• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Losing a limb

Brony714

My own evil twin...
(Wasn't sure where to put this, since it doesn't really pertain to autism spectrum/Aspergers...)

I'm writing this from my bed at a rehab hospital, where I'm currently recovering from having my left leg amputated below the knee. I got a blister on my left foot that got infected(partially due to my own stupidity), to the point where amputation of the foot became necessary. Fortunately, I have enough stump left below the knee for a prosthetic limb, which I do plan on getting in the near future. I actually can't wait to get my prosthetic, so I can get back on my feet(so to speak). But until then, I see myself getting around by wheelchair. Right now, I'm dealing with phantom limb syndrome, which is the fact that part of my brain has yet to grasp the fact that I no longer have a left foot, and I still feel it on occasion. It's a situation I'm still adjusting to, both mentally and physically. Don't know if I'll ever dance again, but than again, I was never exactly Fred Astaire, Gene Kelly, or John Travolta to begin with.

Wow, sorry to hear that man... And I thought having my meniscus and ACL removed was an inconvenience.. I hope you recover and get your prosthetic asap. Make sure it's absolutely comfortable, otherwise it will be a nightmare. I have an extremely uncomfortable knee brace and it's all I can think about sometimes. Anyways sorry to hear again.

Sending virtual hugs and teddy bears. l feel l know you because sometimes we just don't take care of business and then it nabs us medically. Keep us updated on your progress, we all wish to support your new journey.

I am sorry that happened to you. You display a very practical and positive attitude towards your situation which I find inspiring.

So sorry to hear about this.
It does sound like you have a positive outlook though and that should help.
Wish you the best of healings.

@Brony714

Are you diabetic?

@tree, they said that the cause was a large blister that got infected and then presumably the infection entered the bloodstream and the foot likely became gangrenous. I've had huge blisters on my feet before, and the cause is not necessarily diabetes. Diabetic neuropathy can cause large infected blistering, but it can happen without neuropathy.

Wishing you all the best for a speedy recovery from the amputation and with your rehab. With your positive and pragmatic outlook, hopefully you won't be reliant on a wheelchair for long and you'll soon be up and about dancing again in no time.

It sounds as though you have a healthy outlook to how this occurred, accepting your own part in the reasons for the amputation. That should serve you well. Unfortunately a lot of people adopt a 'blame other people' mentality and most times, that doesn't bode well for a positive recovery.

Good luck for the future. And please, look after your other foot and leg. I've just read that you have diabetes so self care with this condition is really important :)

@tree @Brony714

I just wanted to make sure that @tree wasn't coming to an incorrect conclusion. Since @Brony714 has said that they do indeed have diabetes, it certainly is possible that they had a neuropathy-related infection. it is common for severe neuropathy to result in limb amputation.

Agree with @Juliettaa that diabetes requires close attention to self-care. A friend of my aunt and uncle's oldest son recently died of renal failure, he had diabetes and he really didn't care about looking after it. He was only 43. I also have it and fortunately I am far better than I was a few years ago via close attention to my metabolic health. I came thisclose to entering a graveyard spiral of liver failure, but fortunately caught it before it became irreversible. I also had the beginnings of neuropathy, which I also was able to get a handle on. Diabetes can lead to multiple organ failure, and some people wind up spending their days in dialysis clinics getting their blood cleaned via machine.

Im sorry your going through this, its very scary to lose a limb, however at least it will save your life, sacrifices must be made, youll get good drugs and be doped up too and feel good and get a prostetic leg, ladies might look up to you as a war hero,they love that! You can get a gf in the process too. Im just trying to be possitive about it.Stay possitive and keep fighting your a war hero in my eyes.You can take advantage and say you lost your leg fighting at a war ladies dig that! I remember at the hospital under Anastasia i felt so good before surgury i flirted with the nurses, my gf visited me in recovery, i mistook her as a beautiful angel and flirted with her too, she brought me food to eat i didnt know it was her and said shes too beautiful to be my gf im not good enough and. She kissed me aww. I had trouble eating at first i was too goofy but ate a little, i fell back to sleep and my gf waited till i woke up,i had my appetite back and ate it all and hugged her.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom