• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Living Well on the Spectrum

Living Well on the Spectrum 2014-10-21

Pyrola

Pyrola submitted a new resource:

Living Well on the Spectrum - How to Use Your Strengths to Meet the Challenges of Asperger Syndrome/High-Functioning Autism

Navigating the "neurotypical" world with Asperger syndrome or high-functioning autism (AS/HFA) can be extremely stressful. But by understanding the specific ways your brain works differently--and how to tap into your personal strengths--you can greatly enhance your well-being. In this wise and practical book, experienced therapist Valerie L. Gaus helps you identify goals that will make your life better and take concrete steps to achieve them. Grounded in psychological science, the techniques in...

Read more about this resource...

Can't wait to read this one! Especially the chapter on Social Skills. Thanks.
I hope you'll enjoy it! I think it's a really nice book, it's very easy to read and I love how it emphasizes aspie weaknesses are often just the flip side of aspie strengths. It's very positive and encouraging!

I have this book! I totally recommend it; it's an extremely insightful workbook and it has so much excellent advice. I carry it with me on my daily trips to the coffee shop/Barne's and Noble just because there are so many interesting things in it! My new therapist (part of AuSM; has a great rating) saw I had the book at the end of my recent evaluation and was like, "That book! I love that book! I totally recommend it!" :tearsofjoy:

I haven't read the book yet, but it seems to be about the approach I adopted by trial and error. Glad someone wrote it down in a form others can understand.

I haven't read the book yet, but it seems to be about the approach I adopted by trial and error. Glad someone wrote it down in a form others can understand.
That's what is interesting about being (possibly) diagnosed in my 40s. I now see advice books offering suggestions that I spent years unknowingly developing. I've read a few books in the last 2 months and I find myself just nodding in agreement. Seems I was on the right track, but I chuckle on the inside thinking that surely the next generation will be more successful than me.

I bought this book right before I was officially diagnosed. I definitely recommend it - and if you're seeing a therapist, you may want them to go through the exercises with you.

I've got this book too. I admit I haven't been giving it as much attention as I should at the moment but it's a great book to read as it offers practical solutions to one's problems we face during the typical day. Most books I've read have been talking about other people's experiences but not offering practical solutions, it's great knowing that here's other people out there facing the same problems but you're going to eventually need more than that. And from what I've read of this book it offers that.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!!!

It is so very helpful! LIving Well on the Spectrum offers both understanding/in sight in how our brains work, and practical ways to live (that the book helps you solve for yourself. Not a one size fits all approach to problem solving).

A must read IMO. :rolleyes:

I've got this book reserved at the library, can't wait to read it. I just finished reading "A Field Guide To Earthliings" it helped me understand conversations better. Has anyone else read that book?

New Threads

Top Bottom