• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lip Balm Recommendations

Magna

V.I.P Member
I use lip balm multiple times per day and must have it with me or within my reach at all times.

For years I've used a certain brand called Burt's Bees Peppermint. It comes in a stick form. I've tried alternatives but I haven't found something that meets or exceeds my requirements which the Burt's Bees does. I'm open to change if possible. One reason I'd like to find an alternative is to purchase from a smaller company in the U.S.

My hope is that there are people out there that are familiar with the Burt's Bees Peppermint lip balm and have an alternative they'd recommend. Here are my requirements:

• Must be in a stick. I won't use a lidded container because my fingers are often dirty and I won't rub dirty fingers on my lips.
  • Must have a noticeable amount of natural peppermint, enough to feel a noticeable tingle.
  • Must have a fairly firm texture. I've tried some other products that were more olive or other oil based and the balm was softer and seemed to stay on my lips in a sensation I didn't like rather than gradually soak in.
  • Can't have unnatural chemicals in it. It would be ideal if the ingredients were organic.
  • I don't want sunscreen in the lip balm.
Any help would be appreciated.

Wüstner Brothers Honey

I’ve used this for a long time. It is splendid. Meets your criteria - those are slmost the same as mine. It comes in several scents, maybe peppermint maybe not.
6EC92E6F-FCF4-45D3-BC2B-9C27673FA717.jpeg

Wüstner Brothers Honey

I’ve used this for a long time. It is splendid. Meets your criteria - those are slmost the same as mine. It comes in several scents, maybe peppermint maybe not.
View attachment 72557

Thanks for the recommendation. Is is firmer and waxy or is it softer? I prefer firm lip balms. I've tried one with either olive or safflower oil as a base before and it was a weird texture to me. Almost a microscopically grainy texture on my lips and it left an oily coating on my lips that didn't soak in.

The balms I’ve used from them are their own honeybee’s wax with something else in the mix to make it glide onto the lips. It is nice and smooth, no graininess. Not oily. To me its texture is just right.

I use it all year ‘round. In winter when I hike or jog in cold temperatures I put it on my cheeks and nose too.

It looks like they’re sold out, according to that website. If I find one around town I’ll get you one.

Last edited:
I also have lip balm within reach at all times! This is the first time I've heard of another person doing that. But I use Carmex, which does not meet your requirements.

Only lip balm I use regularly is ChapStick. Have a fondness for cherry flavor but they do make peppermint ChapStick. Everything else is too runny or too hard. If it isn't local - can't imagine why it wouldn't be - you can buy it on Amazon.

Amazon.com : Peppermint ChapStick

If you are adequately and consistently hydrated, then you shouldn't need lip gunk. A major clue that children are dehydrated is to look at their lips. If their lips are dry, cracking, flaking, then the child urgently needs to drink water. Plain water, not soft drinks which act as diuretics. I've seen children with red, chapped rings around their lips caused by licking their lips to offset dryness. It's parental neglect.

I use lip balm multiple times per day and must have it with me or within my reach at all times.

For years I've used a certain brand called Burt's Bees Peppermint. It comes in a stick form. I've tried alternatives but I haven't found something that meets or exceeds my requirements which the Burt's Bees does. I'm open to change if possible. One reason I'd like to find an alternative is to purchase from a smaller company in the U.S.

My hope is that there are people out there that are familiar with the Burt's Bees Peppermint lip balm and have an alternative they'd recommend. Here are my requirements:

• Must be in a stick. I won't use a lidded container because my fingers are often dirty and I won't rub dirty fingers on my lips.
  • Must have a noticeable amount of natural peppermint, enough to feel a noticeable tingle.
  • Must have a fairly firm texture. I've tried some other products that were more olive or other oil based and the balm was softer and seemed to stay on my lips in a sensation I didn't like rather than gradually soak in.
  • Can't have unnatural chemicals in it. It would be ideal if the ingredients were organic.
  • I don't want sunscreen in the lip balm.
Any help would be appreciated.

Just apply a generous layer of vaseline or milking grease before bed. It will lock in hydration. Gently peel your lips before doing so with a washcloth (there are special washcloths for peelin, most lip scrubs are too harsh.)

During the day, a thin layer of vaseline is enough.

Tip comes from a girl with very full lips. I no longer have any problems since following this routine, as a kid I suffered from chapped lips all the time.

Extra tip: Eyeshadow applied with a makeup brush and vaseline can also replace lipstick. Use a thin angular brush and darker colours to line your lips.

I love Burt’s Bees.

If you are adequately and consistently hydrated, then you shouldn't need lip gunk.
Staying hydrated is important for sure, but cold, dry winter air and dry indoor air with the heating cranked up can cause cracked and irritated lips in properly hydrated people too. Especially those with sensitive skin or pre-existent skin conditions.

I love Burt’s Bees.

Staying hydrated is important for sure, but cold, dry winter air and dry indoor air with the heating cranked up can cause cracked and irritated lips in properly hydrated people too. Especially those with sensitive skin or pre-existent skin conditions.

I used a thin layer of vaseline when I snow skied to prevent wind chapping. It worked fine for me.

I love Burt’s Bees.

Yes, also a lot of people sleep with their mouth open so applying lip balm before bed is essential. My lips are very sensitive (I have some issues with neurodermitis) and especially in winter I can't leave the house without some precautions. I used to wear lots of lip stick but grew allergic to it and after some trial and error I found out that eyeshadow is better for the sensitive skin on you lips. You just need to finish with some vaseline.

Isn’t Vaseline also lip gunk?

I suppose so. But it contains no wax, perfumes, flavors, or chemicals to prevent melting or to add other characteristics to promote long shelf life and grab consumers' attention. It's more pure than most of the lip gunk sold over the counter.

I suppose so. But it contains no wax, perfumes, flavors, or chemicals to prevent melting or to add other characteristics to promote long shelf life and grab consumers' attention. It's more pure than most of the lip gunk sold over the counter.
Ok, then I guess I misunderstood your post where I thought you said hydration was enough and lip gunk wasn’t needed.

So if I understand correctly, you’re against lip care cosmetics, but not against lip care per se?

Because if you’re going for purity, one might argue that petroleum jelly isn’t the purest of things to use ;)

(I’m a fan of using Vaseline for my dry, cracked skin, but I don’t have a problem with skin/lip cosmetics as long as they do their job well)

Ok, then I guess I misunderstood your post where I thought you said hydration was enough and lip gunk wasn’t needed.

So if I understand correctly, you’re against lip care cosmetics, but not against lip care per se?

Because if you’re going for purity, one might argue that petroleum jelly isn’t the purest of things to use ;)

(I’m a fan of using Vaseline for my dry, cracked skin, but I don’t have a problem with skin/lip cosmetics as long as they do their job well)

I don't have a problem with lip care cosmetics or lip care per se. I do question the wisdom of constantly and addictively smearing various waxes and chemicals on one's lips when adequate hydration of the whole body will obviate much of the need and desire to buy and apply lip gunk. If the air inside the house is dry, simmer some water on the stove to add moisture. I suspect that the ingredients in most lip balms actually dry out lips, causing the consumer to buy and apply more of the stuff.

Just saying.... there are other ways to keep one's lips healthy and hydrated.

Better to use vegetable \nut oils ,a mix of coconut and olive oil for immunity and hydration\skin protection ,probably twice a day

If you are adequately and consistently hydrated, then you shouldn't need lip gunk. A major clue that children are dehydrated is to look at their lips. If their lips are dry, cracking, flaking, then the child urgently needs to drink water. Plain water, not soft drinks which act as diuretics. I've seen children with red, chapped rings around their lips caused by licking their lips to offset dryness. It's parental neglect.

This is absolutely false and cannot believe you actually think it’s “parental neglect”!

My ASD son who is 12 years old is constantly drinking water, day and night. He sometimes has Sprite or Sprite/Powerade, but drinks more water than anything. He currently has red, flaky, and chapped lips because he continues to lick or suck on them due to a sensory issue. We are constantly buying him chapstick and reminding him not to lick/suck his lips.

Please realize there are things parents cannot control especially with an ASD individual!

New Threads

Top Bottom