• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Losing my voice.

Wolfnox

V.I.P Member
So i have had a fear for years. That if i stopped talking. I would not be able to again. Im not someone who talks a lot anyway. But i feel like this coild really happen. Any advice?

Hmm.. It's all (obviously) psychological. The fear of not being able to talk would produce the feeling that you can't anymore and it would become more difficult as the fear grows even bigger. I don't speak a lot either and sometimes wonder if I would stop completely one day.
It's a little bit like selective mutism, which I had when I was in my mid-late teens. I felt I couldn't talk properly and as a result, just didn't. Everything just locked up and I'd freeze on the spot.

But there are ways around it, if the fear became so strong in you, that, you started to see it affect your actual speech, you could seek therapy. Or a more practical solution, find situations or people who you feel more comfortable speaking to and who wouldn't judge you if you had a few moments of silence. A no pressure type of scenario. The way that worked for me to overcome the selective mutism was at first write what I wanted to say down as a text conversation - even in person. With a little time and patience, the fear would lessen and you'd find your voice to say those things instead of write them.

There are ways out of it if it ever happened. It's a process of untangling the fear one strand at a time and finding the true cause of it all.

Is it a fear or a wish? The way you phrase it is that you're not that into chitchat anyway. Perhaps if you feel that way, you may wish to explore a more meditative way of life? I am considering this as I cannot cope with the mundane & superficial lives we are made to accept. I won't name anything, don't 100% believe in anything myself but better than being mute. Enlightenment helps ☺

Im more of a doer then a speaker. Tell me why and how to do something. Make progress lets really work toward making or building something. Talk to give information or useful advice. Not just idle chatter.

I firstly asked a question of you, not 'idle chatter'. That it not something I wished to do! Useful advice may be offered but maybe I have none. I am not the answer. Your perception of the answer is.

Apologizes. I wasn't referring to you i meant in life. With other people. Very sorry should have been clearer.

What makes you think it could happen to you even though it can't?

And what would happen if it did? What would your life be like? Ruined?

How long would you have to stop talking for it to possibly happen?

How long do you usually go without talking?

I was non verbal for the longest as a kid. I spoke threw hand signals and drawings. Something my dad hated. He needs to hear people speak. Thats why i can now. His instance i speak or talk. As for now. Well i feel like its possible to enter a state of mind. Where i forget how to speak. Even though this hasnt happen the fear remains.

That is a new one to me. I can't find it listed under phobias so far & there are phobias for just about everything. Maybe you have invented a new one. But it sounds like there is a second component to your issue. Not just fear of losing the ability to talk, but not liking 'idle' talk in the first place. Not sure what's going on there but I think there is little ground for worry in the first case. Without some external stimulus like freezing up in front of an audience, or being hit by something (like a morningstar) in the head it is just not going to happen. It's like riding a bike.

I forgot my own language. The true story of real life mutism.

I haven't talked for years and typed online in english and started having trouble with romanian, i started thinking in english and having to translate and remember words in romanian. I used english words when i couldnt remember, some knew what it meant, others didn't.

I have worried that could happen to me. Though i have had no succes studying other languages. Is it due to my aspergers?

I have worried that could happen to me. Though i have had no succes studying other languages. Is it due to my aspergers?

Which one, the worry, or the lack of success for other languages?
You were good enough to learn your own.

Each autistic is very different. You might be hyper anxious or hyperfocusing on [negative] fears.

From what I read it's not uncommon for autistics to be all or nothing. When they enjoy something they can be very invested in it, but if they aren't interested then it is very hard to do something.

Maybe both. Though admittedly not knowing another language makes that fear irrelevant. Thanks though.

It helps to try to make online friends from your location to chat with or read in your own language. Thing is, Americans and English men break the Camel's back with the amount of information they posess online.

The vocal chords are muscle and can be strained or damaged but can also be strengthened.

Singers and actors do more strengthening exercises than most.
(don't HAVE to be either to use their warm up or strengthening exercises)

Those having experienced Stroke or some damage to the brain can; with intensive physio',
Learn to talk again.

If you're worried about losing the ability to construct sentences; as opposed to equipment failure,

Practice?

Exactly like you're doing here, on site. Keep on thinking and typing it out.

Personally I've been through phases where I've had nothing to say, verbally.

I did notice after 4-5 days I tended to do a lot of throat clearing and my voice came out 'breathy' or a little 'gravel-y' (sp?)
I assumed that was because I hadn't used my vocal chords in almost a week.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom