, the attacker ends up defending themselves only and backing up. What if they had a weapon? And what if you are defending yourself from someone who is bigger than you? As a female, I'm smaller and not as strong, how would this help me? And maybe I have the wrong impression of Krav Maga.

Last edited:
I think ballet and modern dance are also good disciplines for those on the spectrum, and martial arts share similar characteristics. Dance covers a lot of bases - physical repetitiveness to develop muscle memory and strength, beautiful and unlimited freedom of expression in choreography and music choice, healthy exercise, the good mental feelings that flow from a good physical workout, and something I've found unique to ballet which is a consistent, intense internal concentration needed in order to dance.

Very cool that you’re learning Krav Maga! :) I really hope this awakens your best good feelings about yourself, helps you in other areas in daily life, and becomes something you feel passionate about! So awesome!

Since learning t’ai chi, I was amazed that it extinguished my C-PTSD flashbacks. I’d never hea4d it could do that. It took about 4 months of t’ai chi for me to notice the flashbacks were less. I’d endured them for many years, since childhood and tried talk therapy, anti-anxiety medications, a skilled hypnotist, etc. The flashbacks are now essentially gone!

Today, the tai chi gentles the waves of my anxiety. It is both a long term daily practice to strengthen me from within, and it is also a “right now remedy” in any suddenly stressful situation which may happen.

I have tai chi added to my autism toolkit along with the other chi-flowing energy arts I use, Zen sitting meditation, and reiki.

More external, hard, dynamic martial arts such as Krav Maga absolutely also move chi, and strengthen body and mind. I’m so excited for you!

I did a bit of Karate with my son. The problem was doing the katas. I couldn't remember the moves. I would turn the wrong way or forget it. I found it very frustrating. I can have poor motor skills at times.

Very cool that you’re learning Krav Maga! :) I really hope this awakens your best good feelings about yourself, helps you in other areas in daily life, and becomes something you feel passionate about! So awesome!

Since learning t’ai chi, I was amazed that it extinguished my C-PTSD flashbacks. I’d never hea4d it could do that. It took about 4 months of t’ai chi for me to notice the flashbacks were less. I’d endured them for many years, since childhood and tried talk therapy, anti-anxiety medications, a skilled hypnotist, etc. The flashbacks are now essentially gone!

Today, the tai chi gentles the waves of my anxiety. It is both a long term daily practice to strengthen me from within, and it is also a “right now remedy” in any suddenly stressful situation which may happen.

I have tai chi added to my autism toolkit along with the other chi-flowing energy arts I use, Zen sitting meditation, and reiki.

More external, hard, dynamic martial arts such as Krav Maga absolutely also move chi, and strengthen body and mind. I’m so excited for you!
I would like to know more about Tai Chi.

I never did it because I have very severe sensory issues and cannot stand to take my shoes off. I had to get special shoes when I was meditating. I just cannot stand skin to skin and stuff. Do they make you take shoes off?

I just do the simple Yang 24 form. I actually get a sort of “high” now and again while doing it. I learned at a senior center about 7 years ago.

I find it amazing that the principles of tai chi have helped me in struggles in life, such as personal conflicts. “When pushed, pull.” Balance. Breathing. Go with the flow. Sometimes the strongest thing one can be is soft and yielding. The antidote to fear is compassion. Our bodies are natural conduits for chi, and this soft, internal art makes changes where they are most needed, I guess.

I hope your Krav Maga continues to intrigue you! I hope to hear more of you discovering your many strengths through the art.

I don’t spar. Perhaps I will in future. The martial aspect has less appeal than the transformative inner strength-building, for me.

Not surprised by these findings. I also have done boxing and Tae Kwon Do. I feel that the repetitive motor movements are something that I enjoy. I do atleast a round or two of shadow boxing before every workout.

I think I would have found martial arts training really beneficial in my youth. Alas I was forced into team sports. I agree that the repetitive aspect, the control needed over your body and the mindfulness aspects would have been highly rewarding. I believe I would have felt more in control and more aware of my body. The visual teaching style I would have taken to like a duck to water.

I have recently tried Wing Chun as an adult and really enjoyed it.
I also do barre ballet (combination of ballet, yoga and pilates) which has a similar effect.

I believe taking up ballet and Wing Chun as a child would have been most beneficial. Better late than never...

I did Japanese Karate for years, even before I was diagnosed Aspie, and when I had to stop training due to a back injury, I carried on teaching myself from YouTube footage.

Then just over a year ago I started training in Taekwondo, which is a South Korean form of Karate, and have to date passed 1 grading to white belt with yellow stripe, next grading for yellow belt is coming up before Christmas, which I hope to pass.

A family member does Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Once you learn the techniques, its based on instinct. You dont need to memorize patterns. It gives you self confidence in public even when your words can't disarm someone

I suck at Brazilian jiu-jitsu but I've been doing it for 10 years, it has lead to a lot of friends and got me over my fear of touching other people. How to respect people, self-discipline etc etc.

I passed my yellow belt, there's another grading coming in March for yellow belt with green stripe, but I've missed a lot of training so far this year due to illness, so Mr Shillabeer might say I'm not ready for it this time, not a problem, I need a bit more practice of the pattern anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom