1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Love On the Spectrum Series

Discussion in 'Movies, Music & Television' started by menander, Aug 1, 2020.

1. menander

menander Well-Known Member

Did anyone see the series? Did you relate to anyone? How did you feel about it?

2. tree

tree Blue/Green Staff Member V.I.P Member

3. mw2530

mw2530 Well-Known Member

I hadn't heard of it until I saw this post. Seems like it may have some potential and be worth checking out. I know all too well the struggles of dating as an aspie or primarily the struggles of even getting a date.

4. Juliettaa

Juliettaa Black Sheep. Society of One. V.I.P Member

Love on the Spectrum came up on my recommended list on Netflix. I watched less than 2 minutes of the first episode and turned it off.

It reminded me of 'The Undateables' which was a series aired in the UK some years ago that 'took the mickey/made fun of' people with health problems and/or a learning disability who were deemed undateable.

The Undateables

I'll keep my eye on this thread to see if I've got the wrong impression.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Kalinychta

Kalinychta Well-Known Member

My hackles raised when I read about the show, for the same reasons you note here. Sounds like just another televised autism “freak show” to me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. menander

menander Well-Known Member

Yes, it was discouraging. Only one couple (who were together before) we together. Even other aspies didn't want to be with the aspies......Made me sad. I did, though, see a lot of aspies who really accepted their own autism. That was the bright part. But again, it was like they were oblivious to how others see them. I don't know about you all, but I had that mocked, beat, bullied and humiliated out of me LONG AGO. I have a very clear picture of how others see me...........