• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for help

Shunya

Hello,

My name is Victor, I'm 25 and I have recently started thinking that I fall into the spectrum. I've been struggling with my lack of social abilities for quite some time, and recently I became more aware of the importance of my problems at communicating my feelings and understanding everyone else's feelings. I have been treating my social problems with a therapist for almost three years now, but when we have talked about a diagnosis or the possibility of neurodiversity he always said that he did not want to apply labels on people.

I have always been a really quiet person, what they typically call an introvert. For me it has always been hard to make close friends but I never felt the need to do so: since I was very young I started picking an interested in online games so when I was home (I used to be home a lot...) I was always on the computer chatting with people I had met online in forums or playing games. For me this was never a problem, during my daily life in school, university and nowadays my job as an engineer I talk to people daily and I have no problem in maintaining conversations, but it is really hard to go further and start a close friendship with people outside of that and make plans with them.

Until I was 20 or so I felt pretty incomplete, probable alone, but it felt good talking to people, even if it was online. I ended up meeting someone who I felt closer too and we started dating. She lived 300 km away from me so the first couple years we only saw each other during some weekends or weeks that we could spend together, maybe once a month. But we talked everyday, although we had some arguments that I never really understood why for things that looked really small or basic to me, like maybe I said something that unconsciously offended her, or that I had trouble taking decisions about what to do in our relationship. During the weekends or times that we met I felt very happy and I thought I was able to express her my love. Two years later she got offered a job in my city and moved here to be closer with me, although I was still studying back then. She did not have much money and had to stay at a shared room, and to this day I still regret not asking my parents if she could stay with us. I have never been able to ask my parents about things that are important to me, it scares me.

When I finished my degree I was supposed to go abroad to study a masters, but I did not want to leave her so instead I started working and we moved together shortly after that. She really wanted to move out of the shared room and live with me, but it was impossible for me to make a decision. That time she ended up looking for an apartment without my help, all alone, and I did not decide to move with her until a couple days she had already moved in. In the end it was a really good decision and I treasure those memories in my head as the best days I have ever had, I felt that was the life I was aiming for. We had adopted two lovely kittens and I was taking care of them as I was working from home (pandemic times).

Some time passed and I did not notice it but I stopped showing her love the same way as before. We had more space as before, not a small bedroom anymore, so I felt it was harder to sleep closer to her, to cuddle her, and I slowly stopped showing her my affection with hugs or kisses. At the same time I had started doing a masters degree in an online program while also working full time, so I spent a lot of my free time studying. Our work schedules were also pretty different and we were only together at night when she came home (10pm til sleep 12pm), and we only had Sundays as a day to be together, which many times we went to visit my parents although she did not like it.

A month ago, after 5 years together, she said she wanted to be alone and that we should break up. For some reason this came totally unexpected to me, I thought we loved each other and that we were living a happy life. We had been recently looking for a new apartment as well, so it was totally unexpected to me. After talking with her about it for a couple weeks I noticed the world I saw and the one she saw were different: I thought we were good and loving each other, but upon thinking about it I could not remember when I hugged or kissed her for last time. We were having sex once every two weeks because I was not looking for it, despite wanting it, I felt like she was tired many nights and preferred to watch a film or just sleep. She said I was really immature for many things I had done during our relationship (all the decisions that it took me too long to make), and she felt alone, so we broke up and I went to my parents, where I am right now.

Most people have always been aware of my social distancing issues, but when I recently spoke to a coworker about my problems for expressing my feelings and understanding my ex's feelings she suggested that I might fall in the spectrum, and upon reading about it I think I might: The alexithymia (problems expressing feelings) became more clear with how much I thought about my relationship with my ex, and even with my parents. I cannot remember a single time where I have told my mother that I love her that was not the typical "me too". I have understood that the "lack of observation" that my father always complained about me is not true, I'm always observing everything, but I pay attention to different things. It was always weird for me that I'm not able to memorize a single song lyric, not even one. I can listen to the same song in a loop for three days and not be able to remember a single lyric or even the song's name afterwards.

I'm feeling quite angry and sad now that I'm realizing things that I was not aware of before, I have not been able to overcome my past relationship yet and I really wish I could have been aware of these things before in order to not mess up. I decided to join this forum to be able to talk about my experience and lot from other people's experiences, as well as to feel a bit less alone, as I have no friends who I could talk right now and my ex was the only person I was comfortable talking with, being honest, I feel a bit lost in life right now. Thanks you for reading and I'm up for chatting if somebody wants to.

Hello & welcome.
...but when we have talked about a diagnosis or the possibility of neurodiversity he always said that he did not want to apply labels on people.
He was dodging the issue. Confirmation of that diagnosis, if correct, is freeing.
(It is common for such to only consider ASD2 & 3 [not ASD1] to be real autism.) Instead of being an underachieving NT, you can learn how to up your game while operating under a different, but equally viable, neurology. A "no labels" therapist will keep trying to rehabilitate you to NT standards.

If you are in the USA, see...

The inability to express feelings comes with the territory. I learned to be introspective and to communicate better with those who's understanding of me is important. I still do not do that consistently and it causes some friction with my spouse. I had to work to understand what my spouse needs at times and be active in response. Still she says that there are times I do not fully advocate for myself. Relationships are constant negotiation.

Last edited:
Hello, welcome! :)

I hope you find the support you're looking for. My therapist also insists that I'm not autistic which I don't believe since I have a formal diagnosis.

Have you met my friend @VictorR ? You two share the same first name :)

I decided to join this forum to be able to talk about my experience and lot from other people's experiences, as well as to feel a bit less alone, as I have no friends who I could talk right now and my ex was the only person I was comfortable talking with, being honest, I feel a bit lost in life right now.
I think you found the right place to try to do this. In my experience, people communicate differently here. Among other things, we are all in our comfort zone of writing, and this format of communication allows for plenty of time to understand each other‘s words.

There are also many people here who have had relationship challenges due to communication issues. For my part, a relationship has proven to be too complicated for me and my ability to participate in one, so there are some of those types of people here too.

I hope you find the understanding and companionship you seek, and I have high hopes you can gain that here.

you sound like one of us, one thing in particular got my attention, I have listened to music since the sixties, I do to this day does not listen to the lyrics. I'm into the melodies, so if a statement is being made it's going over my head
before I got married, I focused on my education, then found a girlfriend, I'm big on planning, first kid two years after marriage sounds like you are juggling to many things at once, not giving her the time she wants with you.

I've been watching u-tube videos on music lately. the moderator goes over the lyrics surprised at the political commentary, lost love i really never took notice of.

Welcome @Shunya and thank you @Luca for the introduction!

Labels are interesting. When correctly and properly given (and especially to an adult who has the freedom to do what they wish with it, and to interpret it themselves), it can be empowering. While I occasionally referred to myself as an aspie or on the spectrum during my discovery phase, it was not until after my formal diagnosis that I was fully comfortable in doing so, and after having read a number of memoirs, blogs, and forum posts, to participate in the discourse and share my experiences and thoughts as well.

My main concerns with labels is when they're given to children who may not be in a position (or given respect by adults) to explain things themselves, and so they may end up getting boxed into what someone else perceives as the meaning of a label, which could both be stigmatizing and infantilizing. My first label, when I was 6 or 7, was being identified by a teacher as being "shy" and that I just needed to talk to my peers more. I was one of those kids that would watch others play, but be hesitant to ask to join in. Of course, in hindsight, shyness wouldn't really be correct in that I wasn't so much insecure, or worried about rejection - it was more so that I was oblivious to the social norm that it's okay to approach someone you didn't know, introduce yourself, and ask to join in on something.

To address one of your points, during the diagnosis stage (which of course it's up to you if you wish to pursue or not - self-diagnosis is quite accepted here), there were times where I was sad when I looked back and realized, for example, that there were some implied offers of friendship that I had missed out on. But I felt less alone and less sad when I read others' accounts (the first being Liane Holliday Willey's Pretending to Be Normal) and realized that it's not just me, and that there are many others "in the same boat" so to say.

Being part of this community has also been quite helpful. While our experiences and backgrounds are quite different, and sometimes there are things where there may be significant differences of opinion, we're generally quite good at being able to put those aside and instead find the commonalities that we can share in, successes to celebrate, and doing our best to support each other.

And so with that, best wishes on your journey of self-discovery and see you around. :)

Welcome. It sounds like you'll fit right in.

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your relationship. Relationships are tricky at the best of times and for us it takes quite a bit of learning and adjusting. But it can be done.

Hi and welcome. It's good that you are here, and that you are noticing what has been happening and thinking about what you can do to be happier. Once you acknowledge that autism maybe part of who you are, you can develop strategies to manage some of the issues differently. We are a bit different, especially often in relating and communication, from the norm, but we have strengths too.

Hello,

My name is Victor, I'm 25 and I have recently started thinking that I fall into the spectrum. I've been struggling with my lack of social abilities for quite some time, and recently I became more aware of the importance of my problems at communicating my feelings and understanding everyone else's feelings. I have been treating my social problems with a therapist for almost three years now, but when we have talked about a diagnosis or the possibility of neurodiversity he always said that he did not want to apply labels on people.

I have always been a really quiet person, what they typically call an introvert. For me it has always been hard to make close friends but I never felt the need to do so: since I was very young I started picking an interested in online games so when I was home (I used to be home a lot...) I was always on the computer chatting with people I had met online in forums or playing games. For me this was never a problem, during my daily life in school, university and nowadays my job as an engineer I talk to people daily and I have no problem in maintaining conversations, but it is really hard to go further and start a close friendship with people outside of that and make plans with them.

Until I was 20 or so I felt pretty incomplete, probable alone, but it felt good talking to people, even if it was online. I ended up meeting someone who I felt closer too and we started dating. She lived 300 km away from me so the first couple years we only saw each other during some weekends or weeks that we could spend together, maybe once a month. But we talked everyday, although we had some arguments that I never really understood why for things that looked really small or basic to me, like maybe I said something that unconsciously offended her, or that I had trouble taking decisions about what to do in our relationship. During the weekends or times that we met I felt very happy and I thought I was able to express her my love. Two years later she got offered a job in my city and moved here to be closer with me, although I was still studying back then. She did not have much money and had to stay at a shared room, and to this day I still regret not asking my parents if she could stay with us. I have never been able to ask my parents about things that are important to me, it scares me.

When I finished my degree I was supposed to go abroad to study a masters, but I did not want to leave her so instead I started working and we moved together shortly after that. She really wanted to move out of the shared room and live with me, but it was impossible for me to make a decision. That time she ended up looking for an apartment without my help, all alone, and I did not decide to move with her until a couple days she had already moved in. In the end it was a really good decision and I treasure those memories in my head as the best days I have ever had, I felt that was the life I was aiming for. We had adopted two lovely kittens and I was taking care of them as I was working from home (pandemic times).

Some time passed and I did not notice it but I stopped showing her love the same way as before. We had more space as before, not a small bedroom anymore, so I felt it was harder to sleep closer to her, to cuddle her, and I slowly stopped showing her my affection with hugs or kisses. At the same time I had started doing a masters degree in an online program while also working full time, so I spent a lot of my free time studying. Our work schedules were also pretty different and we were only together at night when she came home (10pm til sleep 12pm), and we only had Sundays as a day to be together, which many times we went to visit my parents although she did not like it.

A month ago, after 5 years together, she said she wanted to be alone and that we should break up. For some reason this came totally unexpected to me, I thought we loved each other and that we were living a happy life. We had been recently looking for a new apartment as well, so it was totally unexpected to me. After talking with her about it for a couple weeks I noticed the world I saw and the one she saw were different: I thought we were good and loving each other, but upon thinking about it I could not remember when I hugged or kissed her for last time. We were having sex once every two weeks because I was not looking for it, despite wanting it, I felt like she was tired many nights and preferred to watch a film or just sleep. She said I was really immature for many things I had done during our relationship (all the decisions that it took me too long to make), and she felt alone, so we broke up and I went to my parents, where I am right now.

Most people have always been aware of my social distancing issues, but when I recently spoke to a coworker about my problems for expressing my feelings and understanding my ex's feelings she suggested that I might fall in the spectrum, and upon reading about it I think I might: The alexithymia (problems expressing feelings) became more clear with how much I thought about my relationship with my ex, and even with my parents. I cannot remember a single time where I have told my mother that I love her that was not the typical "me too". I have understood that the "lack of observation" that my father always complained about me is not true, I'm always observing everything, but I pay attention to different things. It was always weird for me that I'm not able to memorize a single song lyric, not even one. I can listen to the same song in a loop for three days and not be able to remember a single lyric or even the song's name afterwards.

I'm feeling quite angry and sad now that I'm realizing things that I was not aware of before, I have not been able to overcome my past relationship yet and I really wish I could have been aware of these things before in order to not **** up. I decided to join this forum to be able to talk about my experience and lot from other people's experiences, as well as to feel a bit less alone, as I have no friends who I could talk right now and my ex was the only person I was comfortable talking with, being honest, I feel a bit lost in life right now. Thanks you for reading and I'm up for chatting if somebody wants to.
You sound a lot like me. I was diagnosed at 60, and never suspected my problems were autism until a non-professional recognized it and brought it up. For 40 years I was always told "shy" and "social anxiety" along with depression, and a dozen therapists, counselors, psychiatrists , and psychologists not making the connection between the two. It was only after my diagnosis (with no help from anybody) that things came together.

FIND ANOTHER THERAPIST!!! Only by recognizing the specifics of who and what you are, can you make progress. This idiocy of not putting labels of people is pure and utter (multiple expletives deleted). You are what you are, and you are NOT mainstream. I wasted 40 YEARS of my life because my autism was not recognized. I urge you not to do the same. We are a community here, unlike out there in society at large, and we help and support each other. I can think of several people here who have improved tremendously in the time since I joined because of this mutual support.

I had everything going against me being formally diagnosed and yet, finally I did get my diagnosis.

It is easier for a male to get a diagnosis.

I have experienced being told that there is no way I am on the spectrum, which truly is disheartening and I am not strong enough mentally, to argue the point, so always felt disappointed and alone.

However, one time, after discussing with my husband on trying to get to the right place to be diagnosed, I did a sort of role play with myself and imagined the questions that would be thrown at me, by my therapist and so glad I did, because he actually did throw the exact questions I expected and thus, I was able to give him enough of a good answer for him to say: ok, well, I will refer you then and it went from there.

I had to do many tests and they all came out that I am on the spectum and no one now says anything negative to me, because I can say with a firm voice that I do have aspergers.

It is best to have an advocate with you.

That is a rude awaking to be going along thinking one thing, but then something else actually happened. Five years is along time to be involved.

At most she could have voiced her concerns about lack of physical touch, and her feelings of feeling insignificant. It also sounds like you had a horrendous schedule so that scheduling relationship needs might have been a tad arduous.

Perhaps you can take what you learned and be more present in the next relationship. Relationships are really building up on layers of knowledge for a lot of us. I learned so much from a guy on the spectrum. I realized the simplest of things like cooking together made me smile and laugh. And how much l loved giving giant bear hugs. Perhaps you can think of the things you really enjoyed in this relationship. And uncertainty and indecisiveness is quite common even in neurotypical relationships.

Hello. Seemingly small things can mean a lot to another person in a relationship, empathy is there to help us understand another point of view that doesn't necessarily match ours, but I understand it can be unnatural and hard.

Part of growing up and being a good partner and an independent human is being able to confront your parents for the well-being of your relationship and not hold an image just for their sake. At least, I have always admired the people who could do that and had a not so great opinion of the ones who were sucking up to their folks and society. Believe me, there are many who at least start out as that.

I can relate to the inability to make close friends, it's mostly the social chit-chat which can also be annoying and useless, but sometimes makes me happy as I settle for little because I can't really afford more.

It seems like you made really meaningful memories with this girl. Everyone deserves to experience the true happiness that comes with genuine love.

"She said I was really immature for many things I had done during our relationship" - the picture you have painted is one of inexperience, yes, both with your personal life but also the level of dedication she required. Hurtful thing to say, though, she shouldn't of. She's not perfect, either.

"slowly stopped showing her my affection with hugs or kisses" - from my studies on relationships, after the honeymoon phase, it tends to happen, from 5 months to years, but I can't relate to it, because apparently I am one of the uncommon humans who are known to never fall out of love. At this stage the facade falls and people see each other's ugly truths. I am always aware of the ugly truths but I can't judge these until I'm angry or they affect me in negative ways. commonly, most people who see the truth will part, probably because of lack of a personality match.

It seems like your naivity about relationships is a thing of the daily life, you never saw her sorrow regardless of her getting destroyed, tired. I think the whole appartment deal was also too big for the level the relationship was at, and contributed to her deciding you're not mature enough to handle living with her, she doesnt seem to have had so much fun having sex either, because her feelings about the relationship weren't in the right place.

It's sad she gave up but I dont think it couldve been saved. Youre simply not at that level and she doesnt have the patience for yours. The fact youre autistic really doesnt help, it'll be hard for you to understand things as easily, empathize and a whole deal of other things like communication and misinterpreting. It seems like she tried waking you up at some point about the lack of involvement affectively, you were affectively not present and thought she was okay with it. Usually when a woman says she feels alone, it means alone in the relationship, unloved. Obviously she thought she cared and could involve herself much more, and that she could do better than you. Some people can't cope with that, it's very hard on their mental health. Regardless of being autistic, I am one of them.

"It was always weird for me that I'm not able to memorize a single song lyric, not even one." - I'm the same with phone numbers but lyrics I adore.

"I'm feeling quite angry and sad now that I'm realizing things that I was not aware of before," - life burdens some people with things that make it so much harder for them, and nobody really knows it. We have to use the cards we were dealt and make up for the ones we're missing, and it can be a very long process. The fact that you had a girlfriend at all would probably make most autistic males really jealous. It's very tough for our kind to do that, especially in real life. You have come to the right place, to learn how to manage life with such a different mental wiring (and to teach us what you know).

Last edited:
Hello & welcome.

He was dodging the issue. Confirmation of that diagnosis, if correct, is freeing.
(It is common for such to only consider ASD2 & 3 [not ASD1] to be real autism.) Instead of being an underachieving NT, you can learn how to up your game while operating under a different, but equally viable, neurology. A "no labels" therapist will keep trying to rehabilitate you to NT standards.

If you are in the USA, see...
I hope that wouldn't be his mindset. In general the autistic community dislikes labels, but it's worth changing psychologists just in case, if communication with this therapist about the concerns involved and preferences is not likely. Therapists will not do anything you don't want them to, and will adapt to say what helps you more and help you discover it if you want to. At least most decent ones.

The inability to express feelings comes with the territory. I learned to be introspective and to communicate better with those who's understanding of me is important. I still do not do that consistently and it causes some friction with my spouse. I had to work to understand what my spouse needs at times and be active in response. Still she says that there are times I do not fully advocate for myself. Relationships are constant negotiation.
Agreed, with my boyfriend I sometimes have to explain things in different ways for him to understand. He's on the spectrum too, but it can make it harder to communicate with each other because of the understanding too, and quirkiness, we're very unique individuals in a mass of similar people and we don't expect to be anything like the normal people.

Welcome @Shunya and thank you @Luca for the introduction!

Labels are interesting. When correctly and properly given (and especially to an adult who has the freedom to do what they wish with it, and to interpret it themselves), it can be empowering. While I occasionally referred to myself as an aspie or on the spectrum during my discovery phase, it was not until after my formal diagnosis that I was fully comfortable in doing so, and after having read a number of memoirs, blogs, and forum posts, to participate in the discourse and share my experiences and thoughts as well.

My main concerns with labels is when they're given to children who may not be in a position (or given respect by adults) to explain things themselves, and so they may end up getting boxed into what someone else perceives as the meaning of a label, which could both be stigmatizing and infantilizing. My first label, when I was 6 or 7, was being identified by a teacher as being "shy" and that I just needed to talk to my peers more. I was one of those kids that would watch others play, but be hesitant to ask to join in. Of course, in hindsight, shyness wouldn't really be correct in that I wasn't so much insecure, or worried about rejection - it was more so that I was oblivious to the social norm that it's okay to approach someone you didn't know, introduce yourself, and ask to join in on something.

To address one of your points, during the diagnosis stage (which of course it's up to you if you wish to pursue or not - self-diagnosis is quite accepted here), there were times where I was sad when I looked back and realized, for example, that there were some implied offers of friendship that I had missed out on. But I felt less alone and less sad when I read others' accounts (the first being Liane Holliday Willey's Pretending to Be Normal) and realized that it's not just me, and that there are many others "in the same boat" so to say.

Being part of this community has also been quite helpful. While our experiences and backgrounds are quite different, and sometimes there are things where there may be significant differences of opinion, we're generally quite good at being able to put those aside and instead find the commonalities that we can share in, successes to celebrate, and doing our best to support each other.

And so with that, best wishes on your journey of self-discovery and see you around. :)
Much quality in this post, great points. Part of labeling people means taking them as the condition and generalizing them to the traits, but especially in autistic people the traits are very different for individuals, in such an amount that two people can have completely different symptoms to their diagnosis. Such a thing only happens within the autistic spectrum, but similarities happen, and other personality disorders will have similarities more often but still different people.

Nobody wants to be seen as not a person with decisions and own thoughts, but as a conditioned person controlled by their autism to being someone specific to those symptoms. What is spectrum and where does the person begin, will they be labeled as difficult in general also.

Therapists will not do anything you don't want them to, and will adapt to say what helps you more and help you discover it if you want to.
That has not been my experience. I have had quacks declare that
  • only ASD2/3 is autism,
  • autism is only a childhood diagnosis &
  • even they grow out of it in adulthood...!?
They insisted that I should abandon my official Aspergers diagnosis for their preferred (and pharmaceutically lucrative) diagnosis of schizotypal personality disorder.
I hope that wouldn't be his mindset.
If he does not recognize the OP's neurodiversity, what standard of recovery is he shooting for?

New Threads

Top Bottom