• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Martha Carrier

puzzlingbill

Definitely Someone
On August 19, 1692, 325 years ago today, my great great great great great great great great grandmother (that's 8 greats), Martha Carrier, was executed in Salem, Massachusettes after being convicted at the Witch Trials. I realize that the connection between Salem and witches is inevitable because of the notoriety of the Witch Trials and because of books like The Crucible, which many American high school students read. I think it needs to be pointed out that Martha Carrier was not a witch. She refused to plead guilty to anything, as many did to avoid prosecution. Instead she called the proceedings nonsense and was executed as a result.

Her sons (including my great great great great great great great grandfather Andrew) were tortured in front of her in court to get a confession. The fact that she had business dealings with a neighbor rather than let her husband do it was cited as evidence that she was a witch. Cotton Mather, who will be familiar to anyone who has learned about Puritain New England, called her The Queen of Hell.

Since I'm on the spectrum and I'm descended from her, I've wondered if she was on the spectrum too. That might explain why she wasn't Miss Popularity in Salem and became a target for the group of Mean Girls that were tossing out the accusations. Some of what went on reminds me of the bullying people on the spectrum sometimes have to endure. The family was eventually paid 7 pounds 6 shillings in compensation for the wrongful death and her conviction was reversed. My family has kept track through the generations so this injustice won't be forgotten.

For those who are interested, the Wikipedia article on Martha Carrier has a more detailed telling of her story. There was a best seller a few years ago written by another Martha Carrier survivor, The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. Martha Carrier is the heretic in the title of the book, which is told from the point of view of her daughter. For information about this book, see the author's page about the book and the New York Times review.

I liken this to what can happen in small tribes or villages.

Imagine the crop fails. Villagers rise up- there needs to be a reason.

A scapegoat is found and sacrificed.

Villagers settle down again. The village leader congratulates himself at succesful village management.

I also wonder if the politicians of the day were happt enough to use innocent young girls to ake sure the spotlight on them.

Perhaps with an outsiders viewpoint it is easier to see tne patterns of superstitious thought develop.
People like to pretend we've moved on from those times - i see people as just the same - excuses, needing to find someone to blame to absolve their own sins.
Nobody learns.

I think it's great that you've kept this family record, thanks for posting :)

to me its cowardice a neighbours'child' shouted witch at me because i was speaking to a departing visitor saying i was irritated that there was rarely a parking space directly outside my house .
i can guarantee he would not have said that to a 'man '!and im sure im harassed by children because im female
On August 19, 1692, 325 years ago today, my great great great great great great great great grandmother (that's 8 greats), Martha Carrier, was executed in Salem, Massachusettes after being convicted at the Witch Trials. I realize that the connection between Salem and witches is inevitable because of the notoriety of the Witch Trials and because of books like The Crucible, which many American high school students read. I think it needs to be pointed out that Martha Carrier was not a witch. She refused to plead guilty to anything, as many did to avoid prosecution. Instead she called the proceedings nonsense and was executed as a result.

Her sons (including my great great great great great great great grandfather Andrew) were tortured in front of her in court to get a confession. The fact that she had business dealings with a neighbor rather than let her husband do it was cited as evidence that she was a witch. Cotton Mather, who will be familiar to anyone who has learned about Puritain New England, called her The Queen of Hell.

Since I'm on the spectrum and I'm descended from her, I've wondered if she was on the spectrum too. That might explain why she wasn't Miss Popularity in Salem and became a target for the group of Mean Girls that were tossing out the accusations. Some of what went on reminds me of the bullying people on the spectrum sometimes have to endure. The family was eventually paid 7 pounds 6 shillings in compensation for the wrongful death and her conviction was reversed. My family has kept track through the generations so this injustice won't be forgotten.

For those who are interested, the Wikipedia article on Martha Carrier has a more detailed telling of her story. There was a best seller a few years ago written by another Martha Carrier survivor, The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent. Martha Carrier is the heretic in the title of the book, which is told from the point of view of her daughter. For information about this book, see the author's page about the book and the New York Times review.

If you can get a DNA sample as far back as possible, then you can test that sample for the currently recognized markers. Then test your own DNA.

Maybe she was smarter than all those around her and they simply hated her intelligence, by labeling her a witch. Humans at times seem more brutal than the most ferocious animals on the planet.

Sounds like she had a lot of sense. Thanks for sharing her story.

New Threads

Top Bottom