• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lithium in water lower suicide?

Lithium has been proven to be a good anti-depressant. I remember reading an article about some hot springs that had large amounts of lithium in then and people that bathed in them where a lot happier than those that didn't.

I am vehemently opposed to drugging people without their consent -- particularly when the delivery vehicle for the drug is water. To add drugs to the water is to violate every citizen's bodily integrity and their basic right to offer or withhold consent to medical treatment (you may say that people can choose to filter it or buy bottled water, but plenty of people can't afford to do that.)

Additionally, you could be putting people at risk for serious health problems. Lithium may have benefits for some or even most, but it can cause problems for others -- it can, for example, interact with other medications and even foods (like grapefruit/grapefruit juice) in dangerous ways. Even without drug and food interactions, it would be impossible to regulate individual dosages because people don't all drink the same amounts of water, and water that's been boiled for any significant period of time will have higher concentrations of lithium (like if someone fills a large kettle in the morning, and then brings it to a boil several times throughout the day for individual cups of tea, or in homemade broth...basically the more water evaporates, the higher the dose of lithium per cup of water, because the lithium would not turn into vapor with the water -- it would stay in the kettle or the pot).

(And you may ask, then, if I'm opposed to fluoridating water, and my answer is yes; I drink the fluoridated water in my city and I think it's probably harmless to me, but that doesn't change my position on this issue -- I think it's wrong to drug people without their individual consent (and just because fluoride and lithium are naturally occuring doesn't change my opinion that, when used in carefully calculated amounts for a specific medical purpose, they qualify as "drugs"....or, perhaps it would be better for me to say that I am opposed to forcing healthcare interventions on people, preventative or otherwise, whether using naturally occuring or synthetic substances.))

I am vehemently opposed to drugging people without their consent -- particularly when the delivery vehicle for the drug is water. To add drugs to the water is to violate every citizen's bodily integrity and their basic right to offer or withhold consent to medical treatment (you may say that people can choose to filter it or buy bottled water, but plenty of people can't afford to do that.)

Additionally, you could be putting people at risk for serious health problems. Lithium may have benefits for some or even most, but it can cause problems for others -- it can, for example, interact with other medications and even foods (like grapefruit/grapefruit juice) in dangerous ways. Even without drug and food interactions, it would be impossible to regulate individual dosages because people don't all drink the same amounts of water, and water that's been boiled for any significant period of time will have higher concentrations of lithium (like if someone fills a large kettle in the morning, and then brings it to a boil several times throughout the day for individual cups of tea, or in homemade broth...basically the more water evaporates, the higher the dose of lithium per cup of water, because the lithium would not turn into vapor with the water -- it would stay in the kettle or the pot).

(And you may ask, then, if I'm opposed to fluoridating water, and my answer is yes; I drink the fluoridated water in my city and I think it's probably harmless to me, but that doesn't change my position on this issue -- I think it's wrong to drug people without their individual consent (and just because fluoride and lithium are naturally occuring doesn't change my opinion that, when used in carefully calculated amounts for a specific medical purpose, they qualify as "drugs"....or, perhaps it would be better for me to say that I am opposed to forcing healthcare interventions on people, preventative or otherwise, whether using naturally occuring or synthetic substances.))

This! Just this! Everything I could possibly say is contained in this Quote! I wish I could have hit the 'Agree' button more than once!

Whoa nelly! Everyone settle down! I just finished reading the article. Nobody's calling for involuntary administering of anything. It is a rather more nuanced take on things than that. Recommended reading.

And I never knew that lithium was an ingredient in 7-Up up until 1950.

It is not put in the water. I agree. I think it's terrible to add fluoride to water and I won't drink it. This is naturally occurring. It is not man made. It's not like the gadolinium and Prozac that we are "finding" in our waters now. This was always there.

Alcyon- I never knew that, either! Wow. And to think people are into pop (soda) now, imagine back in the day. Cocaine in Mellow Yellow, Lithium in 7-Up, and I think another had something else in it. HA! And now that it is just sweetener and water, even more people want it.

We live in a crazy world.

New Threads

Top Bottom