• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Make a Spectrum Joke from....

tree

Blue/Green
Staff member
V.I.P Member
Some days I read Jokes on reddit. Today I saw one that by substituting a word, becomes a spectrum joke.

reddit version =

An old man goes to a job interview....
The HR Director asks him: "What would you say is your greatest weakness?"

The old man replies, "Honesty"

The HR Director says, "I don't really think honesty could be considered a weakness."

To which the old man says, "I don't really give a crap what you think"

Substitute aspie for 'old man.'
If you know or come across others that adapt well, post here.

(Yeah, I know this joke is old & the attitude is stereotypical in both versions.
What I am interested in is the process of adaptation and the result.)
;)

The Pastor and church leaders were going to be away for the whole weekend for a retreat, so they needed someone to do the sermon for the rest of the church on the Sunday. Knowing the young aspie man would be diligent in the role, he was duly asked and he accepted.
Being very anxious, he spent every spare moment preparing for his upcoming sermon. However, despite his preparation, he was still very nervous when the time came.
As he stood in front of the congregation, his hands searched inside the pulpit for something with which to fiddle to ease his nerves. Eventually they settled on a small nut, and he was able to work out some of his anxiety by playing with it.
As he spoke, everyone seemed enraptured with what he was saying, everyone's eyes were fixed in his direction. Surely, he thought to himself, the preparation has paid off.
After the meeting, a church member approached him, and shook his hand declaring 'Fascinating sermon, truly fascinating.'
As our young aspie was about to reply that he felt he had everyone eating out of his hands, the church member continued 'Yes, the whole time you were speaking, the cross on the front of the pulpit was frantically spinning!'

Last edited:
The old man approaches the aspie at the ATM.
"I've lost my glasses, son. Will you help me check my balance?"
So the aspie gives him a shove & topples him over.
Aspie: "Your balance is insufficient."

The old man approaches the aspie at the ATM.
"I've lost my glasses, son. Will you help me check my balance?"
So the aspie gives him a shove & topples him over.
Aspie: "Your balance is insufficient."
That made me giggle :)

NT walks into a barber shop.
Asks, "Bob Peters here? "

Aspie barber replies: "Nope. Just hair."

OK...here goes.
NT = neurotypical; barber shop is a place to get a hair cut.
Bob Peters is a person's name, a proper noun.

When the NT asks the truncated question, "Bob Peters here?" the aspie barber misunderstands.
The barber supposes the NT is using the word 'Bob' as a verb.
Bob cut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little boy may refer to his penis as a 'peter.'
So, the barber responds negatively to the question.
He does not perform surgeries/circumcisions, although barbers used to do surgery.
Barber surgeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This barber only cuts hair.

Some humor is to be derived from the aspie completely missing the social question
and responding in what seems to him to be the literal sense.

Oh, and here was I thinking the aspie barber thought the new comer was asking if the hair on the floor belonged to Bob. Too complex for me - I'm a simple (and apparently naive) lad :)

Oh, and here was I thinking the aspie barber thought the new comer was asking if the hair on the floor belonged to Bob. Too complex for me - I'm a simple (and apparently naive) lad :)

Interesting interpretation.
There would need to be an apostrophe in the last name to indicate possession, though.

No apostrophe needed as the aspie misunderstood what was said not written.
Here 'here' and 'hair' are said the same (same as bare/beer/bear :) ). You have a blend/sliding vowel on one?

Last edited:
No apostrophe needed as the aspie misunderstood what was said not written.
Here 'here' and 'hair' are said the same. You have a blend/sliding vowel?

Where I live, 'here' and 'hair' are not pronounced the same.
Some people pronounce 'pen' and 'pin' identically.

This has opened up new areas for me to think about.

Bob Peters was the name I saw in the joke originally.
If a person is not familiar with that 'little boy' term, the joke fails.

In some areas, the man's last name could be Cox. Where I grew up, that would make
the joke rude. "Peter" was generally used by 8 year-olds, but 'cock' was an overtly sexual word
more likely to be used by teens.

So I went with the original wording, except for making the characters NT & Aspie.

Last edited:

OK...here goes.
NT = neurotypical; barber shop is a place to get a hair cut.
Bob Peters is a person's name, a proper noun.

When the NT asks the truncated question, "Bob Peters here?" the aspie barber misunderstands.
The barber supposes the NT is using the word 'Bob' as a verb.
Bob cut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A little boy may refer to his penis as a 'peter.'
So, the barber responds negatively to the question.
He does not perform surgeries/circumcisions, although barbers used to do surgery.
Barber surgeon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This barber only cuts hair.

Some humor is to be derived from the aspie completely missing the social question
and responding in what seems to him to be the literal sense.
Thank you for clarifying. I was not aware of that use of the word "peter". But I don't talk with small people about peters, and I've never been a boy, small or otherwise.
But I understand now. The only thing i could think of before was the barber thought the NT was referring the the hair on the floor, and maybe .... Sweeney Todd-style.. Bob Peters had somehow been scattered , in bits, across the floor amongst the hair. ..
That sounds a little bit disturbing. I'm pleased it's just about .. Hang on, your version isn't much less disturbing. Especially if I had a peter of my own. I might have nightmares tonight!! [emoji33]

Thank you for clarifying. I was not aware of that use of the word "peter". But I don't talk with small people about peters, and I've never been a boy, small or otherwise.
But I understand now. The only thing i could think of before was the barber thought the NT was referring the the hair on the floor, and maybe .... Sweeney Todd-style.. Bob Peters had somehow been scattered , in bits, across the floor amongst the hair. ..
That sounds a little bit disturbing. I'm pleased it's just about .. Hang on, your version isn't much less disturbing. Especially if I had a peter of my own. I might have nightmares tonight!! [emoji33]

I have never been a little boy either, but there were boys at my school.
Also, I had 6 male first cousins.

OK----"Make a Spectrum joke from any joke of your choosing..." is open-ended.
The freedom makes it difficult. Changing a story that follows a clearly defined format is easier.
To wit....all those "Why did the aspie cross the road?" alterations.

What if a proper name is imposed for the aspie character?
How about calling the aspie character...Sheldon?
The format is still open.

Here goes:

What type of gum does Sheldon prefer?

aspergum

Comments welcome.

To summarize, the idea in this thread is to Make a Spectrum Oriented Joke, from any joke of your choice,
with the stipulation that the autistic or aspie character be named Sheldon.

Last edited:
Ok thwn, I'll have a go.

Why did Sheldon cross the road ?

To catch the bus to work because Leonard refused to drive Sheldon to work due to Sheldon's annoying characteristics. :D

From pun of the day:
An aspie goes to a psychiatrist. "Doc, I keep having these alternating recurring dreams. First I'm a teepee, then I'm a wigwam, then I'm a teepee, then I'm a wigwam. It's driving me crazy. What's wrong with me?"

The doctor replies, "It's very simple. You're two tents."

I learn one thing today.
Never tell a girlfriend with Asperger's, "I'm so hungry I could eat a scabby horse".

Although, I can't fault her resourcefulness. :D

New Threads

Top Bottom