• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for advice relating to Autism/Aspergers

buck_rogers

Hi,

I'm a moderator on a forum and also an event organiser. The event is a non-profit convention that also helps raise money for charity, and draws about 1,500 people. It's something that a bunch of us work on in our spare time when not in college or work. Now the event also has a forum and has a member that claims to suffer from autism, Aspergers, depression and is also a transvestite. As with any forum though we have rules in place such being polite and respectful to other members and my main question is in relation to rules on a forum which I'll get to.

This person (I'll call him Alex, not his real name) insists on discussing issues such as suicide, depression, and seeks sympathy from people on his personal life situation. If people do try give Alex advice and it's not something he agree's with he'll throw a tantrum even if it's sincere. Now I agree that discussing things like this is certainly a good thing but I feel it should be discussed in an appropriate place like this forum where I'd imagine you'd take it very seriously and be in position to give the correct answers. The forum I'm a mod on is primarily for people with a shared hobby mainly aimed at mid teens to mid twenties. You see the unfortunate thing is Alex is well know for going into online fits of rage and ranting and has collected a following of haters because of this. Pretty much everybody on our committee has tried talking to Alex and have asked him to try keep our forums for making friends and trying to have fun while posting his more serious topics on other forums where he won't be targeted and will get proper answers. I told him that we'll do anything to help but we're just not equipt to properly deal with some of the issues he brings up. Many of our members are pretty immature and all of them use the forums as a means of making friends, having fun, and discussing their shared hobby and there are many members that get upset at some of the issues he discusses as they have experiences in it also and don't find his comments appropriate. When we try to ignore the situation he posts up offensive words all over the place and insists we help him with all his troubles. He's angry, bitter, and seeks attention and sympathy.

We've tried reasoning with him, expressing sympathy, and even divulging personal experiences and giving advice. He ignores all and says we don't understand him and should be more lenient when it comes to rules because he has a condition and he can't help his angry rants.

We spent nearly a year trying to deal with this, offering countless warnings and temporary bans when he broke the forum rules, and then finally we had enough and issued a permanent ban after warning that we were coming up to a permanent ban.

Now he's gone into a fit of rage and say he will try destroy our event through any means unless we recede the ban. He says we were unjust, and that because of his condition we should be far more lenient (which we were), and also that we need only talk to him when things go wrong. Now he also claims he had a mild panic attack at our last event but didn't inform any of our staff and says that we didn't look after him.

What should I do? Any advice on how I should handle this? I've tried being polite but explaining that the forum rules apply to everyone and if we feel he's changed his ways we'll review the ban. many of our members send us messages of complaints and ask why we won't permanently ban him for his continued behaviour. Are we being too harsh and should I only issue him with temporary bans? While we do care about our members it feels a little too much for us as we're already stressed out from running the event. PM me or message below please

I've gotten about ten plus emails in the last day or so from him but here's an example of his latest; (I've taken any names out)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just to make it quite clear what the issue is here-

You cannot throw out an autistic person for having a minor breakdown or panic attack. While some cope better, for many it's part and parcel with the condition. You don't seem to understand this, but I'm telling you now and anyone with experience will confirm it. To do so is Ableist and this is what can get you in trouble. It would be almost exactly like banning an epileptic person from the con for having a fit and making people feel uncomfortable. Rules do not excuse it. People are simply more aware of conditions like that so won't complain, but it's still not acceptable to treat someone with autism in the same manner.

The fact that I had a panic attack on con grounds and the actions of the mod staff instigated ones only re-affirms the Ableist stance X-Event has taken. It's not about making me completely exempt from the rules. But the fact is that any time I have been in trouble, it's not been due to nastiness or attacking people unprovoked, or general trouble making, but a direct result of my inability to cope with anxiety brought on by my depression and autism. You are punishing me for a condition I have no control over, and that can be dealth with in a much better way.

There is an equality commission here and if I have been mistreated as an autistic person the con will get into trouble the same as if they had mishandled a mentally ill person on-site(which you essentially did with me anyway since none of the staff paid me any heed).

Alex

Hey may be on the autistic spectrum and experiencing true autistic symptoms like frustration and anxiety which is why he throws tantrums to get what he wants. Im sure its a hard thing to deal with, autistic or not.

BUT you cant let him throwing tantrums and rage-fits dominating your choices and actions on the situation. When you give him a punishment it needs to be a solid and consistent punishment. He is not in control of the situation and he needs that fact to be reinforced, that you are the one in charge. Not him.

Another thing. He said this, "You cannot throw out an autistic person for having a minor breakdown or panic attack. While some cope better, for many it's part and parcel with the condition."

That pisses me off. If he is going to learn to function with the people in the world around him he needs to abandon the idea of special treatment. The world is a **** and it doesnt matter who you are or anything about you, adapt or die. I have no idea who this is, Iv never spoke to him, met him, nothing at all. But I have Asperger's and if I even attempted to pull this **** at work or college Id get a sarcastic laugh from a teacher or boss. Did you notice how many times he mentioned that hes an autistic person? Im not accusing him of this, but just the way he says it makes me think that he knows damn well what he's doing is wrong but he's trying to get the entire mod staff on a leash because he believes he deserves special treatment.

Iv met people similar to this in real life and I usually end up getting drunk and finding a dumb excuse to fight them, so forgive me if my emotions influenced my advice on the subject. Long story short, you need to let him know that you're in control and he's a subordinate

Even if his claims are true that he is both autistic and has aspergers... which I actually think is total overkill to express and try to justify such behaviour, I don't think it allows him to "hide" behind his condition.

Yes, I have my share of situations where I don't agree as well (in real life), but in general I'd just avoid those rather than seek attention and expect people to sympathize with me. The same goes for a forum. If I feel people ignore me, treat me bad or whatever their deal is, why am I still around? Apparently I can't connect nor get my sympathies with whatever I'm having, thus I'm inclined to say he's trolling. Especially if he's threatening and raging. Probably that's why I rather search places where I can agree (or even agree to disagree in a sensible manner) with people rather than just visit any place and expect to get this treatment.

Also, if he wants to adress specific issues with others and doesn't agree with those and throws a tantrum... ask him this "what do you expect from other people in this matter?". because clearly he's quite "certain" about what he wants to get out of it, and just seeks more confirmation rather than other views, thoughts and insights.

The best way to handle him is probably to adress that his behaviour isn't tolerated on your forum and that's why he's getting a ban. It has nothing to do with having a condition. If he feels that he needs people to understand him, perhaps he should seek professional help, maybe those will sort out more for him. On a related note; I can't state "I have this condition where I have the right to punch anyone in the face if they disagree"... and that's pretty much the same. He's allowed to discuss his matters, but forums are not the place to rage on that much. If he threatens to disturb your event, you could as well report him to the authorities as he actually threatens someone/something... and even by means of online threatening, that's considered serious. if he disturbs the event, there will be more severe repercussions for him I guess as the authorities have a legal ground to arrest him and well... get him sorted out. He shouldn't be naive and accept anything, but he should put more thought in what he actually wants instead of throwing a fit, because that doesn't get him anywhere... so either this guy is mildly confused or just blatantly trolling and masking it by saying he is "special". I'm a bit with Dolby on this one, because he clearly is quite certain that he's autistic and therefore knows what he does wrong yet wants a free-pass because of it.

For me personally it's quite simple. If your forum have very clear and specific rules (and from what you have said, it seems that it does), then anyone, with disability or not, should be removed from the forum if they don't follow the rules. The owners of the forum are the ones who create the rules in order for it to serve its purposes and entertain the targeted audience and if someone goes against them, it is the owners right to remove the person. Now as for the Autism issue, there're certain limits of what behavior can be accepted and what can't, it is a difficult question and it primarily depends on people who have to deal with that behavior. I think, the member simply does not understand why you can't address his needs, and it is not your responsibility to explain it to him. From what you have said, you will most likely not going to succeed. It's nobody's fault really. If you were more rational and not very sensitive folks you would probably just remove him and forgot about it :) but it seems that you do want to help the guy. I think there're only a few things you could do: provide him with links to forums, resources and possibly some sort of a local organizations related to his issues and remove him stating that rules are there for a reason and they have to be followed.

One more thing - This guy is aware of his inability to cope, he is aware how he reacts during the panic attacks, so it is his responsibility to prevent any possible complications caused by his negative behavior.

We spent nearly a year trying to deal with this, offering countless warnings and temporary bans when he broke the forum rules, and then finally we had enough and issued a permanent ban after warning that we were coming up to a permanent ban.

You have given him far too many chances and it seems he will just keep coming back for more. It seems that he is using his conditions as an excuse to get special treatment and break the rules of your forum.

The forum I'm a mod on is primarily for people with a shared hobby mainly aimed at mid teens to mid twenties.

One of the characteristics of Autism/Aspergers is that those on the spectrum have special interests. If you take that away from them then naturally they will be angry and upset. However, you did give him multiple warnings and if that was me and I knew that I was close to a ban, I would have tried my best to stay on the forum. He may very well be having a hard time in his life and he may genuinely have Autism/Aspergers. People who are on the spectrum can have their bad days and throw tantrums but doing it constantly and being threatening is a step too far in my opinion.

What should I do? Any advice on how I should handle this? I've tried being polite but explaining that the forum rules apply to everyone and if we feel he's changed his ways we'll review the ban. many of our members send us messages of complaints and ask why we won't permanently ban him for his continued behaviour. Are we being too harsh and should I only issue him with temporary bans? While we do care about our members it feels a little too much for us as we're already stressed out from running the event. PM me or message below please

I've gotten about ten plus emails in the last day or so from him but here's an example of his latest; (I've taken any names out)

It's a difficult situation since it seems that he really wants to be a part of the forum and is constantly sending you emails about it - indicating that he won't stop. Perhaps you could talk to him about it and lay all of the cards on the table - maybe come to some sort of an agreement or something. Maybe you could place him under moderation whereby all of his posts will need to be approved before going public. That way he wouldn't be able to cause arguments or insult other members. Can other members not add him to their ignore list on your forum? If all of that fails and he won't take any advice then just ban him and move on for good. Let him know that it's final this time and block him from pestering you with emails.

We've tried reasoning with him, expressing sympathy, and even divulging personal experiences and giving advice. He ignores all and says we don't understand him and should be more lenient when it comes to rules because he has a condition and he can't help his angry rants.

Point him to a support forum for people with Autism, though not Aspies Central. Aspies Central is mainly a hangout for those on the spectrum and while we try to help each other, we are not specifically support orientated. There are other forums out there that specialize in support and would be better suited to help him. If he really can't cope with his conditions then perhaps it is time he got counseling or seen a psychologist. By the way, how does he know for sure that he has Autism/Aspergers? Did he get a diagnosis from a psychologist?

At the end of the day there's only so much you can do before you have to stop.

Thanks guys for the advice and support. I feel really bad for him but Alex has been a little too famous for getting into online fights on 4chan and other forums and it's not looking like it's not going to change anytime soon unless he gets help and counselling.

It sounds like he is using his condition to manipulate others, that he knows what he is doing and doesn't care if it gives the rest of us on the spectrum a bad name. Just because someone is on the spectrum doesn't get a free pass.

And what is this Ableist BS anyway? I have a sister who has a physical handicap and if anyone should be whining about Ableism it should be her. Instead she went out and got her Ph.D. Yes, it was hard for her, but she is DAMN proud of it and will let you know in a heartbeat that she is. What has this guy done except cause trouble?

You've given him far more chances than a lot of people would. You've been very explicit about the rules. He is choosing to break them and insisting he get a free pass because of his issues.

Will you be having security at your event? You might want to give them a heads-up.

It sounds like he is using his condition to manipulate others, that he knows what he is doing and doesn't care if it gives the rest of us on the spectrum a bad name. Just because someone is on the spectrum doesn't get a free pass.

And what is this Ableist BS anyway? I have a sister who has a physical handicap and if anyone should be whining about Ableism it should be her. Instead she went out and got her Ph.D. Yes, it was hard for her, but she is DAMN proud of it and will let you know in a heartbeat that she is. What has this guy done except cause trouble?

You've given him far more chances than a lot of people would. You've been very explicit about the rules. He is choosing to break them and insisting he get a free pass because of his issues.

Will you be having security at your event? You might want to give them a heads-up.

Exactly. We cant use our conditions as handicaps. We overcome them and they should never be used to try to get what we want from mother people. Eventually, nobody gets special treatment.

New Threads

Top Bottom