• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Local Aspie Making A Difference

Judge

V.I.P Member
A nice local news story I saw this evening I wanted to share. A young man with ASD who has found his calling as a motivational speaker for autism. His presentation resonated with me in discussing not only his autism, but anxiety, depression and OCD.

Autistic Motivational Speaker

Last edited:
He seems a brave young man with almost invisible disabilities in this public life. I'm glad he's chosen to speak out, hopefully he'll be able to continue on with this. Not something I would choose to do, yet speaking about the difficulties he has helps him and others.

The kinds of things we hide from others, like depression, anxiety, our OCD might be better not hidden from the public eye. Our adaptations seem like a double-edged sword at times.

The kinds of things we hide from others, like depression, anxiety, our OCD might be better not hidden from the public eye. Our adaptations seem like a double-edged sword at times.

I think about that a lot. Mostly because even in my old age I continue to hide such things, other than with my peers here in this community who understand and can relate.

I think about that a lot. Mostly because even in my old age I continue to hide such things, other than with my peers here in this community who understand.

In my generational upbringing, you didn't show what might appear to be any sort of weakness that you could be taunted with or could be used against you in some way. It's understandable that it remains hidden out of pure habit.

Now they know that repression simply creates subliminal difficulties, that manifest later. That don't really disappear, they seem to bide their time and return when we least expect them.

He's even a good speaker! And I love how the video wasn't even three minutes long!

Sorry, I was attempting to make fun of how often and the context with which the reporters use the word "even". And I guess they read it for the first time off a teleprompter? Because sometimes the way they stress words sounds like they don't know what they said.

Sorry to go on about the reporters, I don't usually see things like that. The guy seems like an awesome person!

I really liked it when he mentioned Autism being a gift he just didn’t know how to open yet,

and how he didn’t know if he’d get out of bed the following morning.

Inspiring stuff :)

In my generational upbringing, you didn't show what might appear to be any sort of weakness ...

Mine either.
‘Flaws’ were never advertised.

Becoming expert in not standing out or drawing attention to self.
Covert and camouflage.

New Threads

Top Bottom