• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Maintaining peace of mind in the face unfairness and frustration

Au Naturel

Au Naturel
When the world goes crazy on me, I have two ways I cope. One is my demon. I stop caring what other people think. If anything I get in their face about whatever is bothering them.

You got a problem with me? It's your problem, not mine.

I have short-circuited what was about to become a full-blown panic attack that way. It is incredibly freeing because having nothing left to lose is a form of freedom. But it can be problematic. It can cause you trouble beyond the issue at hand. Not a good strategy in a vulnerable position if the other person has a lot of power over you.

There's another tool I use, philosophy. Specifically the philosophy of stoicism. Stoicism was first fully articulated by a "love-sick queer teenager" by the name of Marcus Aurelius. You see the same concepts enunciated in Zen Buddhism. You see it in the works of atheist Albert Camus and the Jewish Viktor Frankl. You see it in the psychological theory of Radical Acceptance.

One short summary of it is the "Serenity Prayer."

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Much of the time one can shorten that down to, "It is what it is. Oh well."

The Stoic Antidote to Frustration: Marcus Aurelius on How to Keep Your Mental Composure and Emotional Equanimity When People Let You Down

"The vast majority of our mental, emotional, and spiritual suffering comes from the violent collision between our expectations and reality. As we dust ourselves off amid the rubble, bruised and indignant, we further pain ourselves with the exertion of staggering emotional energy on outrage at how reality dared defy what we demanded of it.

"The remedy, of course, is not to bend the reality of an impartial universe to our will. The remedy is to calibrate our expectations — a remedy that might feel far too pragmatic to be within reach in the heat of the collision-moment, but also one with profound poetic undertones once put into practice."
Or as they would say in Radical Acceptance:

Pain is unavoidable Suffering is optional.

When the world goes crazy on me, I have two ways I cope. One is my demon. I stop caring what other people think. If anything I get in their face about whatever is bothering them.

You got a problem with me? It's your problem, not mine.

I have short-circuited what was about to become a full-blown panic attack that way. It is incredibly freeing because having nothing left to lose is a form of freedom. But it can be problematic. It can cause you trouble beyond the issue at hand. Not a good strategy in a vulnerable position if the other person has a lot of power over you.

There's another tool I use, philosophy. Specifically the philosophy of stoicism. Stoicism was first fully articulated by a "love-sick queer teenager" by the name of Marcus Aurelius. You see the same concepts enunciated in Zen Buddhism. You see it in the works of atheist Albert Camus and the Jewish Viktor Frankl. You see it in the psychological theory of Radical Acceptance.

One short summary of it is the "Serenity Prayer."

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Much of the time one can shorten that down to, "It is what it is. Oh well."

The Stoic Antidote to Frustration: Marcus Aurelius on How to Keep Your Mental Composure and Emotional Equanimity When People Let You Down

"The vast majority of our mental, emotional, and spiritual suffering comes from the violent collision between our expectations and reality. As we dust ourselves off amid the rubble, bruised and indignant, we further pain ourselves with the exertion of staggering emotional energy on outrage at how reality dared defy what we demanded of it.

"The remedy, of course, is not to bend the reality of an impartial universe to our will. The remedy is to calibrate our expectations — a remedy that might feel far too pragmatic to be within reach in the heat of the collision-moment, but also one with profound poetic undertones once put into practice."
Or as they would say in Radical Acceptance:

Pain is unavoidable Suffering is optional.

It is what it is

I like the "Free Shrugs" shirts myself. I really try not to take anything personally anymore. With fair to midland results. I also keep to myself as much as possible.

Another saying I like is (Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one and they all stink). :)

If possible, try not to let things effect you to the point of anger or frustration, everything is temporary and eventually passes with time.

Nothing takes the place of having the basics down first. A safe place, good sleep, people who are not beating you up or bullying you, clean environment and relatively decent food. And those things are not a given. Only if those are taken care of can a person move into working on things like control of thoughts and emotions. Homeless people are absolutely shredded. Work with a few and you can see positive thinking and mental health fly right out the window till they are treated like human beings. HOUSING FIRST initiatives are crucial.

I’m simple. Since this is of course family friendly, I’ll leave it at two words second one is “it”.

Works for me most of the time, I did not cause it and I cannot control it. So...well, blank it

New Threads

Top Bottom