• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for answers

Macca

Hi, I'm 50 and just getting used to the idea of being a bit autistic. I have always been interested in why I was different and finally working out for myself that I have Aspergers did make me feel a little relieved. Thing is, I have two small children and am worried about how I am going to support my family now. I'm smart and knowledgable but have struggled in every job I've ever had mainly because poor short term memory, multi tasking problems, clumsiness, issues with authority, zoning out etc etc. Can anyone give me advice about finding and keeping appropriate work?

you should type in AGX Starseed in the member box of the search box ,this member reports news about autism !and there have been different news reports about jobs for autistic people in different countries in the last year

welcome.png

Do you have any skills or talents that you could learn to freelance? Unfortunately issues with authority figures is a big one I could see being problematic. But maybe having a client relationship would be easier? Some will work as a team with you, but some are more bossy. Heck, some will leave everything to you, too, so there's a wide range of people you could wind up working with.

The best advice i could give you is to look into entrepreneurial work. Be your own boss.
Split a page into 3 sections... leave the middle open.
On the left side of a page write a "skills" header. Could include being good with people, good at utilizing psychology,Marketing, Video editing, woodwork, creative writing, baby sitting etc.
On the right side put what you like and what you like to do. Could include watching tv, teaching others, eating, cooking, whatevs.

Once you've done that... start mixing and matching the left column to the right and the right to the left. In the middle is where you should be able to find what you can do for a living while still liking what you do. Can find a way to work within limitations.

New Threads

Top Bottom