• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

MAD and MRR, RIP

SteveNomad

Two magazines that were widely distributed during the 20th Century have mostly discontinued their appearance as new paper magazines, MAD MAGAZINE, the home of Alfred E. Neuman, that large-sized comic book/magazine...and MAXIMUM ROCK N ROLL, the newsprint-printed punk rock fanzine...professional fanzine/" prozine ".
To be precise, the regular magazine Mad " is switching to reprints only, no new material (Or possibly very little new - There comment on this has differed). " Maximum Rock N Roll ", meanwhile, will or already has discontinued it's regular paper magazine and will switch to an online version.
The kast new Mad is on the stands now, I haven't kept track of MRR. You can find longer stories on both discontinuations, I can't link.
I imagine I'm not the only one here who bought and read either!:grinning: Especially Mad.

MAD magazine was never published in the UK but my local newsagent used to buy in random packs of import magazines & books. I lapped up every drop of MAD that I could. I loved their movie parodies. I heard of their demise a few months back and was tremendously saddened by it.
"What me worry?"
Nope, but I'll miss you Alfred.

...When was this period you bought MAD??How old are you?
In the past, under the original publisher/business founder William M. Gaines, I have read that Mad liscenced foreigneditions, with some reprinted American content and some locally produced, but I guess not the UK. I have read of that pattern of American comics (+ magazines in general?) landing in Britain on a " packages that filled spaces in Transatlantic shipping " level, somewhat randomly...one issue would appear but the next would not?.I think? Did these sold-to-Britan copies sell for a somewhat lower retail price than if they had been priced in Britain based on a literal currency exchange of $ to f, rather than being ' bargain bin ' castoffs, as I guess they were?
The " new " Mad will only be sold through subscriptions and through direct market comic book stores, not " newsstand/neesagent " venues. With the emphasis on reprints, I suppose they will be doing a lot of reprints if deceased Mad old-timers Don Martin and Dave Berg...not as topically inclined as much of their material - though Berg could be: I wonder if they'll reprint old Nixon-era strips about long hair, the " Generation Gap ", and protest signs!!!!!:D Not to mention campus protests:mad:...........
Another less topical Mad old-timer, Sergio Aragones, was still with them in the last new issue:oops:...........

I'm 49 and the newsagent in question was my local until I was 14, so 1984. I managed to pick up a few issues since and have managed to get digital copies sometimes in recent years. Pricewise I seem to remember buying it for the cover price but in sterling, i.e. if the cover price was 50¢ I would pay 50pence so technically a higher price at the exchange rates of the time. Plenty of marvel & DC superhero comics turned up in the same shop via the same method too, but they weren't of interest to me.

New Threads

Top Bottom