• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Live Music Poll!

Live music?

• Hell yeah.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Nope.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Arenas and stadiums.

• Outdoor amphitheaters.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Mid size theater venues.

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Intimate small audience venues.

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Music festivals.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Bars with live bands.

• I like it so loud my ears ring after the show is over.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I am stage diving, crowd surfing, slam dancing.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
All of the above, except I have never experienced a stage dive or crowdsurfing, but I did narrowly escape a mosh pit once lol (I was seeing I Prevail live, I think in 2015)

I have been to several music festivals, including Safe in Sound festival, and Ultra Miami. I was a seriously hardcore raver and festival attendee when I was younger.
I never felt the need to use any type of rave drugs and rarely even got drunk at festivals, because the music was immersive enough without it.
I have seen a variety of bands and artists live, both mainstream and underground, and everything from metal to rap to Dubstep.

I'm a weirdo and I love going to nightclubs and listening to loud music and dancing. I would still go every weekend if I could, but now I would probably be the oldest person there by almost 10 years lol, and I usually fall asleep by 9pm.

Little mixed on this. I saw Frank Zappa in Finland. Saw Rod Stewart in a tiny stage in Frisco, and Steel Pulse on a venue on Broadway in Frisco. Otherwise l watch it on the telly. I worked the Tiki bar, and bartender, waitresses with full on bands and about 100 people who mostly were sloppy drunk.

I don't love it but I have done it several times. Everything from seeing The Offspring in a garage with just 250 people to medium sized The Cardigans concerts to crazy rave events with 15 000 people. I prefer the small and more intimate venues. Because the big ones are exhausting. Music festivals usually gets more and more dreary as time goes by, the first day is fun and then it gradually gets more dirty and messed up. Now I like to just relax and enjoy a small venue. I'm not 20 anymore.

Talking about live music, I found out today that Guns N' Roses are playing in Oslo in June. Guns N' Roses! :D Such a blast from the past.

Last edited:
Little mixed on this. I saw Frank Zappa in Finland.

Very cool :) My dad saw Zappa at a small college, in the 70s, and got to shake his hand.

I voted no, but there are some concerts I've enjoyed. I got to see Pavement, They Might Be Giants, Ween, and The Flaming Lips. I saw Sonic Youth twice, but they were kind of boring, unfortunately. Kool Keith was a major letdown. And the first concert I chose to go to was Iggy Pop, at this little bar. He had on some purple pants and was jumping all over the place.

Last edited:
I used to love seeing live music and back then I would have answered yes to every one of the poll options except for the ears ringing and stage diving. I do recall my ears were ringing so loudly after I saw The Pixies around 1992 that I could barely hear my voice while I was talking after the show walking back to the car. Occasionally I would stuff moistened pieces of bar napkins in my ears if a show was really loud but most of the time back then I didn't wear earplugs at all. Not good for my lifelong tinnitus I already had prior to that.

I've seen too many shows to remember them all. I lived in Minneapolis in the early 1990s back then so the music scene was vibrant from hanging out at First Avenue very often to going to small bars to see other acts like Alex Chilton and Jonathan Richman.

I recall seeing Beck and First Avenue as an opening act for someone. It was just Beck with an acoustic guitar and a mic on a stand. It was pre-Mellow Gold. NO ONE was paying any attention to him and he was drowned out by the crowd conversations. I had never heard of him at that point but I felt kind of bad for him because of how much he was being ignored.

The road map of my musical life has many streets and byways contained within it. It is also a bit difficult for me to pick favorites.

Small club performances I remember: Richard Thompson; Mike Nesmith in a country club in the San Fernando Valley; Steeleye Span at the Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood during the club's golden years (a few more performers there that my aged brain no longer recalls)

Amphitheaters: Peter Gabriel (twice) [more here too but....]

Arenas: Peter Gabriel; Pink Floyd; Bruce Springsteen (twice) [ I have to believe that these concerts are a big reason I have an 80 % hearing loss in both ears if you wish to talk about loud ;)]; U2; and a few others that I cannot call to mind at this precise moment.

Theatres: Prince / Sheila E; Tangerine Dream; The Blue Nile; countless Broadway Musicals if that music counts (some of it can be quite loud); A Keith Jarrett solo improvisational piano concert; there are more but they remain shrouded in mental fog.

This by no means covers the entire map of my musical history (I was part of a few live performances myself). I have yet to find a musical form that I cannot find something I relate to within it. The road I travelled to get to some of those performances was heavily influenced by my Asperger's. There is no question of that for me, and all before I had any clue that I was any different from those I associated with at the time of the expansion of my musical horizons.

I'll stop now!

Last big venue was Lolapalloza in Chicago's Grant Park. There was everything from Lou Reed, who may have started the set with Walk on the Wild Side and went on to furious freeformn riffs. With other acts like The Gaslight Anthem, The Decemberists, Gomez, Vampire Weekend, and closed out by The Killers. That was Lou Reed's last performance, I think.

Then I live near the Interlochen Arts Academy (#3 in the nation) where they attract some real interesting and avant guard groups like the Dublin Guitar Quartet playing with Roomfull of Teeth. As mind bending as Everything, Everywhere, All At Once. Many groups and performers go there because some are alumni.

Three years ago as we were in NOLA to celebrate the gay Easter Parade, saw us at the Palm Court. A restaurant and bar that hosted Dixieland players. You will hear the same who play Preservation Hall plus more. And you have your table for the night. Good food (crayfish pie was excellent), great music, perfect acoustics. The real Dixieland fans are at the bar discussing the nuances of each player. Put The Palm Court in your bucket list of live music.

Last edited:
The road map of my musical life has many streets and byways contained within it. It is also a bit difficult for me to pick favorites.

Small club performances I remember: Richard Thompson; Mike Nesmith in a country club in the San Fernando Valley; Steeleye Span at the Roxy Theatre in West Hollywood during the club's golden years (a few more performers there that my aged brain no longer recalls)

Amphitheaters: Peter Gabriel (twice) [more here too but....]

Arenas: Peter Gabriel; Pink Floyd; Bruce Springsteen (twice) [ I have to believe that these concerts are a big reason I have an 80 % hearing loss in both ears if you wish to talk about loud ;)]; U2; and a few others that I cannot call to mind at this precise moment.

Theatres: Prince / Sheila E; Tangerine Dream; The Blue Nile; countless Broadway Musicals if that music counts (some of it can be quite loud); A Keith Jarrett solo improvisational piano concert; there are more but they remain shrouded in mental fog.

This by no means covers the entire map of my musical history (I was part of a few live performances myself). I have yet to find a musical form that I cannot find something I relate to within it. The road I travelled to get to some of those performances was heavily influenced by my Asperger's. There is no question of that for me, and all before I had any clue that I was any different from those I associated with at the time of the expansion of my musical horizons.

I'll stop now!
Of course Broadway Musicals count, especially by Sondheim. We already have tickets to see Merrily We Roll Along by Sondheim this fall on Broadway. Daniel Radcliffe has the lead in this musical played backward.

OH MAN! Steeleye Span!! I would give my left *** to have seen them. That music got me through some very low times in my life

I saw Bruce Springsteen in a big park arena in Leeds UK many years ago. And the Indigo girls in Manchester. I used to go to WOMAD and camp, near Reading, for a few summers. I liked the atmosphere and tended to listen to the music from afar.

I don't get the chance to go to concerts very often as I live in a rural area, but have seen a few local bands, mainly in outdoor locations. I'm not a big fan of large crowds and crammed indoor locations, though a concert hall/theatre is ok.

When I was a student, the Student's Union used to host live events quite regularly.

I've seen: Fish, Blondie, Pain of Salvation, Celelalte Cuvinte, Von Hertzen Brothers, Vasilis Papakonstantinou, Dyonisis Savvopoulos, Ypogeia Revmata and a few others.

Concerts often disappoint, they are a bit hit-and-miss. I've been to really great concert - Pain of Salvation were excellent, but I've been to others where the artist was clearly tired after long touring and many performances, and the whole thing was kind of half-hearted and lack-lustre.

I love concerts.
I've been to every type of concert. From the pop cultures of Engelbert Humperdinck
and Barry Manilow, (both, throughout my life and theirs.)
To the loud crowds in arenas and amphitheaters.
80's rock is my favorite. Styx, Foreigner, White Snake, Tom Petty, Springsteen, Pink Floyd, Billy Idol, TSO and more.
I like the lasers and some with pyrotechnics along with the music.

I was just at an outdoor rock concert Saturday, and it was so loud I couldn't take being in front of it. Started getting sensory overload. Had to listen from the sides.

I used to like raves without drugs. Can't rave anymore. Can barely walk.
Time is not on my side. Good times when I could though.

How about even this dude? ;)
60bday 091.JPG

I've seen some live music.

Bands are too risky. Most I saw sounded terrible live. They couldn't sing, or they were drowned out by the instrumentals. The tempo was off. Basically the songs I knew and loved were ruined - by the musicians themselves. The irony. If I'm used to a song from a studio album, anything other than said version will make my brain fizz.

I went to a fair few illegal raves and squat parties for underground electronic genres. Now that sort of things was amazing to see live.

Here's one I attended, although not filmed by me. We went to another rave weeks later and funnily enough they broke into the same warehouse to host the rave:

Ed

This is one of the better concerts I have been to, keep an eye on the guy playing the deep freezer and stove, he is Kristopher and he is hilarious. He has the right amount of intensity. And ADHD. Lady Gaga never sounded this good. :D

Last edited:
I love live music, in all sorts of places. Mostly crowds at music events are fine for me because people are more focused on their own friends and the band. If I go with a group of people, then it gets a bit more uncomfortable.

My first ever concert was Monsters of Rock at Donnington, 1988, headlined by Iron Maiden.

I've seen a lot of heavy rock, metal and thrash metal bands.

Then later in life my taste has grown to cover many genres including classical, blues, electronic.

I saw a fabulous performance of Beethoven's 7th Symphony by the Handel and Haydn Society at the Symphony Hall in Boston - on period instruments.

New Threads

Top Bottom