• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for new ways to ease symptoms

William Weiler

Ad Astra
I was never diagnosed but my son was, so when I looked into it I saw that I had the symptoms. I then pursued solutions. I initially did meetup.com since I know of it, and I found and attended a few of these. In one meetup, it was a casual consultant who offered coping strategies and support. She herself was Autistic. I attended a meetup for Entrepreneurs with ADHD. One was serially successful. He echoed the intense workouts I do for being okay inside and relaxed. Another was concerned about losing his girlfriend which I find is a common theme, even for most entrepreneur's (time management). There was a solution of smoking pot which I did not agree with. The classic techniques for neurotypicals of spirituality, some kind of religion or practice, and meditation, works beautifully for me. Also, the discipline to just be, and not think of what to do or the future - self-acceptance, self-love and self-forgiveness. I filled my apartment with plants and pets. I also bought the new RGB Wifi lights, so I can set them on relax and dim them. I bought teddy bears and beanie babies for my son, and some of the inspirational items at Jo-Anns. I bought some oak plywood and had it pre-cut. I then covered it clear coat and use it as desktops, for a serene wood-like atmosphere. This has helped greatly. Also, the saltwater aquarium really helps. (It has to be lit correctly to bring out the soothing).

So I will keep at it.

All good things to help you get some calm. One thing I've also found is that accepting yourself can go a very long way. Personally, I don't want to fit into the societal mould. I find it destructive, wasteful, illusory, and deceitful among many other things. Accepting myself has also helped me accept my son better (whom is also on the spectrum).

I ran into the fear of others, especially parents, that their child would be outcast. I was never outcast, but I had one best friend my whole life. I was also popular once in junior high, because of my sense of humor. But others can't believe I didn't like it, and that I much preferred my quiet life. Neurotypicals can suffer from a lack of empathy, but then so can we. It is human, I fall into that trap quite often.

We can get outside societies rules because we are not part of it. Then the illusions become real to us. People in it, cannot see this. They offer sympathy that I don't have what they have, yet I don't because it results in unhappiness in me, and everyone. But they are programmed, they cannot see outside of it. It is best to leave them alone and not try and change them, but be supportive when someone reaches out. But be careful, many people just want a quick fix, they don't want to change.

Just got off the phone. A co-worker needed something, he was my best friend, as soon as answered he pulled away for a deadline. I won't hear from him for weeks likely. Then another co-worker called for a question, she had to get away as well. It is stark how there isn't a minute to spare to talk to someone, or maintain any friendships. I have resisted all attempts to consume my lunch hour, and will continue. I know I can't change them or make them see the value of it. This is creative work, very informal, and relationship based, so trust is essential. They are almost all good people. So I won't take any action besides leaving for another position.

Sleeping with a weighted blanket has been great for me. And I almost didn't get it, after not reading much about adults using them. My wife got it for me for my birthday after hearing me talk about them.

I got one, a month ago at a meetup the host (therapist) said to get it. Me too, totally on faith. I thought I screwed up like a dozen times. I was told to get 25lbs but the site said 15lbs for my weight. Add to that everyone thought I was nuts. I got the Kickstarter Gravity. It feels like a hug, let alone helps you sleep.

I just did my zoom Happy Hour for work. It was a huge pain getting it going. A lot of people came. It was a huge success. Part of the success is keeping my mouth shut unfortunately, but I was part of. (Glad it is over).

A lot of us don't have the kind of money to buy all those things. I find relaxation with nature journaling. It also helps me connect with the dire straights of our world. I can help when I see a bird that is safe in the habitat I created.

Meditation never worked for me. It made things worse. Teddy bears may help. I did look into indoor plants. Too expensive. Dimmed lights, no radio, helps. Zoom is a nightmare. I can't even stand to think about it anymore.

I was never diagnosed but my son was, so when I looked into it I saw that I had the symptoms. I then pursued solutions. I initially did meetup.com since I know of it, and I found and attended a few of these. In one meetup, it was a casual consultant who offered coping strategies and support. She herself was Autistic. I attended a meetup for Entrepreneurs with ADHD. One was serially successful. He echoed the intense workouts I do for being okay inside and relaxed. Another was concerned about losing his girlfriend which I find is a common theme, even for most entrepreneur's (time management). There was a solution of smoking pot which I did not agree with. The classic techniques for neurotypicals of spirituality, some kind of religion or practice, and meditation, works beautifully for me. Also, the discipline to just be, and not think of what to do or the future - self-acceptance, self-love and self-forgiveness. I filled my apartment with plants and pets. I also bought the new RGB Wifi lights, so I can set them on relax and dim them. I bought teddy bears and beanie babies for my son, and some of the inspirational items at Jo-Anns. I bought some oak plywood and had it pre-cut. I then covered it clear coat and use it as desktops, for a serene wood-like atmosphere. This has helped greatly. Also, the saltwater aquarium really helps. (It has to be lit correctly to bring out the soothing).

So I will keep at it.

Lots of adults realise they may be on the spectrum when they notice the symptoms in their offspring.
I never knew what meetup.com was, assumed it was a dating site :)
It's good you found an Autistic who you could get advice from on there.
It's good some kind of religion or practice, and meditation, works beautifully for me.
Plants and pets are very healing.
Are you interested in pursuing a diagnosis.
It seems you got benefit out of your meetup.com

OkRad - you have a good point. But I also get outside and go for walks in nature whenever I can. I also may start journaling. I am trying to identify different plants. I have been on disability or poor most my life. I was often completely broke, and had to get free food. It is only in the last 2yrs that I have had any stability. I distinctly remember wanted to buy a hotdog at a vendor in a city, but I had no cash. And when I did have a small amount of cash, I would need it for coffee, because of the headaches when I ran out.

New Threads

Top Bottom