• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maps

V.I.P Member
I was just reminded of this over the past week.

As a kid I was a little obsessive about maps. I would constantly be taking the road map book out of the family car and "reading" it in my room for hours at a time. Then forgetting to put it back. Which my mum was never happy about when she was out on the road and became lost or when she needed to find something :blink: .

Even now I love maps, I always want to buy every map I see when I go to a new place.

My map reading skills are almost as good as my innate directional skills are bad. So it kind of balances out - as long as I have a map at hand.

It is funny because my son has just turned 5 and he loves maps. He can't really read them properly yet, but we were in Bangkok for the last 10 days (just got back last night) and he was constantly picking up maps at the skytrain stations and poring over them. Asking me to show him where various things were on the maps, figuring out how to fold and unfold them properly, asking me to explain what the map meant.

With some of his traits I can't really tell if they are his as such, or whether he is just trying to be like me. But that is another story.

I suck at maps I think.
The only time I had to use one was for Geography years ago(I universally suck at Geography and dropped it) and I wasn't really paying attention so meh.
They never really fascinated me or anything though.
I like shopping mall maps if that counts? For the last 5 years or so I've probably collected like 10 maps of the Trafford Centre every time I go there. The floors confuse me though and I always end up looking at the wrong floor or something.
I feel I have a decent sense of direction though :D.
EMZ=]

im actually really good at reading maps and it doesn't take long to find where i am on an OS map by just looking at my surroundings

I love maps. I have a big OS map that I used to stare at.
Since Google Earth was released, I've wasted so much of my life exploring on there. I also like looking at airports (another obsession).

I see myself as a human GPS, once I travel to a place once or twice or a route, I tend to remember it off by heart. :p
I can read any map and memorize it after a couple of times.

I don't so much like reading maps and my sense of direction isn't great (I don't know if this has anything to do with my terrible spacial awareness or not), but I've always liked maps and globes. When I was thirteen I went through this phase of memorising countries, where they went and their capital cities and things. I don't know why, but it all seems so ordered and neat and right. In my room I have a big world map, a Paris metro network map, a map of Europe, pictures of maps I've cut out from magazines, a map of China, pictures of flags etc. When I was little I always wanted a globe but my parents thought it would take up too much room. My dad is the same, he likes maps a lot. I didn't like it when he pulled out his massive atlas and showed me things in it, that was boring. I preferred to do it by myself.

My obsession started when I took geography. I really enjoyed drawing maps when I was in class. I'm a person can be entertain watching a GPS map in the car. Sometimes map in my head is very effective. I remember a place I traveled to a long time ago. 6 years later I went to the same place again. My family wanted to know driving directions to get to the place and the directions was still in my head.I can also understand land mass sometimes and know the route is going to become.

New Threads

Top Bottom