• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Making Autism Work - Autistamatic Report

Autistamatic

He's just this guy, you know?
V.I.P Member
Blimey - 2 Autistamatic videos in less than 7 days????

What's got into me?!?!?!??!!!!!

"Making Autism Work" is an Autistamatic Report about the difficulties autistic people have finding and keeping work. We're the most underemployed social group in the US & Europe and that has to change. This is the first of a series of reports on the situation and what can be done about it.

Constructive criticism always welcome as are subscriptions to the channel :)

Blimey - 2 Autistamatic videos in less than 7 days????

What's got into me?!?!?!??!!!!!

"Making Autism Work" is an Autistamatic Report about the difficulties autistic people have finding and keeping work. We're the most underemployed social group in the US & Europe and that has to change. This is the first of a series of reports on the situation and what can be done about it.

Constructive criticism always welcome as are subscriptions to the channel :)

Another great video. See my reply on today's high achiever thread for a good example of what you said.

Wow, this is a FANTASTIC video. I relate to all of it. I work in fraud for a major bank in the U.S. It’s a low-stress, straighforward job that requires very little telephone contact with people, and I’m able to work from home, so I’m definitely one of the lucky 16% in that regard, but because of my poor social skills and inability to play-act the “happy smarmy corporate servant” role, I know I’m passed over when it comes to new projects and such. I’m hesitant to even apply for promotions because I’m terrible at interviews. And yet, I’d estimate that 75% of my co-workers are borderline incompetent...but the ones who are fluent in corporate BS are a thousand times more likely to be selected for promotions, projects, etc. despite being less good at their jobs. It’s insane because the bank shoots itself in the foot when it hires and promotes these people. I never go to social events, and while I’m not rude or unfriendly by any means, I have trouble with verbal communication; I don’t speak well, so most of the time I just don’t speak at all. What’s funny is that so many of the people who do speak well can’t write a single sentence using proper grammar and punctuation. Fake, dishonest, conformist charm is valued over skill, independence, and honesty. It’s mind blowing.

@Kalinychta you're speaking my language - one which an immense amount of us seem to be fluent int.
The sheer volume of tales just like yours are behind this video and others to come. Similar stories are everywhere. Those of us that are in work are so often overlooked because of our lack of social nous, pipped to the post by people who are sometimes manifestly incapable of the duties they've been given, who frustrate us no end. Even if you don't care about promotion and status yourself, the sheer contradiction of it drives many of us to distraction.

Something else I forgot to say is how uncomfortable the puerile nature of corporate culture makes me. Sometimes I feel like I’m in elementary school again when I’m at work or in meetings. Not long ago I was asked to fill out a questionnaire that included questions like: what is your favorite color? favorite animal? favorite food? favorite superhero? favorite flavor?

Come on, what’s my favorite animal?! Are you kidding me? I’m not twelve. At departmental meetings, we take turns thanking each other...I don’t understand why I would thank someone for doing his job, or why he would thank me for doing mine. I don’t want to have pizza parties. I don’t want to color a picture of my favorite superhero and pin it on a board in the hallway along with a note about why I’m like that superhero (this actually happened). In fact, I have no interest whatsoever in superheroes or comic book characters or any of that. I don’t think that everything is awesome! fantastic! or wonderful! which seem to be words that people use a lot in the most simple of situations (e.g. Co-worker: “Can I borrow your stapler?” Me: “Sure, of course.” Co-worker: “Awesome!” ...what the heck?...I don’t get it).

But there’s a strong current of hostility and warning beneath the fake “positivity.” It’s clear that you must participate in and enjoy being treated like a child who must be placated and manipulated with games and food...or else you’ll be regarded as negative (they love the words “negative” and “positive”).

I find it humiliating, and as an autistic person, I just can’t behave like I’m “supposed” to, thus I’m perceived as asocial and weird at best, hostile and “negative” at worst. Honestly, I just try to fly under the radar as much as possible.

@Kalinychta you're speaking my language - one which an immense amount of us seem to be fluent int.
The sheer volume of tales just like yours are behind this video and others to come. Similar stories are everywhere. Those of us that are in work are so often overlooked because of our lack of social nous, pipped to the post by people who are sometimes manifestly incapable of the duties they've been given, who frustrate us no end. Even if you don't care about promotion and status yourself, the sheer contradiction of it drives many of us to distraction.

I hear you. No wonder so many autistic people hit a burnout or breakdown point. Corporations harp on constantly about workplace diversity and yet they are demonstrably opposed to it. Absurd.

I find it humiliating, and as an autistic person, I just can’t behave like I’m “supposed” to, thus I’m perceived as asocial and weird at best, hostile and “negative” at worst. Honestly, I just try to fly under the radar as much as possible.

@Kalinychta - I could have written the above.

All of that fake back slapping, fake 'happy clappy' behaviour makes me feel sick and causes so much confusion. I just can't do it. I don't know how. And even if I did, I couldn't participate as it wouldn't feel remotely authentic.

All of that fake back slapping, fake 'happy clappy' behaviour makes me feel sick and causes so much confusion.

That made me smile. "Happy Clappy" is exactly the phrase I find myself using SO often when talking about contemporary workplace culture. Nowhere do I find it more noticeable than in anything passed off as training.

@Kalinychta - I could have written the above.

All of that fake back slapping, fake 'happy clappy' behaviour makes me feel sick and causes so much confusion. I just can't do it. I don't know how. And even if I did, I couldn't participate as it wouldn't feel remotely authentic.

Happy clappy! That’s exactly it. And I agree: even if I could pull off a decent imitation of their behavior, I wouldn’t. I’d quickly begin to despise myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom