• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Managing Anxieties - the FLOAT Method

Tyrantus1212

An odd dinosaur. Yet a dinosaur.
Hello everyone. My name is Mike and my psychologist thinks I have Asperger's. I initially went to him to inquire about my terrible anxieties, which I have been struggling with for many years. At the same time, I told him about everything else, that I'm just feeling different and fighting numerous inner demons. Anxieties, however, are among the worst struggles I'm facing. I've never been able to manage them on my own. They've sucked away half of the happiness I could have otherwise experienced. They ruined my relationships with people I love and care about. Enough is enough. The anxieties were the first topic I brought up to my doc, and he told me that it's a common trait in Asperger's. He recommended a method of managing them, using the acronym FLOAT. He first told me to picture the word "float", and compare this to...floating on a raft. When you float on a raft, you just enjoy it and don't care about all the big waves coming at you from the ocean. Same with the anxieties and the intrusive thoughts they bring - even if they're unavoidably present, I must not allow them to take over and dominate my mind and my life. I've applied this method and it's been working for some types of anxieties so far - but I must keep in mind that it cannot be mastered overnight. It's what the doc told me, and he's right. So here it goes:

F is for Feel. I must feel the intrusive thought first enter my mind and create that initial pang of anxiety. The doc called it the "initial whoosh".

L is for Listen.
I must listen to what the intrusive thought is saying. For example - I recently left a can of yogurt out and let a spoon touch the yogurt's remnants. I immediately started fearing getting sick with botulism by eating with that spoon even after having washed it. So the evil intrusive thought was telling me, "you will get sick with botulism and become a cripple".

O is for Observe. This is the most important step, and the toughest one to apply. I must look around for any REAL evidence of the feared event happening. It sounds simple, but it will take a lot of mastering for someone like myself. In my example, there wasn't a shred of evidence that I would get botulism; I simply googled for botulism and spoiled yogurt; yogurt wasn't mentioned nearly as much as meats and canned foods in regards to botulism, not to mention how very rare botulism is in general, and the fact that spoiled yogurt is a common occurrence. I should have immediately stopped at these facts.

A is for Accept.
Once the observation step has been completed, I should accept the intrusive thought's presence my mind, but let it stay in the background - NOT in the foreground, taking over. My doctor said that "banishing" intrusive thoughts is impossible; one can only manage them, in this case to leave them in the background.

T is for Tolerate. This simply means that I go back to doing what I was doing before the intrusive thought struck - and once the thought is in the background, tolerate its presence there and it will be forgotten - at least temporarily. There is a big chance it might resurface, intrude again...out of the blue. In that case, I must repeat the entire FLOAT process.

So hey, please share your opinions on this management strategy. Perhaps some of the anxiety sufferers here are applying something similar; let us know if it's helping. I just wanted to share this so that I could help the anxiety sufferers out there, because I know what it feels like and it's just horrible. Thanks!

This sounds quite sensible. Having something easy to remember in the moment... will let you know!

I don't know if my lifetime of anxieties was a component of my Asperger's or a result of living in a world where I felt I didn't belong. Your FLOAT concept might have helped me as a younger person but knowing about Asperger's would he helped a lot, too.

Thanks for sharing. I will have to give this a try. Anxiety has ruled over too much of my life.

hi tyrantus1212, i see you joined yesterday-welcome to AC and the spectrum!
your pyschologists word wouldnt help me as it would be to complicated for me to think of,my anxiety is constant and extreme but always wasnt this bad and id love to know why,i think its the world we live in, it is so unpredictible,coupled with having support from people who dont understand the spectrum or intellectual disability.

i find mindfulness meditation helps me,that is what my shrink taught me, have you ever tried it?
i stuck with it and it does help but it doesnt help me cut down on my emergency medication to much.

Hi Mike, welcome^‿^
I like the info, thanks for taking the time to write it all out. When I'm really anxious, I picture myself floating on my back in water. So your FLOAT technique would work for me, it seems a lot like something called mindfulness. The step I was missing is O for observation, as I usually put this at the end, so it would be something like FLAO leaving out the tolerate.

I'll have to revise it all, as this sounds like it just might work. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing. I will have to give this a try. Anxiety has ruled over too much of my life.

I'm really sad to hear that, mw. It's terrible, just terrible. The life I could have lived otherwise, everything I've missed out on...not to mention the way it ruins my relationships with people. I'm just so tired and weary, and I cannot take another ounce of these intrusive thoughts. Let us know if it helps, it helped me some. I'm nowhere near mastering it yet, it will take time unfortunately.

hi tyrantus1212, i see you joined yesterday-welcome to AC and the spectrum!
your pyschologists word wouldnt help me as it would be to complicated for me to think of,my anxiety is constant and extreme but always wasnt this bad and id love to know why,i think its the world we live in, it is so unpredictible,coupled with having support from people who dont understand the spectrum or intellectual disability.

i find mindfulness meditation helps me,that is what my shrink taught me, have you ever tried it?
i stuck with it and it does help but it doesnt help me cut down on my emergency medication to much.

I don't know. I feel like I might meditate, but the moment I get done it will all just come back. At the beat of a drum. I feel like meditation is just a temporary mask. How exactly does the meditation help you? At the same time I'm curious to know, perhaps I'm missing something. I might bring up the meditation subject to my psychologist, perhaps he'd give me tips as to how to do it properly without it being just a temporary solution.

I did speak to the psychologist about all the uncertainty of the world we live in, and of how I worry about even the unlikely scenarios. I keep telling him that even when it's unlikely, it's not 0%. His reply was, nothing is ever 0%. He also told me to always avoid thinking in terms of "what if" and instead think in terms of "what is". FLOAT is very much associated with this way of thinking.

I don't know if my lifetime of anxieties was a component of my Asperger's or a result of living in a world where I felt I didn't belong. Your FLOAT concept might have helped me as a younger person but knowing about Asperger's would he helped a lot, too.

My psychologist thinks it's related to Asperger's, due to the fact that I have other Aspie qualities. I too feel, a lot of the time, that I don't belong. Especially during college, I felt like I was some sort of alien from the moon compared to my NT classmates. Some people kept wondering if I was on drugs. I always felt like I was in my own unique category and had so much trouble fitting in. Even now, at work, I feel like the outsider. The odd duck. The good thing about it is that my boss and coworkers are nice and never make fun of me. I still feel different though. I've been feeling better about belonging lately because I've made a small number of friends who enjoy hanging out with me and support me for who I am. My parents always loved and supported me as well, but I just feel like I'm so different from them, I must be adopted. It's good to feel loved by people despite the fact that I'm not even sure if I love myself. Now I ask myself why didn't I just go to a psychologist years ago, knowing that there was something different about me? Was I in denial or something? So many questions now that the cat is out of the bag.

Hi Mike, welcome^‿^
I like the info, thanks for taking the time to write it all out. When I'm really anxious, I picture myself floating on my back in water. So your FLOAT technique would work for me, it seems a lot like something called mindfulness. The step I was missing is O for observation, as I usually put this at the end, so it would be something like FLAO leaving out the tolerate.

I'll have to revise it all, as this sounds like it just might work. Thanks.

No problem Mia! Glad to be of help. Let us know if it's working for ya :)

I did speak to the psychologist about all the uncertainty of the world we live in, and of how I worry about even the unlikely scenarios. I keep telling him that even when it's unlikely, it's not 0%.

This. This this this. This concept kept me having daily panic attacks for years. It all stemmed from Donald Rumsfeld's whole "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" thing that he used to try to explain away not finding WMDs in Iraq. I guess in the end I managed it with a sort of crude version of the method you describe, accepting that the risk is present but not caring about it. I bet if I actually applied the more sophisticated and refined FLOAT method things could be even better. Thanks for sharing, I'll try it out.

This. This this this. This concept kept me having daily panic attacks for years. It all stemmed from Donald Rumsfeld's whole "the absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence" thing that he used to try to explain away not finding WMDs in Iraq. I guess in the end I managed it with a sort of crude version of the method you describe, accepting that the risk is present but not caring about it. I bet if I actually applied the more sophisticated and refined FLOAT method things could be even better. Thanks for sharing, I'll try it out.

Glad to be of help, Gritches! I'll be sure to let my psychologist know that his method is helping people other than myself. I don't like Donald Rumsfeld's quote yet at the same time I've been listening to it throughout my entire life. Back to that botulism anxiety example I brought up - a pure example of a "what if" type of thought, as there was not a single shred of evidence that the spoiled yogurt remnants contained the botulism toxin, plus the fact that I washed the spoon and there was no evidence at all of the yogurt remnants splashing themselves across other dishes or still being on the spoon; I made an invalid assumption there. I was thinking "what if these remnants of yogurt contain botulism simply because it says online that spoiled yogurt might get moldy and the mold could allow the botulism toxin to form", without any botulism evidence in this concrete case being present. Notice how I highlighted all the theoretical words that do not indicate any real evidence. And let's say I were to suddenly feel the symptoms of botulism (and I didn't) - then I would have still not known where it came from, due to lack of evidence of it coming from the yogurt remnants in the first place; plus I eat sausages a lot, and that would have been a more likely cause. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop eating sausages. Spoilage is not always evident in bad foods, either. I should have been thinking in terms of "what IS" instead of "what if", and that takes time to master completely. That's what the doc told me - think in terms of "what IS", not "what if". I'm only scratching the surface here at this point in time.

Glad to be of help, Gritches! I'll be sure to let my psychologist know that his method is helping people other than myself. I don't like Donald Rumsfeld's quote yet at the same time I've been listening to it throughout my entire life. Back to that botulism anxiety example I brought up - a pure example of a "what if" type of thought, as there was not a single shred of evidence that the spoiled yogurt remnants contained the botulism toxin, plus the fact that I washed the spoon and there was no evidence at all of the yogurt remnants splashing themselves across other dishes or still being on the spoon; I made an invalid assumption there. I was thinking "what if these remnants of yogurt contain botulism simply because it says online that spoiled yogurt might get moldy and the mold could allow the botulism toxin to form", without any botulism evidence in this concrete case being present. Notice how I highlighted all the theoretical words that do not indicate any real evidence. And let's say I were to suddenly feel the symptoms of botulism (and I didn't) - then I would have still not known where it came from, due to lack of evidence of it coming from the yogurt remnants in the first place; plus I eat sausages a lot, and that would have been a more likely cause. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop eating sausages. Spoilage is not always evident in bad foods, either. I should have been thinking in terms of "what IS" instead of "what if", and that takes time to master completely. That's what the doc told me - think in terms of "what IS", not "what if". I'm only scratching the surface here at this point in time.

Aye, the "what if" was killing me. I lived a high-risk lifestyle at the time, and in retrospect I don't think autism helped, being able to see every possible contingency. Being afraid to go to sleep because I might wake up in Hell, now that's a Hell of my own creation. It didn't matter how careful I was, the "what if" still existed, simply because it was possible. Focusing on the evidence helped, but as opposed to FLOAT I was trying to banish the anxious thoughts from my mind. Like I say, FLOAT might be infinitely more helpful, giving me permission to feel these anxious thoughts but not allowing them to consume me. Hooray!

Aye, the "what if" was killing me. I lived a high-risk lifestyle at the time, and in retrospect I don't think autism helped, being able to see every possible contingency. Being afraid to go to sleep because I might wake up in Hell, now that's a Hell of my own creation. It didn't matter how careful I was, the "what if" still existed, simply because it was possible. Focusing on the evidence helped, but as opposed to FLOAT I was trying to banish the anxious thoughts from my mind. Like I say, FLOAT might be infinitely more helpful, giving me permission to feel these anxious thoughts but not allowing them to consume me. Hooray!

Yes!! Feel, but not let them consume you. That's the exact concept behind FLOAT! One can never really banish them - only manage them. You're on the right track there, Gritches!

Anxiety and panic attacks took my life over at age 13. Knew nothing of Aspergers then. Psychiatrists said I had an anxiety disorder so I was put on some tranquilizers.
This didn't help and I really started withdrawing from just about everything, making my own little world of security and hobbies at home with my parents.
Only recently have I found ways of dealing with it much like FLOAT. Mindfulness is one my therapist suggested.
Meditation can be a temporary solution as you said. But, when I get brain foggy and spacey or just have the time, meditation with peaceful music feels really nice. And I think even if it doesn't prevent attacks or thoughts. I figure the more times of relaxation you can give your mind and body helps counterbalance the times of stress.
FLOAT sounds great and much like the techniques I now use of 'just be with it' and 'panic away'. It is difficult to master OK, but, the more I practice the better I can apply it. Hyperventilation is one of my most obvious and most difficult to stop. The mindfulness of knowing the sensations and thoughts are just a part of the process and I'm not going to die from the feelings is what I'm practicing. I'm applying the deep breaths, focusing on a simple word to associate with relaxation, muscle tensing and releasing along with the just go with it.
Driving triggers anxiety for me...always. It never fails. But, I have learned to use these techniques to get through it and it does get better. I know I couldn't have done the things I am now three years ago without this accepting technique. I may feel anxiety from many things or just spontaneously, but, I'm getting through it easier now. Good post.

Pregablin helps with my anxieties, so does alcohol but i wouldnt recommend the later as its very dangerous when mixed with medication....! So i drink chamomile tea when times are about to get out of hand......!

Anxiety and panic attacks took my life over at age 13. Knew nothing of Aspergers then. Psychiatrists said I had an anxiety disorder so I was put on some tranquilizers.
This didn't help and I really started withdrawing from just about everything, making my own little world of security and hobbies at home with my parents.
Only recently have I found ways of dealing with it much like FLOAT. Mindfulness is one my therapist suggested.
Meditation can be a temporary solution as you said. But, when I get brain foggy and spacey or just have the time, meditation with peaceful music feels really nice. And I think even if it doesn't prevent attacks or thoughts. I figure the more times of relaxation you can give your mind and body helps counterbalance the times of stress.
FLOAT sounds great and much like the techniques I now use of 'just be with it' and 'panic away'. It is difficult to master OK, but, the more I practice the better I can apply it. Hyperventilation is one of my most obvious and most difficult to stop. The mindfulness of knowing the sensations and thoughts are just a part of the process and I'm not going to die from the feelings is what I'm practicing. I'm applying the deep breaths, focusing on a simple word to associate with relaxation, muscle tensing and releasing along with the just go with it.
Driving triggers anxiety for me...always. It never fails. But, I have learned to use these techniques to get through it and it does get better. I know I couldn't have done the things I am now three years ago without this accepting technique. I may feel anxiety from many things or just spontaneously, but, I'm getting through it easier now. Good post.

Thanks, Susan! Glad to have been of help. My anxieties took over my life at the age of 14, very close to yours - but I still had other Aspie qualities way before then and I knew nothing about Asperger's at the time either. My anxieties started out with a terrible bout of bronchitis when I was 14. I really don't want to go into it here, it'll just bring back too many bad memories. It all began purely with health related anxieties (e.g. "my body temperature is 37 degrees and not 36.6, does that mean I have leukemia?") and then it gradually spiraled over into myriads of other anxieties. My goal is to manage my anxieties without using tranquilizers, and that is exactly what my psychologist also wants to do. He said that the reason behind the fact that I started having non-health-related anxieties later on is because anxieties multiply. Tranquilizers probably wouldn't have helped me either. I too have anxieties related to driving, mainly hit & run OCD. It's what prevented me from regularly driving a car until I was 27.

Pregablin helps with my anxieties, so does alcohol but i wouldnt recommend the later as its very dangerous when mixed with medication....! So i drink chamomile tea when times are about to get out of hand......!

I don't drink alcohol...but does chamomile tea actually relax the mind?

I don't drink alcohol...but does chamomile tea actually relax the mind?
Yes it helps me mate...! When drank regular ive noticed a calm dreamy state of mind....! Theres a nightime version too which relaxs the mind before bedtime so to promote a good nights sleep... Worth a try tyrantus1212......!

Yes it helps me mate...! When drank regular ive noticed a calm dreamy state of mind....! Theres a nightime version too which relaxs the mind before bedtime so to promote a good nights sleep... Worth a try tyrantus1212......!

I drink tea every day, I can definitely give it a try.

New Threads

Top Bottom