• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Love on the Spectrum US . . .

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
I will have a Zoom session with this show (or something similar). Not sure what to think about it. Am I out of my mind?

Probably.

If I actually get chosen, I hope it brings me good fortune and I hope I'd be able to represent our community well.

This is only the first step. So, I'm probably a long ways away from possibly being chosen.

I saw love on the spectrum and while they did try (and it was at least better than undateables) but it did fall into the same tropes. Examples being: showing awkward moments too close, moments of infantalsation, and most....unexplainable: social skills classes. They thought autistic people who were gonna date each other to mask for other autistic people!!?!?!?! Some dates went much better after they cast aside what they had "learned". I wish you luck with this show. Know that you won't control the edit but just try to do your best!

Well Undateables is in the title- you expect it to directly make fun of people. Love on the Spectrum was more quality, but I felt like it did seem to accentuate negatives and a sense of lower class rather than a good variety. I think it might be that some people doing well might not be applying to show either, or maybe they were going for one thing in Australia and they might try for something else in the US. US is also bigger than Australia. So, maybe we'll see. Hopefully when I do make mistakes, they show that I learn well from them and that we are very capable people.

My very emotional personality, directness, somewhat social rigidity, but charm and uniqueness just might be good for TV. Hopefully, it's good for our community too if so.

I wouldn't do it. Do you really want your face up there in front of everyone? They edit these kinds of shows to make you look especially disabled or inept. Or they use it to make the audience laugh.

Think twice before plastering your image everywhere. Especially if it has to do with a condition you have as the centerpiece of the program.

I've been on TV and the radio. In interviews, they have edited what I've said to fit a predetermined narrative by the network, and it made me look different than how I really was or what I was trying to convey. Even though they didn't parody me or disrespect me, and my friends really enjoyed it, I was still humiliated.

I wouldn't do it. Do you really want your face up there in front of everyone? They edit these kinds of shows to make you look especially disabled or inept. Or they use it to make the audience laugh.

Think twice before plastering your image everywhere. Especially if it has to do with a condition you have as the centerpiece of the program.

I've been on TV and the radio. In interviews, they have edited what I've said to fit a predetermined narrative by the network, and it made me look different than how I really was or what I was trying to convey. Even though they didn't parody me or disrespect me, and my friends really enjoyed it, I was still humiliated.

For my job, I had to do something like this on a smaller scale a few times. One was a video taped interview, and the other was an audio phone call interview. The firm has an image to attempt to keep up- so they attempt to provide some protection. When it's for the public, it seems like a good image is kept up. In contexts where it is not for the public, the story can be different depending on whose point of view you have.

I'm in a position in my life where I feel like some of my past experiences may help me deal with the stress and pressures that could come with being on such a show if they are actually interested.

I guess the hope is that it brings more positive opportunities for me in the long run if so. I'm sure they would be temporary.

There was a female in my area who got some recognition once a movie on her life was put out. Of course, that was different because it wasn't a reality show type deal, but rather some local people who wanted to portray her life and provide more normalism to how we are generally portrayed.

There are apparently hundreds of people being interviewed, and they have to choose like 10.

New Threads

Top Bottom