• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Mandated Reporter Failure

Fino

Alex
V.I.P Member
I encountered a clear case of child abuse while working as a therapist. Everyone I worked for told me not to report it because the abusers are our client, and every one of them gave me false information on what it means to be a mandated reporter and about child abuse reporting in general.

Please sign my petition to require them to have child abuse training. I believe they're non-compliant in their lack of training, and I will be contacting the two state entities responsible for regulating this, once I get more signatures.

Signez la pétition

Last edited:
Redlight!

Please call CASA, and ask for help. You may be confused as to your roles and responsibilities. Mandatory reporting is a statute in both local, state and federal jurisdictions. It's a large body of work and very confusing. The needs of the child always come first! Where is the little sprigon growing to grow up at when her parents lose custody rights? What if foster care at your local is already at six kids in bunk beds in a small bedroom? Who is the abuser? Are they connected politically? Maybe they are scare you down crooks with lotsa money?

By what right do you breach confidentiality on a public forum? Please contact the United Way for a referral of a local to help you. If you fork this up you could lose your license, go to jail and get sued while you are in lock up.

You don't have a choice in reporting it. "Mandated" reporting is just that, a mandate. All it takes is reasonable suspicion and you must report it.

You report it directly to law enforcement.
At least in California, you do not report it to your superiors, you don't even discuss it with them. They have no advisory function. Telling them could potentially impact an investigation. You can make your identity confidential in the report. If others impede you in making a report, they are committing a crime.

Many people intentionally don't see the obvious because they don't want to be the one to pull the pin. It is difficult to prove but the reporter can get into serious trouble for failure to making a report. Put yourself in the shoes of the child before you decide not to.

I was a mandated reporter as a Boy Scouts assistant and as a substitute teacher. California trains us to death on this subject. Your state or country may vary.

What are Mandatory Reporting Laws? (Penal Codes 11164 – 11174.3)

If you are considered a “mandatory reporter,” you must tell a local law enforcement agency or child welfare department if you are aware of or suspect child abuse or neglect. Telling your supervisor does not fulfill your obligation.

You must make the report within 36 hours of receiving information about the incident. You may submit the report confidentially.

If you are required to report actual or suspected incidences of child abuse or neglect and you fail to do so, or you impede the making of a mandatory report, you can be charged with a crime.

Document thoroughly what you saw. Now, if Child Welfare finds nothing, you've done what you could and you have no liability for a good faith report.

Last edited:
Yes, I reported it without hesitation. I almost didn't even check with the company, but I thought they'd like to know. I was trained as a social worker. Reports are practically part of our identity. I've had to go through child abuse training about five times.

I won't respond to everything on here, because that's a lot, but I'll just point out that when it comes to child abuse or neglect cases, their primary goal is not separation, it's reparation.

New Threads

Top Bottom