• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Loss of motivation while on antidepressants

Darwin

V.I.P Member
I have tried sertraline (Zoloft) and venlafaxine XR (Effexor), and both of them have that unbearable side effect that is loss of interest in literally every thing. Some people call it a “zombie mode.” It is like I have lost the ability to feel anything. It is different than depression in that there is no sadness, but, physically and psychologically, I feel I have little to no motivation to do anything at all.

Surprisingly, it seems it is not mentioned among the side effects in the drug information pamphlet, but many people on the internet wrote about it.

I want to know if any of you has experienced that particular side effect with antidepressants. Does anyone know if there is any antidepressant that does not have it? Bupropion?

I was going to mention bupropion, before I saw your question about it. They do say it is more "activating" than many of the others. My husband had agitation and even trembling on it, though, and had to stop.

It's pretty common to not be satisfied with the first antidepressant you are on. I disliked the zombie effect of trazodone; liked the activating effect of nortriptyline, but it has cardiac side effects; did okay on Effexor; and am best on Cymbalta (duloxetine).

Some doctors want you to give it a few weeks, and may want to change your dose, before switching to a different drug. But you as the patient have every right to say "I want off this drug now, please give me a taper down schedule."

I was depressed and lacked interest in anything and Bupropion helped with it very much! Much more energy and motivation.

I tried Sertraline. Didn't do much for me tbh. Then Citralopram... zombie mode? Didn't have a chance to even get hungry! I basically slept for 18 hours a day, couldn't stay awake for more than 2 hours a time. Got even more depressed obviously so in the bin with them.

Edit: Messed my brain up for 6 months though after only taking them for a month. Now I have insomnia!

I've been lucky to never to have to take anti depressants. It's something that I'd research before taking.

I've been taking Effexor for several years now and I just don't feel very motivated to do much of anything or I have to push myself harder to do them, including things I used to be very motivated to sticking with to completion, like writing a story and adding illustrations. While I'm glad that I don't feel as much anxiety and take my time with certain activities, I also feel like I've gotten too lazy, or I don't even bother trying anymore since I've either failed or only had very temporary success, or I've just been disappointed too many times in my younger life and can't allow myself to get hopeful.

Antidepressants basically just make you emotionally numb to both good and bad things. You just can't win.

I've been taking Effexor for several years now and I just don't feel very motivated to do much of anything or I have to push myself harder to do them, including things I used to be very motivated to sticking with to completion, like writing a story and adding illustrations. While I'm glad that I don't feel as much anxiety and take my time with certain activities, I also feel like I've gotten too lazy, or I don't even bother trying anymore since I've either failed or only had very temporary success, or I've just been disappointed too many times in my younger life and can't allow myself to get hopeful.

Antidepressants basically just make you emotionally numb to both good and bad things. You just can't win.

Unfortunately, this seems to be true. They make you numb to all feelings.
But there are different classes of antidepressants. I think, the numbing effect is caused by serotonin. (Serotonin increases Gamma Aminobutyric Acid neurotransmission, which inhibits nerve signals in the brain. This effect is similar to that of anxiolytics but the mechanism is different.) That’s probably why Effexor, which increases serotonin and norepinephrine levels in the brain, and Zoloft, which increases serotonin levels, cause that numbing effect.

I hear that Bupropion doesn’t cause it. It works differently, by increasing dopamine levels (instead of serotonin). I haven’t tried it yet, but will give it a try soon. Currently, I take a very little dose (the least possible) of Zoloft. It helps with my anxiety and depression, and it still makes me numb, but I still have some motivation and feelings.

You could try Bupropion, or reduce the dose. (There could be a “sweet spot.”) Might help. But you should work on that with your psychiatrist. Wish you good luck!

The medication that has been most beneficial for my depression is Adderall, with Bupropion second. Lithium has helped tremendously with depression as well. There are many ways to help depression, more than just SSRIs and more than just anti-depressants.

I have been on antidepressants on and off since 15years old and then did 1.5years of CBT and read a book by Dorothy Rowe ‘depression a way out of your prison’ for me this was helpful, depression still loans but sometimes I have strategies to fight it, currently antidepressants free and finding support here helpful, good luck with this complex problem.

I found SSRI's made me feel like I was on cheap ecstasy pills. Constantly wired, difficulty sleeping, gurning all the time. I tried one which made me sleep and eat all the time and I gained 2 stone in a 12 weeks.

How long have you been on the pills. Perhaps the dose or your body will adjust to them? I guess it can take time to find the right med for you. I personally stopped trying them.

Ed

Unfortunately, this seems to be true. They make you numb to all feelings.
But there are different classes of antidepressants. I think, the numbing effect is caused by serotonin. (Serotonin increases Gamma Aminobutyric Acid neurotransmission, which inhibits nerve signals in the brain. This effect is similar to that of anxiolytics but the mechanism is different.) That’s probably why Effexor, which increases serotonin and norepinephrine levels in the brain, and Zoloft, which increases serotonin levels, cause that numbing effect.

I hear that Bupropion doesn’t cause it. It works differently, by increasing dopamine levels (instead of serotonin). I haven’t tried it yet, but will give it a try soon. Currently, I take a very little dose (the least possible) of Zoloft. It helps with my anxiety and depression, and it still makes me numb, but I still have some motivation and feelings.

You could try Bupropion, or reduce the dose. (There could be a “sweet spot.”) Might help. But you should work on that with your psychiatrist. Wish you good luck!

I have not been able to see a psychiatrist for a few years now, and I have no desire to see one anyway. The mental health care where I live is virtually dead. All the psychiatrists have left to work in the States or where ever so they'll make more money, since that's all they care about. I hate them. And 98% of the many different medications these quacks put me on in the past made my life a living hell. I don't need to be put on anything new that will make my life even worse.

New Threads

Top Bottom