• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking to lose some weight over the next year.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I used to keep myself around 220lbs, not bad since I am 6’3”. But since COVID shut down the gyms in my state, my belly significantly increased due to my still eating like I was going to the gym and adding beer on top of it. Now I am 290, and most of that weight is right in my belly and chest area.

I cannot keep living like this. I am putting my mortality on the line, and boredom is my excuse to do such an absurd thing.

So, after New Year’s Eve, I will start a diet heavy on veggies and lean proteins, lower on carbs and fats, and I already decided to cut out the alcohol before then since I came to the conclusion that I have developed a problem with binge drinking. Just cutting out the beer will decrease my caloric intake is quite noticeably and significantly, since beer is essentially liquid carbs.

I also will refrain from weed for a very long while, even if I do not intend to return to booze again.

A part of me wants to be melodramatic and go on a month long fast to punish myself; but that’s just crazy talk right there.

Good luck. You can do it.

I lost about 35 pounds over a year and the only way that worked for me was counting calories using a Fitbit app and attaining my walking (10,000 steps or more) goal each day. I don't think I could have done it otherwise. Plus I liked keeping track of the numbers, logging the numbers (calories), calculating calories in the food I'd eat, etc.

Same, I've gained weight as well. Not only from the past holiday where I tend to stuff myself and eat caloric rich foods, but also from being bored and baking a good deal. Usually I begin to gain weight when it becomes colder and it's less inviting to be outside, and cycling season ends. Then I lose the weight over the spring and summer.

It takes a while for me to begin using a treadmill again, sometimes weeks. I'll drink a large glass of water before every meal, as a result I'll eat less. Mixing psyllium in orange juice once a day, also makes you feel full. And using smaller plates for meals also helps.

Cut out sugar and actually do not cut out fat, because fat burns and sugar does not. And sugar stops fat from burning.

I have a stationary bike, which I exercise on each day.

I found something of great interest not so long ago, that if one is has a lot of weight to lose, they will lose it faster, than if they are slimmer and this is because, they already are carrying weight.

Try intermitant fasting. Eat a good hearty breakfast and actually do not cut protein out. I have one fried egg, which is done in a drizzle of peanut oil and one slice of homemade bread. Then, at around 10 to 11, I will eat an apple and then, between 12 and 2, will have a lunch and then, dinner between 5 and 6. So, during those eating times, I have crisps and dark chocolate and between times, nothing and find that I have no need to snack, which is a huge weight gainer.

You are on the right path, to suggest gradual loss of weight, because many lose weight fast and wonder why they put it back on again! First, our body needs time to adjust to the new regime and second, it is for life; not just enough to lose weight and go back to eating rubbish again.

Also, think: moderation. So, one does not have to cut out drinking beer completely, but say, treat yourself to one at the end of the week.

I do not see much happening with my body and was weighed not long ago and am overweight for my height, but I wore a size 12/14 skirt yesterday and it kept slipping down, so that tells me that I am losing weight. I do not weigh myself, because it can be so disheartening, when you are doing your best and the scales are mocking you! Anyway, I have been a steady size 16/18, and used to be a size 10 (sorry, uk size). But, I would be quite happy to be a size 12.

My belly is not as huge as it used to be and due to my cardio exercises, my body is a lot more versatile ( for want of a better word).

I lead a fairly sadentary life. I am either at my computer or cross stitching, although I do get up a lot, to do things around the house. So, half sadentary lol

It's so hot here all you can do is go to a long mall or 2 and walk, which I did yesterday. mall walking is good.

Diet without exercise is a less than optimal strategy. In this COVID environment, get some weights and work out at home. But the real key to weight loss is lots of cardiovascular training.

Cut your caloric intake a little bit at a time. (Of course this means tracking what you consume closely.) Takes time for your stomach to shrink. Takes time for your metabolism to adjust. Sudden big cuts in calories just put your body into starvation mode and you end up feeling tired all the time but losing less weight. Stay balanced between carbs, protein and fats. They are all essential for your health. Sure, by cutting one out entirely you'll lose weight. That's because you are making yourself sick and sick people lose weight.

Exercising every day burns a few extra calories every day. It adds up over time. Walking at 2 MPH for an hour on level ground should burn 250 calories for someone your size. Some of my more demanding hikes can burn upward of 3,500 calories but that doesn't happen very often. I wish it did but my arthritic knees wouldn't take it.

Once your metabolism gets kicked up due to a workout, it tends to stay that way for a while. It makes you less likely to burn muscle mass if you are actually using the muscles. And exercise is a known mood enhancer and stress reducer.

My experience is that exercise also reduces my appetite, especially long duration exercise. Other people may contest it but when I'm working out - and when I'm physically tired after - food is the last thing on my mind. I do not feel a need to pig out later.

Last edited:
I have maintained a very consistent weight throughout my life, apart from the couple of times I was quite severely underweight due to anxiety. Here's what works for me:

For me, it's about lifestyle choices and awareness of what I'm eating and its calorific value. I don't eat a lot of red meat, avoid fried food or fast food, don't snack between meals (I have an occasional treat or glass of wine, but make it part of a meal). I eat twice a day from a medium sized plate, one third carbs, one third protein, then one third vegetables. If I feel hungry, I have some more vegetables or salad - that's the one food I don't limit. I don't eat much meat at all and get a lot of my protein from beans, pulses and yogurt or kefir, and a small amount of cheese. Also, it helps to eat early on and to avoid eating late at night.

upload_2020-12-30_10-6-19.png

"Exercise is a celebration of what the body can do, not a punishment for what you ate." — Kevin Ng | Yoga + Mindfulness

I used to keep myself around 220lbs, not bad since I am 6’3”. But since COVID shut down the gyms in my state, my belly significantly increased due to my still eating like I was going to the gym and adding beer on top of it. Now I am 290, and most of that weight is right in my belly and chest area.

I cannot keep living like this. I am putting my mortality on the line, and boredom is my excuse to do such an absurd thing.

So, after New Year’s Eve, I will start a diet heavy on veggies and lean proteins, lower on carbs and fats, and I already decided to cut out the alcohol before then since I came to the conclusion that I have developed a problem with binge drinking. Just cutting out the beer will decrease my caloric intake is quite noticeably and significantly, since beer is essentially liquid carbs.

I also will refrain from weed for a very long while, even if I do not intend to return to booze again.

A part of me wants to be melodramatic and go on a month long fast to punish myself; but that’s just crazy talk right there.

I know someone who lost his belly and he had a huge amount of skin. So l advised him your skin will tighten naturally but it takes up to a year. If you gain and lose all your life, your skin won't tighten up after years of doing this. So if you lose your belly , you will contend with some loose belly skin but eventually it will change

It has been pointed out to me exactly where most of my empty calories have been coming from. The two most obvious offenders here are beer and Ruffles potato chips. I have been inhaling embarrassingly obscene amounts of both of those things over the last few months. A 12 pack of beer can last me two days, a large bag of chips can last me three days. In any case, I will start by cutting out those two things and replacing them with healthier alternatives. I consume these things primarily out of boredom and isolation, so perhaps focusing on improving that situation is also essential to sticking to a diet.

a large bag of chips can last me three days

Love chips as well. On occasion I'll buy a small bag of salt and vinegar, which makes my mouth go somewhat numb:) You can still have these things, in small amounts. If you take them away what's the fun in that? It does not have to be extreme dieting, removing all the things you enjoy, often you can set yourself up for failure by doing so. Smaller amounts of things can work.

Also another suggestion, try not to eat anything three to four hours before bedtime.

How bout this? It might be the most realistic.

Eat the same exact amount you do now. But eat baked food instead of fried, eat fruit instead of sweets, lay off the refined carbs, and eat more whole grains, and try to have at least 10 grams of protein with every meal.

For exercise to start, take a walk after dinner. Once you're in the routine of eating healthier, add more exercise.

How bout this? It might be the most realistic.

Eat the same exact amount you do now. But eat baked food instead of fried, eat fruit instead of sweets, lay off the refined carbs, and eat more whole grains, and try to have at least 10 grams of protein with every meal.

For exercise to start, take a walk after dinner. Once you're in the routine of eating healthier, add more exercise.

Well, realistically speaking, most of my empty calories came from beer, and I have developed a serious drinking problem. No more alcohol for me is the only way for me to go now.

As an aspie, do you have rigid routine? It might help if you get onto a routine and make it an Aspie Routine. There are so many who eat the same thing every single day, do the same thing every day, etc......and the offshoot to that is that nothing changes in terms of the body! It may help. I hope you find a lot of advice here. :)

Cutting sugar intake helped me. I made it to where I would want a certain sweet. Be it soft drink or candy. Until I got it I wouldn't have any other sweet.
Pounds fell off.

I will be joining the weight loss club, I gained 25 pounds while I was on chemo this past year and can’t wait to get rid of it. This is my first time ever needing to worry about my weight, so I don’t really know where to begin, just going with the basic trying to replace junk with healthier options and increasing exercise for now. The most I’d ever weighed in my life before was 115 pounds, now I’m 128, and I hate the change in my appearance, mostly looking for my body shape to get back to something that looks “normal” to me rather than looking at numbers on the scale.

New Threads

Top Bottom