• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Likability=Power

pelecanus87

Not power in terms of domination or anything like that, but power in terms of being in the position to influence people, assert your will, and gain opportunities.

I believe that people fundamentally want to assert themselves and be influential in this world and being on the spectrum makes being liked very difficult. Which makes it difficult to assert oneself in this world.

Thoughts?

Power in terms of domination is what NT's are using to keep us down. Take a look at Autism Speaks is doing.

I suppose you are right or there wouldn't be articles written for the "work world" on how to be more likable, studies about its impact, etc.

However, using the fact that people like you as a basis to get stuff (work, money, attention) from them is kind of creepy and manipulative.

I suppose you are right or there wouldn't be articles written for the "work world" on how to be more likable, studies about its impact, etc.

However, using the fact that people like you as a basis to get stuff (work, money, attention) from them is kind of creepy and manipulative.
I agree, but to be fair, most people don't do it as conscious manipulation. For example, as a new employee at work, many people will instinctively feel the need to quickly make "allies".

Knowledge, confidence and a wholehearted belief in what you're doing may influence followers or change someones opinion?

It maybe slightly easier if you're charismatic, look at cults and psychopaths ?

Not made impossible by being on the spectrum though. If you believe, passionately in your project, others will pay attention.

I think real power and freedom comes from not overly concerning oneself with how one is perceived by others.

IMG_0716.JPG

I just do the best I can do with what I have. I try and be genuine in my mostly silent stoic weirdness.

At work I suppose I am liked. I'm in charge, and I don't have people running away screaming or anything.
We basically have a no turnover situation with the employees, so I just try and keep us productive and be appreciative for the jobs they do. I have mostly really good people to work with so I never try and pull any stunts that will change that.

In my twisted view, it is to respect everyone and never look down on them. If they have messed up, I let them know I mess up also. Respect isn't given, it is earned. I try and earn and never force anyone to like me. So far so good. As for just casual chit chat... I suck and its a mess. I even want to run and hide at times, seriously. So in that case likability and power both go out the window... So will I if you turn away for a second...

I make for a great escape artist at times. : )

Not power in terms of domination or anything like that, but power in terms of being in the position to influence people, assert your will, and gain opportunities.

I believe that people fundamentally want to assert themselves and be influential in this world and being on the spectrum makes being liked very difficult. Which makes it difficult to assert oneself in this world.

Thoughts?

I personally do not think likability is power, as then why are some of the biggest unlikeable persons in powerful or professional positions? A likeable person to me is a nice person, one that is not too arrogant, dishonest, immoral and unethical. To me, a likable person should not prioritize personal achievement, or be obsessed with their own happiness, but instead have caring, unselfish and down to earth qualities.

What I find is power is self-esteem and knowledge or intelligence, and I would add things like communication ability, assertiveness, sexual attractiveness, and self-motivation, to name a few more. Sometimes having just one of these can take someone very far, but sometimes a few or more such traits are needed. Unfortunately, being too honest, pleasing, and too quiet, doubting or hypersensitive are not the best ways for most to succeed.

Thoughts?

More succinctly put: Politics

We are bad at at. Perhaps worse than at any other single thing.

I just do the best I can do with what I have. I try and be genuine in my mostly silent stoic weirdness.

At work I suppose I am liked. I'm in charge, and I don't have people running away screaming or anything.
We basically have a no turnover situation with the employees, so I just try and keep us productive and be appreciative for the jobs they do. I have mostly really good people to work with so I never try and pull any stunts that will change that.

In my twisted view, it is to respect everyone and never look down on them. If they have messed up, I let them know I mess up also. Respect isn't given, it is earned. I try and earn and never force anyone to like me. So far so good. As for just casual chit chat... I suck and its a mess. I even want to run and hide at times, seriously. So in that case likability and power both go out the window... So will I if you turn away for a second...

Sorry chance I had to laugh slightly hysterically when you said they don't run away screaming

Zero staff turnover = good management.

You can't hide from that.
trying to convince us that you're maddy mcmadface..

Not going to work. You're going to have to step up your game,buster. You're not mad in the slightest....
:)

Zero staff turnover = good management.

You can't hide from that.
trying to convince us that you're maddy mcmadface..

Not going to work. You're going to have to step up your game,buster. You're not mad in the slightest....
:)

Maybe not Maddy Mcmadface, more like Marty McFly... I don't know what the hell I even doing sometimes but somehow it just works out...

Seriously we have a good thing going. Of course there are days from hell (thats anywhere). Its a golf course and camping resort. People get upset about stupid stuff, and treat people ugly just like anywhere else.
For the most part (with the exception of a couple of part -time guys who are a small nightmare at times) we are a close nit group of people. I learned from my old boss (before I took his place) to NEVER treat people the way he did. Or even worse never treat people like they treated me as they have treated me all my life...

New Threads

Top Bottom