• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Listeners prefer the laughs of children with autism..."

IContainMultitudes

V.I.P Member
Something I came across that I found kind of interesting:

Listeners prefer the laughs of children with autism to those of typically developing children

The purpose of this study was to investigate the impact of laugh sounds produced by 8- to 10-year-old children with and without autism on na?ve listeners, and to evaluate if listeners could distinguish between the laughs of the two groups. Results showed that listeners rated the laughs of children with autism more positively than the laughs of typically developing children, and that they were slightly above chance levels at judging which group produced the laugh. A subset of participants who reported listening for ?uncontrolled? or ?longer? laughs were significantly better at discriminating between the laughs of the two groups. Our results suggest that the laughs of children with autism have the potential to promote the formation of relationships.

It's strange that the laugh is pointed out, people always comment on mine.
I was told it was immature, like I can't restrain it or tone it down or something. I've had a lot of weird descriptive words about it.

Supposedly Aspies have a distinctive voice and walk, it wouldn't shock me if a certain type of laugh was also a feature.

I think I've heard of at least one or two NT people saying that they found their aspie romantic partner's voice soothing, could there be something similar going on there? I wonder if that's something that could give some people on the spectrum a slight advantage when it comes to finding relationships.

Last edited:
I think I've heard of at least one or two NT people saying that they found their aspie romantic partner's voice soothing, could there be something similar going on there? I wonder if that's something that could give some people on the spectrum a slight advantage when it comes to finding relationships.

I'm not sure, I've been told my voice is charming/interesting/whatever else, although of course it's difficult for someone to judge their own voice (although I find it odd to have a charming voice and a baby-ish laugh at the same time). I've been told it has a very distinctive delivery, like it's extra enunciation while being a bit on the calm, monotone side. But that could just be me (or if that's inaccurate, not me at all perhaps).

But my guess is the difference between a Top 10 radio DJ and a Classical Music radio DJ.

My (possibly aspie) friend's voice is really beautiful and soothing. Since we're not romantically involved I teased him about the effect it must have on other women! ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom