• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

LSD drug treatment for ASD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timmy1

Hello,

What effects would LSD have on a person with ASD?.

Outcomes from:
  • "good trip"

So the person has ASD, and then takes LSD.

Reason?:
Well, people who have used LSD do indeed say that they are different after taking it.
And OF COURSE it is not to be taken lightly, LSD is extremely extremely powerful, and when used incorrectly can make you worse.

The question is, if a person with ASD that was given LSD (a high enough dosage) UNDER PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL SUPERVISION , resulting in good trip, in fact a excellent trip because being supervised and acted by the medical professional, would the person with ASD have changed after the experience?. Would the person be more open,etc?.

I say this because, some people with depression for example, have taken LSD under supervision by a professional, (as a therapy), and they said that they have completely changed from being depressed into this new person that does not fear,feel depressed,etc and they said they're a new person (and many times with different people).

And, lets be open here; we're talking about someone with real ASD, real LSD under supervision and training a real medical professional. (So in a room, the LSD is given, and the medical professional helps give the person with LSD the calm,etc resulting in a good trip.)

Recap:

• A person with ASD takes LSD (a dosage above moderate, that results in long lasting effects)
  • Done under the supervision and help of a medical professional
  • It is only done like once for example, and or one time that results in long lasting effects
  • The person with ASD would of course be examined before doing it to make sure all the nuts and screws are together (meaning: someone with real ASD, and not someone with a personality disorder <- I'm NOT saying they are related or anything, but that sometimes someone may be misdiagnosed with ASD instead of BPD for example, or someone with both,etc.
  • The main reason is to see what LONG LASTING effects it has on the person with LSD (nothing to do with short term).

May you please give your view and input on this. And is there anyone with ASD that has taken LSD and what are the results?.

Thank You.

Probably the same as anyone else. Impossible to determine.
Hi,

OK, thank you but its about the "Long Lasting" effects.
As in, if the person with ASD had a high enough dosage and had a good experience, resulting in them after the experience being "changed" for the good, as in they are a new person.

Hi,

OK, thank you but its about the "Long Lasting" effects.
As in, if the person with ASD had a high enough dosage and had a good experience, resulting in them after the experience being "changed" for the good, as in they are a new person.

I highly doubt any scientific research has been done to provide reliable data on that particular issue given a number of legal ramifications regarding controlled substances. Dr. Timothy Leary has published a great deal on the subject, but not pertinent to autism spectrum disorder that I know of. Of course Dr. Leary wasn't exactly held in the highest esteem by his peers either.

Most clinical research done on LSD was conducted in a time frame when Dr. Aspergers' research in particular was not formally recognized by the medical community.

You could poll autistic people who have taken acid for a prolonged period of time, but there wouldn't likely be any measure of any real reliability over your results.

Last edited:

I stand corrected. I also see that Dr. Fisher died in 2012. Looks like the bulk of his research was in the 50s and 60s, as was Dr. Timothy Leary. And the US government who later took quite a public pounding over their LSD "experiments". I get the impression that research of LSD on autistic children hasn't been done since the mid 70s.

It still appears to be a very tightly controlled (FDA/DEA) area of schedule I research where making broad conclusions would be precarious at best given all the governmental restrictions associated with LSD research in particular. I understand some of the scientific community is very unhappy about this given the stance of the government hasn't changed over several years.

IMO under such circumstances I just don't think there's enough information to make an informed decision along such lines. Of course in the case of any substance controlled or not, there is no guarantee of how you might react to it as opposed to others. Whether in the short term or the long term. I've come full-circle on this.

Last edited:
I know that substances like Ketamine and psilocibyn have been studied recently when it comes to certain mental illnesses (depression seems to be the most common).

Speaking from my own, personal, purely anecdotal experience, I have taken psychedelic mushrooms twice. Like LSD, shrooms inhibit whatever part of the brain it is that gives us our "sense of self"---if you will, a state of "Nirvana" where I felt I was no longer a separate entity from the world that surrounded me, which I suppose might have reduced many of my autistic tendencies---I lost my aversion to physical contact, for example, and any awkwardness I usually feel disappeared. Unfortunately, the aftereffects lasted only a day or so; and with mushrooms, the brain develops a tolerance for them so quickly that you really can't do them more than once a month (one of the reasons it's one of the least dangerous, and certainly least addictive, of illicit substances). I've wanted to try LSD for quite a while, but I don't have the connections I used to.

My advice, if you are truly curious, is to just go ahead and try it. Find someone to monitor you during your trip, make sure the conditions are highly controlled, have ready access for a phone in the (unlikely) event that you would need emergency services; and see what comes of it. I highly doubt psychedelics are a good long-term solution for alleviating the more undesirable elements of ASD, though.

Good God! I'm already so screwed up trying to figute out how to be "normal" I don't need to "trip" on anything.

Oh, I would like to be able to legally try medical marijuana. I am in constant pain from fibromyalgia, a little arthritis and a just plain beat up body after decades or being a nurse, a SHORT nurse, and constantly lifting and transferring patients and nursing home residents. Three herniated discs and a nasty fracture to my foot. I just plain hurt! I have heard some people say pot helps them deal with chronic pain and I would like to give it a try. However, I don't want to smoke it and I definitely don't need to get the munchies. Finally, I am not about to risk breaking the law. If I ever visited a state with leaglized medical marijuana I would give it a try.

I used LSD when I was younger. Also shrooms. Had one bad shroom trip where I fell asleep, and my consciousness got flipped so the dream seemed like I was awake and the real world seemed like a dream. I was crazy, crazy out of it. I remember discovering the next day that I had wet myself.

The rest of the time I enjoyed it, especially accompanied with cannabis (particularly useful during the comedown, which involved eight hours of having passed the peak but being totally unable to sleep--until I figured out I could knock myself out with the smoke). I especially liked the "warm glow" feeling, and I experienced some pretty wild tripping and perspective shifts. But nothing lasting.

That being said--I wouldn't recommend it. If you're so inclined, it's an interesting thing to experience, but it's vital, I'd say, to go in as a willing participant. Fear and sadness are not good when you're tripping.

I've experienced depression for most of my life, and most of my drug use was because I hardly ever felt good, and I just wanted to feel something else. I can see that now.

Hello,

What effects would LSD have on a person with ASD?.

Outcomes from:
  • "good trip"

So the person has ASD, and then takes LSD.

Reason?:
Well, people who have used LSD do indeed say that they are different after taking it.
And OF COURSE it is not to be taken lightly, LSD is extremely extremely powerful, and when used incorrectly can make you worse.

The question is, if a person with ASD that was given LSD (a high enough dosage) UNDER PROFESSIONAL MEDICAL SUPERVISION , resulting in good trip, in fact a excellent trip because being supervised and acted by the medical professional, would the person with ASD have changed after the experience?. Would the person be more open,etc?.

I say this because, some people with depression for example, have taken LSD under supervision by a professional, (as a therapy), and they said that they have completely changed from being depressed into this new person that does not fear,feel depressed,etc and they said they're a new person (and many times with different people).

And, lets be open here; we're talking about someone with real ASD, real LSD under supervision and training a real medical professional. (So in a room, the LSD is given, and the medical professional helps give the person with LSD the calm,etc resulting in a good trip.)

Recap:

• A person with ASD takes LSD (a dosage above moderate, that results in long lasting effects)
  • Done under the supervision and help of a medical professional
  • It is only done like once for example, and or one time that results in long lasting effects
  • The person with ASD would of course be examined before doing it to make sure all the nuts and screws are together (meaning: someone with real ASD, and not someone with a personality disorder <- I'm NOT saying they are related or anything, but that sometimes someone may be misdiagnosed with ASD instead of BPD for example, or someone with both,etc.
  • The main reason is to see what LONG LASTING effects it has on the person with LSD (nothing to do with short term).

May you please give your view and input on this. And is there anyone with ASD that has taken LSD and what are the results?.

Thank You.
Having ASD, and more experience with LSD than I care to admit, I fail to see any benefit, especially long term. Also, a medical professional would not have the understanding of what effect LSD would have on an individual, let alone combined with ASD. Remember that the definition of professional is "Someone Who Gets Paid For What They Do". This does not make one an expert.
You are also as likely to have a bad trip as a good one. This is not something that can be controlled, it comes from within. My experience was always pleasurable, but not so for all of my friends, and I would not wish what they went through on anyone.
Smoking weed is one thing, but LSD is the Godzilla of drug use. Be Very Careful!

My take would have to be along what Peace said...there are too many unknowns alongside the known factors for using LSD...things that are grown would seem a much safer route to take as there would be no way to ever know what made up a drop or tab of acid was made of if found on the street... having witnessed the chemical processes involved in making crystal methamphetamine it would make me wonder what the outcome would be if making lysergic diethylamide acid went wrong...I have seen the process for making it using Foster's beer and have never thought it was a good idea to even make it myself,let alone try street stuff again...if it a mind expanding drug is a choice to try,consider mushrooms that are natural occurring and the trip usually ends inside a couple hours.

I'm inclined to agree with Nitro - You need to be really, really careful to know precisely what it is you are getting, if indeed you decide to go through with this idea. Mushrooms would probably indeed be a safer alternative, and you can learn how to recognize the good ones from the bad.

If you do decide to try this, I will repeat what I said earlier---have somebody on hand to be with you the entire time, someone who can call emergency services if anything goes wrong.

I don't think it's really fair to assume that LSD is having any effect on the symptoms of Asperger's persay, as quite a few others have already hinted at. That said I don't think I'd ever try it. It sounds like substances like LSD have such variable effects on people that if you for any reason suspect you wouldn't be cool taking it you should stay far far away. It's not like Marijuana, which its troubles like any drug but sounds more comparable to OTC medication than a street drug in terms of side effects.
I'd also be concerned about getting something that isn't entirely what it claims to be since it is unregulated.

I had taken LSD when I was in college in the early 70s. I did have a life changing experience with it at one point. I became more assertive and confident. I stopped being a crowd follower so much and became somewhat more independent.

These are all relative terms however. By most people's standards I still lack confidence and I am far from being assertive, but I am much better than I was before.

I have taken my fair share of LSD, enjoyed it usually, but DO NOT recommend it for people with ASD. Bad trips are no fun at all, nor is the feelings of depression I felt the next day or two afterwards. You never know how LSD will affect you. It is the most powerful drug in the world ( look it up). Also, you never really know what you are getting: arsenic, battery acid and other toxic substances have been passed off as LSD in the past. Looking back I have realized that taking LSD was one of the biggest mistakes of my life. It made me feel more alienated, paranoid and self conscious than I already was. Take it from an old school ASD , leave that stuff alone. As beautiful as a trip might sound, it can get pretty damn ugly. Why risk it? You only get one brain in this life, take care of it. Try to find beauty and wonder in life itself, it holds so much. Us ASD' s have to look out for each other, please listen to my advice. :)

I wouldn't even touch LSD. I had enough bad trips on Prozac, Effexor, Elavil, Celexa, and Viibryd.

Never teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time, and annoys the pig.

But LSD removes your ego. It opens your mind. It tells about yourself.

Maybe people don't want to use it because they want their ego? they use their ego to function which is crazy...

But LSD removes your ego. It opens your mind. It tells about yourself.

Any drug whether legal or otherwise, does not necessarily work uniformly on everyone. You must accept this premise.

Being an illegal controlled substance all you can do is to try it or refrain from doing so, without any preconceived notions or guarantees and accept whatever consequences there may be as a result. That's all there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom