• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lost my ability to cry?

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I was hoping I would be able to cry when I talked to my therapist today but it didn’t happen. My eyes got a little watery and my voice sounded troubled but I wanted to fully let it all out. Why didn’t it happen? When I had my TMS treatments, I was able to do so but when they stopped, it’s like the part of my brain that induces crying has “closed up”.

I don't know, I rarely cry at all, can only remember a handful of times I have ever cried...

Not sure if that's of much use for this discussion, me saying that...

But my hunch is that crying needs to spontaneous, it's not something you can force out

If I may ask, what would crying during your session have done for the process?

@Markness
Have you started taking some new medication since the TMS treatments stopped?

Can't Cry? Here's Why

Do I understand correctly that you are saying you were unhappy
and expected to express this feeling with the release of tears, but
the tears didn't well up and fall from your eyes?

You're not saying you couldn't experience the feelings of sadness, right?

I was hoping I would be able to cry when I talked to my therapist today but it didn’t happen. My eyes got a little watery and my voice sounded troubled but I wanted to fully let it all out. Why didn’t it happen? When I had my TMS treatments, I was able to do so but when they stopped, it’s like the part of my brain that induces crying has “closed up”.
You can cry for different reasons I do it for panic but I'm now so dehydrated my body tries to give me a message to limit it ,mourning seems to be the time when you cry the most ,it's not a computer like the rest of your body you different things for different lengths of time ,expressing your feelings will probably change how much you cry it happens in its time nature has it's own time it's not instant

@Markness
Have you started taking some new medication since the TMS treatments stopped?

Can't Cry? Here's Why

Do I understand correctly that you are saying you were unhappy
and expected to express this feeling with the release of tears, but
the tears didn't well up and fall from your eyes?

You're not saying you couldn't experience the feelings of sadness, right?

I’ve had one of my medications (Celexa) increased since I was struggling to sleep both before and during the TMS. I was also ordered to take Gabapentin after the treatments were finished.

Yes, I was unhappy and wanted the tears to fall from my eyes but they only barely “watered up” like how our eyes can feel in the morning. The article does mention things drying our eyes and I wonder now if my CPAP (I suffer from sleep apnea) has been drying my tear ducts.

Right. I honestly feel a form of sadness every day. I get sad when I have to eat lunch alone while a romantic couple is eating at the table some spaces away from me. I feel sad listening to the music I like because I wanted my life to go in that direction but it didn’t happen. I get sad when I am not invited by co-workers for their game nights even though I honestly don’t like most of those people since they make my job unenjoyable. I get sad shopping for groceries alone while I see families shopping together. I even get sad when I talk to my friends at the comic book store and a romantic couple walks in.

If I may ask, what would crying during your session have done for the process?

It would’ve taken all the bad pressure in my head out.

I found that my antidepressant inhibited my ability to cry. For 20 years. When I retired I was able to move off it and recovered certain levels of emotional experience I had missed. Crying produces endorphins and is your body's natural way to deal with sadness.

Don't get me wrong. The Prozac was absolutely necessary to function all those years. Sometimes you have to sacrifice a bit of one good to achieve a greater good.

In my experience, crying is triggered involuntarily by extreme emotions. It just happens as a reaction. It's not so much about wanting to or not wanting to. That's my experience.

I have difficulty crying even when I feel I want to since my Mom died.
Somewhere I remember reading something called silent tears.
When you are really hurting so bad emotionally, the silent tears are supposed to be the worst.
It means the grief you are feeling is so strong it does somehow cut of the actual physical tears
even though you feel your eyes need to cry.
silentears.jpg

I rarely cry...maybe a couple times a year. (I have an easier time crying over happy/funny things than sad or upsetting things.) I honestly haven't been able to cry in a long time, not sure why. I do have dry eye syndrome, but in this case, I don't think that's it (actually the dry eye syndrome makes me cry sometimes but it's because my eyes start burning and has nothing to do with emotions).

I can feel the pressure in my eyes, like I want to cry, but I just can't. I've been this way since I was a teenager at least.

New Threads

Top Bottom